CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-04-2011, 10:37 PM   #91
Devin Ford

Profile:
Re: CrossFit: The Superior Sport? Controversial Argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Westside is great. Best program I have used to get strong. I actually toyed around with doing Olympic lifts on the DE days and ut was working pretty good until I joined a new gym. I had a great running foundation from soccer and the military, but I found that doing some sprints have helped get even better. I hate doing them, but the 4x800 meter runs helped a lot (3 minute rest between rounds.). I read your site and you have some great info. I love doing the Olympic lifts, so once I'm done in a few more weeks, I may have to look at Olympic lifting again. Do you just follow the workouts from mikes gym, or did you program your own stuff?
I followed his 12 week program, heres the link - http://www.mikesgym.org/programs/ind...m&programID=35

However now I program on my own and have doubled the gains. Primarily because I program to my own weakness and strengths. Allowing me to focus on certain things (like the pull for a snatch) that im weak at.

800m runs? I could NOT agree with you more!! Boy do they suck! I began doing them regularly about 2 weeks ago and already my running has gotten much much better. What gym are you at now? Is it a CrossFit gym?
Old 11-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #92
Devin Ford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Gasparre View Post
So you still sifted through 6 whole pages (which took you two minutes apparently) found where Devin says:

Because Katherine said:

I see that as a sarcastic tone, so Devin gave a little sass back, which he has been getting unmerited by his article. Devin didn't insult anyone and actually put up DEBATABLE points of views. She made the accusation that he was being insulting to convert peoples views to his own. Which was untrue, he simply claimed the sports he put forth didn't fit his definition of "superior" (but you read it so fast you probably missed it). Also Katherine is an adult and I think she handled herself well enough without you looking over her back for her. Only reason I'm here is because I want to debate his points and stumbled upon the Batman of Crossfit forums over here, protecting the downtrodden. So unless you have anything about the article which Katherine did have although I didn't agree with her last comment I respect her points.
Thank you. I never said anything to Katherine other then a simple misunderstanding. So please, get back on your high horse and ride into the sunset.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:08 PM   #93
Joe Gasparre

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Ford View Post
Thank you. I never said anything to Katherine other then a simple misunderstanding. So please, get back on your high horse and ride into the sunset.

You went with the chili pepper there I see. I like the way you roll Dev. He's really rocking out huh?
Old 11-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #94
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
I would then argue CrossFit has the most necessary skills. Why? Well for one the movements that we know are vast and incorporate many other sports (gymnastics, running, weight-lifting, oly lifting etc...) but more importantly, is the unknown factor.
CF does not have the most necessary skills.

Anecdotally, I can tell you that the sport I have personally been competitive at on a national level (4-way formation skydiving) required me to learn considerably more skills than CF has.

CF has lots of movements, but few skills. Double-unders are a skill. As are handstands. For CF, that's about it, and neither one is all that tricky. The oly lifts and power lifts require tremendous skill at high levels, but at CF weights require only strength and basic coordination. Gymnastics requires a huge suite of skills, none of which CF uses... pushups are not "gymnastics." The hardest gymnastic move we see is probably the muscle-up. I got my first muscle-up on my first attempt, so it can't be that hard.

No... CF is not and has never been about skills. CF is about raw energy output. And that's fine... but it certainly doesn't make it "superior."
Old 11-05-2011, 01:51 AM   #95
Pearse Shields

Profile:

I think this thread lost any potential several pages ago.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:01 AM   #96
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
I followed his 12 week program, heres the link - http://www.mikesgym.org/programs/ind...m&programID=35

However now I program on my own and have doubled the gains. Primarily because I program to my own weakness and strengths. Allowing me to focus on certain things (like the pull for a snatch) that im weak at.

800m runs? I could NOT agree with you more!! Boy do they suck! I began doing them regularly about 2 weeks ago and already my running has gotten much much better. What gym are you at now? Is it a CrossFit gym?
I don't go to a CrossFit gym. Too expensive for me right now. Also check out some HIIT training. You can do things such as sprinting for 1 min and jog for 1 min. On the treadmill, l'll sprint at 10MPH and jog at 6MPH. You can mix the times. 30 seconds sprint/30 seconds jog, 1 minute sprint/1 minute jog, 2 minute sprint/2 minute jog, etc. I do it for about 15 minutes. Outside on the track, you can do similar things.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #97
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post

But mostly these threads reflect a fundamental insecurity. Baseball players really don't care that they aren't as strong as football players. They just don't. Powerlifters don't care that they are slower than runners, anymore than runners care that they are weaker than powerlifters. Nor do any of those groups care about the things that Crossfitters can do better than they can. Do you really think people who compete in curling care what the world thinks of their sport? No. If they did, they'd do something else. It's a big world. There are plenty of choices, there's no need for one to be "better" than the others.

