CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #41
Rob Samuels

Profile:  
Re: CrossFit: The Superior Sport? Controversial Argument.

I have to agree, cookies and cream is the best. Probably simply because anything oreo stands on its own, add in ice cram and well thats just perfection....
Old 11-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #42
Daniel Wheeler

Profile:

"I just threw up in my mouth a little"

Dodgeball.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:43 PM   #43
Joe Gasparre

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Kanterman View Post
Wow where to start...

First, the statement that you want to "prove true" is an opinion and therefore unable to be factually proven. One sport being deemed superior to another is simply your opinion. I feel that Cookies and Cream is the superior flavor of ice cream...

Second, when you create a criteria that favors your chosen outcome...that's called bias. YOU have deemed "carryover into real life" as a core point of one sport being superior over the other. Why? You wanted to make a comparison in a way that supported your pre-established opinion, that's why.

Third:

"Figure skaters can eat cookies and still skate"

You don't feel this is insulting to competitive figure skaters? It is condescending...and insulting to the time, effort and dedication it takes to master that sport.

You are either unable or unwilling to understand that your (and other's) elitist attitude is probably the most bothersome thing that more level-headed people can find wrong with this massively growing CrossFit phenomenon. I'm sick of having to explain to people on the outside that "most people really aren't like that"
First off Devin is not like "that", and the fact that you are attacking him as a person because he has made a claim simply is ridiculous to me. Devin and I argue ALL of the time. Sometimes I see his point, sometimes he sees, mine and other times we just don't agree. I have never thought less of him and never will think of anyone less who disagrees with me. Second if you would have just stuck with the above statement I would have respected the argument and if you read my past would have agreed, which I still do agree.
However you chose:
Quote:
You have a lot to learn about what kind of article would "create open minded discussion". Boldly claiming your own method to be superior and insulting other sports is not the way to go about that.
Instead you completely avoiding the argument he has put forth and attack him as a person and not the claim. Going after a claim and the person are two different things and think you stating the first thing would have been a respectable and relevant case.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #44
Joe Gasparre

Profile:

PLUS YOU ARE ALL WRONG! Chocolate is the only good flavor of ice cream do ya' research!
Old 11-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #45
Devin Ford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Kanterman View Post
Wow where to start...

First, the statement that you want to "prove true" is an opinion and therefore unable to be factually proven. One sport being deemed superior to another is simply your opinion. I feel that Cookies and Cream is the superior flavor of ice cream...

Second, when you create a criteria that favors your chosen outcome...that's called bias. YOU have deemed "carryover into real life" as a core point of one sport being superior over the other. Why? You wanted to make a comparison in a way that supported your pre-established opinion, that's why.

Third:

"Figure skaters can eat cookies and still skate"

You don't feel this is insulting to competitive figure skaters? It is condescending...and insulting to the time, effort and dedication it takes to master that sport.

You are either unable or unwilling to understand that your (and other's) elitist attitude is probably the most bothersome thing that more level-headed people can find wrong with this massively growing CrossFit phenomenon. I'm sick of having to explain to people on the outside that "most people really aren't like that"
In dialectics if a statement has claims that lead to the conclusion the conclusion is then proved true. I didnt make the rules up.

Second, am I in favor of CrossFit as a sport? Hell yes! Does that make me biased? Yes! Did I say for solid fact that CrossFit is superior? NO, hence the "Argument" and question mark in the title.

Third, ill agree that is insulting! I will surely edit that, thanks!

My problem is you came to this discussion looking for blood. Your first sentence was "this article is garbage" seems as though you have the same elitist, high horse attitude you seem to hate so much. Your being just as condescending as the people you seem to hate.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #46
Joe Gasparre

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Ford View Post
In dialectics if a statement has claims that lead to the conclusion the conclusion is then proved true. I didnt make the rules up.

Second, am I in favor of CrossFit as a sport? Hell yes! Does that make me biased? Yes! Did I say for solid fact that CrossFit is superior? NO, hence the "Argument" and question mark in the title.

Third, ill agree that is insulting! I will surely edit that, thanks!

