CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
Brian Cerasuolo

Profile:
Any reason for more than an R3?

Hey I currently forced to workout at home right now so I was looking into investing into a nice home setup for a room in my house.

I'm going to stall mat it and use it as a lifting area.

I was looking for a good rack, and I see the Rogue R3 pop up a lot, but looking through the site, they have tons of other bigger/more expensive racks too

Is there really any reason from a possibility potential that the R3 can't handle. Like you could pretty much do any lift you could think of safely in it? the bigger cages are pretty much just convenience/gympeen at a bigger cost?

Thanks for the opinions
Old 09-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Stuart Bryden

Profile:
Re: Any reason for more than an R3?

Brian,

I have the R4 and went for it over the R3 because of concerns with 2 things. I wanted 2 people to be able to do kipping pullups at the same time (R3 depth at 23" might lead to lots of kicking each other in the junk and I don't like that).

The other one is related to depth also, being able to squat/press in the rack abd feel like I have room. This is fine in the R4 at 43" but again at 23" on the R3 not so sure. Take into consideration the plate storage which can reduce your space even more. Regardless of which one you get I recommend getting the single pin plate storage (more expensive but more flexible, the double pin storage gets in the way of the safety pins).

Good luck
Old 09-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
Matthew Vesey

Profile:

I have the R6 (R3+R4 combined). The R3 serves as my area for storage of plates, bands, ropes, etc. In my honest opinion, it is a very small area to lift in and is quite claustrophobic. I would stick with an R4 if you are looking for a rack or an S-2+ if you want to have no issues with overhead ability.
Age:24, Height: 5'10, Weight: 180, 5km Row: 17:15.3, 500m Row:1:23.6, BS: 440, DL:540, Press: 205:My Log(WFS)
Old 09-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
Joey Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cerasuolo View Post
Hey I currently forced to workout at home right now so I was looking into investing into a nice home setup for a room in my house.

I'm going to stall mat it and use it as a lifting area.

I was looking for a good rack, and I see the Rogue R3 pop up a lot, but looking through the site, they have tons of other bigger/more expensive racks too

Is there really any reason from a possibility potential that the R3 can't handle. Like you could pretty much do any lift you could think of safely in it? the bigger cages are pretty much just convenience/gympeen at a bigger cost?

Thanks for the opinions
I have the R3. It is a Godsend, especially in my smallish home gym. Would've loved something bigger, but the money and space were limitations. I have not come across any real limitations as far as exercises go with the R3. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. If I had the mula and the space sure I would go bigger.. but is it really needed? Nope.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
Gus Patino

Profile:

I owned my R3 for a year and a half and LOVE IT! You wont regret it, now if you take more than 2 to 3 steps before you squat the 2 foot depth could be a problem for you.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #6
Vilan Natanzon

Profile:

New Bolt together R-3 http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-bolt-together-r-3.php (wfs) comes in 30" depth, might be a good compromise.

Westside Barbell uses an R-3. If those big dudes can fit in it and it can handle their abuse, probably good enough for anyone.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
Andy Kauth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Allen View Post
I have the R3. It is a Godsend, especially in my smallish home gym. Would've loved something bigger, but the money and space were limitations. I have not come across any real limitations as far as exercises go with the R3. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. If I had the mula and the space sure I would go bigger.. but is it really needed? Nope.
This makes sense. If it is going in your house, and space is an issue, go R-3--I would imagine that depending upon space you won't have much room left if you go bigger. At my previous affiliate (am currently back in the garage), we used R-3s--we never had issues with space inside and did have a few big dudes. We used it for all and any lifts (from floor press to reverse band work)--no space issues. My next garage gym purchase will be an R-3.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #8
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilan Natanzon View Post
New Bolt together R-3 http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-bolt-together-r-3.php (wfs) comes in 30" depth, might be a good compromise.

Westside Barbell uses an R-3. If those big dudes can fit in it and it can handle their abuse, probably good enough for anyone.
Yeah, I have the shorty version of the R3. 6" shorter than regular ones, allows it to fit in a basement. Love it, definitely unnecessary to get anything bigger.

As far as the space arguement, you shouldn't need to step that far out of the rack while squatting, it is a waste of energy. And if when you squat the bar moves forward or backwards enough to hit the uprights you'll be falling over anyways. You have more problems than the depth of the rack. Heavy squats move up and down in a straight line.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #9
Eric J Leon

Profile:

The R3 is all you need
Old 09-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #10
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I don't own an R3, but the gym I used to go to had several. I liked it a lot. I had no issues with the space inside the rack. Were I in the market for a power rack I think the R3 is all I would need and I wouldn't hesitate to get one.