If you enjoy Crossfit, that's great. Good for you. I wish you success. But there are plenty of ways for you to succeed, and Crossfit to succeed, without these (futile) attempts to tear other sports down.

Katherine
Just browsed through a few of the posts on this thread... This post is spot on. I hadn't really thought of this aspect of it before, but the whole nature of Crossfit seems to set its die-hard followers up for this. Making a competitive athletic organization that prides itself on being good at everything and "as good as you at your sport and better than you at ours," or whatever it is Glassman says, really makes insecurities and lack of humility inevitable if you dive into it headfirst.
Thanks for the valuable insight, Katherine.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #98
Michael Capalbo

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks for the compliments and awesome points! I tend to agree with most of what you said, which raises the question is there a superior athlete?

I think at the very least the CrossFit Games have a legitimate claim to the fittest athletes in the world, and to be a legitimate sport! Which is awesome for us who love CrossFitting, as it gives us another avenue to go down in the CrossFit realm.

I believe the argument I laid out will come out again (not by me) once crossfit athletes are paid salaries and the sport hits prime time. Which is what Glassman told me is coming closer and closer. Crazy to think workouts that started in the garage have come so far!

I'm sure there will come a day when there are "professional" Crossfitters. There are professional bodybuilders, fitness competitors, and surfers. My understanding is that people are able to make a living in one way or another with say, rock climbing. And really, all sports are in some sense, a little esoteric. I mean, I love watching basketball, but if you think about it, all it is really is, is a bunch of people trying to put this orange-brown leather ball in this basket.

The Games workouts might need to be repackaged in the meanwhile, so that someone who doesn't do Crossfit still understands the drama/challenge involved. I don't think the public will get the appeal of someone doing 135-pound ground-to-overheads as fast as possible (they won't get how hard that actually is), but they might get the appeal of someone doing say 225-pound GTOs as fast as possible. Of course, the Oly lifting community will probably be horrified regardless.

The level of competition at the Games surely will keep going up and up. There are a lot of amazing athletes who could do very well at the Games but they don't compete. Why would they bother--they're having too much fun and success at the sport they are already in. As the publicity for the games keeps growing, more and more of these athletes might actually want to give it a try.

I would say Crossfit is a "legitimate" sport (but no more than any other sport). And this is really the appeal. Look, I have no illusions of my own athletic talent. But I love the feeling of going to a workout at the box ("practice") knowing that I just might, *might* be able to get on the affiliate team and compete. Kind of the excitement of being on a team again.

As far as where Crossfit is as a "sport", I say, look at rowing. Rowing is brutally brutally tough. You're near your redline for almost the whole 7 minutes of the race but then a "Power 10" is called and the pain gets kicked up another notch. The training resembles a Crossfit workout of sorts--lots of intervals on the ergs, and a good amount of weight training. Intense. But, BUT, if our country had a year to put together its fastest male boat, and we had all the incentive, AND all the resources in the world to bribe and publicize, do you think we would (a) call the 8 best rowers already on the National Team, or (b) instead beg the best athletes from (say) MLB, the NFL, or the NBA, and train them to row for that year.

Anyway, that is my take.

Last edited by Michael Capalbo : 11-05-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:43 AM   #99
Tom McFarlane

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
while i don't completely agree with you about sports needing an offense and defense, i have thought many times that some head to head competition events at the games would be a good idea. some of the old american gladiator type events, with some slight varaiation, could work well. there are millions of ideas, but it would certainly add to the level of competition in my opinion. in the team events if nothing else.
I agree 100% with this. Watching some of the games this year, I was surprised at just how boring a lot of it was -- L-sits, stationary bike, softball toss, etc. IMO, the games should borrow more from strongman, highland games, american gladiator, ninja warrior, tough mudder, etc. All of those are more exciting to watch and you could blend them to create a competition that tests just about any physical ability.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:30 AM   #100
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Quote:
You have a lot to learn about what critical thinking and argumentation is. If you have a statement you want to prove true, you create an argument and try your dam-nest to support it. You then open it to argumentation to see if it stands, if it does its deemed true, if it doesn't then you found a loop hole and need to revise the statement to get to truth. That is what I have done, what have you done? I am NOT insulting any other sport, did you even read the argument?
Socrates don't surf