My problem is you came to this discussion looking for blood. Your first sentence was "this article is garbage" seems as though you have the same elitist, high horse attitude you seem to hate so much. Your being just as condescending as the people you seem to hate.
I heard that!
Old 11-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #47
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

If you are not a troll, you would be satisfied from the substantive responses that have already been provided and leave it at that. I, and many others I'm sure, are deliberately abstaining from this thread. It is a discussion that has been had many times. If you are serious about having this debate in good faith then you will spend some time on the boards reading and not inflaming debate which, earnest or not, will almost always come across as either trolling or naive from such a new member.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #48
Devin Ford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post
If you are not a troll, you would be satisfied from the substantive responses that have already been provided and leave it at that. I, and many others I'm sure, are deliberately abstaining from this thread. It is a discussion that has been had many times. If you are serious about having this debate in good faith then you will spend some time on the boards reading and not inflaming debate which, earnest or not, will almost always come across as either trolling or naive from such a new member.
Simply wanted to see what people thought about the article. Thanks for the responses guys!
Old 11-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #49
Michael Capalbo

Profile:

Read the article. First of all Devin, congratulations on making it to the Games! You do have to be an amazing athlete to get there. I checked out the stats on you guys--the percentage of people who are strong enough to squat 400 or deadlift 500 (which seems to be the Games standard) is very small, nevermind the percentage of people who are that strong *and* are able to run fast and long on top of that.

But your article... Well, I don't agree that other sports "don't quite measure up". I also don't agree that "there isn't as much carryover" with other sports. They workout just as hard as we do, AND they have to have the coordination to still be able to do their sport. Indeed, I would argue that a top MMA fighter can do everything a Crossfitter do---ever do any research on what an MMA fighter's training routine actually is--AND he probably could handle himself that much better in a street brawl! A top tennis player could keep up with most any Crossfitter on the agility/sprinting and jumping, and the double-unders, and again, some of them are incredibly strong. A top NFL player in most positions can probably squat 400+ and deadlift 500+ and could still kick *** on the agility and double-unders. I'm sure he could do just fine with the gymnastics, if not right away, then definitely with just some extra work.

Again, that isn't to say that making it to the Games isn't a very big accomplishment, because it is. You surely had to compete and win against some terrific athlete--former college athletes and even some pro athletes in a variety of different sports, to get there. And as they get more publicity, the level of competition at the Games will surely keep getting better and better.

Last edited by Michael Capalbo : 11-04-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #50
Devin Ford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Capalbo View Post
Read the article. First of all Devin, congratulations on making it to the Games! You do have to be an amazing athlete to get there. I checked out the stats on you guys--the percentage of people who are strong enough to squat 400 or deadlift 500 (which seems to be the Games standard) is very small, nevermind the percentage of people who are that strong and are able to run fast.

But your article... Well, I don't agree that other sports "don't quite measure up". I also don't agree that "there isn't as much carryover" with other sports. They workout just as hard as we do, AND they have to have the coordination to still be able to do their sport. Indeed, I would argue that a top MMA fighter can do everything a Crossfitter do---ever do any research on what an MMA fighter's training routine actually is--AND he probably could handle himself that much better in a street brawl! A top tennis player could keep up with most any Crossfitter on the agility/sprinting and jumping, and the double-unders, and again, some of them are incredibly strong. A top NFL player in most positions can probably squat 400+ and deadlift 500+ and could still kick *** on the agility and double-unders. I'm sure he could do just fine with the gymnastics, if not right away, then definitely with just some extra work.

Again, that isn't to say that making it to the Games isn't a very big accomplishment, because it is. You surely had to compete and win against some terrific athlete--former college athletes in a variety of different sports, to get there. And as they get more publicity, the level of competition at the Games will surely keep getting better and better.
Thanks for the compliments and awesome points! I tend to agree with most of what you said, which raises the question is there a superior athlete?

I think at the very least the CrossFit Games have a legitimate claim to the fittest athletes in the world, and to be a legitimate sport! Which is awesome for us who love CrossFitting, as it gives us another avenue to go down in the CrossFit realm.

I believe the argument I laid out will come out again (not by me) once crossfit athletes are paid salaries and the sport hits prime time. Which is what Glassman told me is coming closer and closer. Crazy to think workouts that started in the garage have come so far!