CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #21
Jordan Derksen

Profile:
Re: CrossFit: The Superior Sport? Controversial Argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Rask View Post
This message board is getting ridiculous.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #22
Paulo Santos

Profile:

I love CrossFit for what it is but I don't consider CrossFit a sport. I read the Wikipedia definition and to me, a sport should have an offense and a defense. Golf, racing, bodybuilding, bowling, CrossFit, aren't sports. They are sporting events. I don't want to take anything from those sporting events, but they are what they are. The top level crossfitters are amazing athletes, but that doesn't mean they translate into great sports athletes. Just watch the softball throwing contest at the games.

Devin, keep up the great work and hope you kick a$$ next year, but stick with training and lay off the message boards. It will be too much of a headache arguing with people on the Internet. One of my favorite quotes: "Arguing on the Internet is like winning the special Olympics. Even if you win, you are still a retard."
Old 11-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #23
Richard Colon

Profile:

I apologize ahead of time for my little rant/soapbox here

In relation to this thread along with the thread about "why people dislike Crossfit" I'll say this:

The number one thing that I see a lot (if it doesn't apply to you, disregard) of Crossfitters lacking is some humility.

Humility is what gives the masses; the general public if you will, a huge respect for the athlete as an individual. It is possible to just respect the skill of an athlete even if they don't possess these traits but you better be damn good.

I've had talks about how brash Lebron can be, or MJ at his prime. Kobe, Deion Sanders, etc. They are supreme athletes however and even if they flaunt it and KNOW they got it, you cannot deny or discredit their prowess as an elite athlete - period.

A Crossfitter with a sub 3minute fran however flaunts that as though they deserve to be in the same league as these elite athletes. ANYONE with a modicum of athletic prowess - training in Crossfit for 6-9 mos can achieve a sub 3min fran if they worked hard enough at it.

Try and drive a race-car for 6-9months and tell me you will be like Michael Schumacher. Shoot hoops and do nothing else for a year even and try and be just like Mike. Hit a home run and score a touchdown (in MLB and NFL) in the same week like Deion did after only 9 months of training.

I will never dismiss what Froning, Salo, Spealler, Khalipa, Bridges, Homlberg and Blair Morrison do (there are more, these are my favorites). They DESERVE to brag, even though they don't. They are elite - without question. The average guy with a few decent times however has not earned that right yet - im sorry. Be proud of what you've accomplished in your fitness goals but to even think for a moment about comparing yourself to Ray Lewis, Manny Pacquiao or Albert Pujols...you're just being dumb - EVEN if you made it to the games. The transition from a decent athlete with some Crossfit experience to Sectionals, to Regionals, to Games is MASSIVELY different than the transition from the high school football player, to LSU, to Dallas Cowboys. That is why you see and hear about A LOT of "used to be pretty good athlete, missing the competition, that didn't quite make it to the BIG TIME, with a second chance of being elite, suddenly being amazing at the games level". I've known gym rats that could, and I'll say it with complete confidence, train in Crossfit type stuff for about a year and quality for the Games. They won't beat Froning or Salo but they'll qualify and be there on ESPN 2. This same dude never had many chances to start in an SEC Division 1 NCAA Football program, let alone get drafted to play for the 49ers. Why is that? 2 different levels.

Any top athlete (professional/olympic level) in a sport of physicality, and I'd almost argue mental sports as well (the discipline Tiger Woods used/uses could allow him to excel at anything) could do Crossfit for a full year with good coaching and make it to the Home Depot Center. Take the 20 best Crossfitters in the world and elite coaching and see how they do during pre-season NFL camp time.

Even the great Michael Jordan (please don't compare him as an elite athlete to ANY Crossfitter) looked like a bit of a fool when playing Professional Baseball. It is all so much more involved than you think. Show some respect.

Always remember, even if you are quiet about your own accomplishments, blindly dismissing others accomplishments is the same thing - you are being undeservedly cocky.

The biggest problem is the people that deserve to be put into the category of elite (the crossfit names up above) are the ones either a. not on these boards or b. humble and silent.

Its the masses that do the "same stuff" that think their "$hit don't stink". Thats like me one day being able to Clean & Jerk 315, Back Squat 500 and run a sub 55 second 400m. Do I then have to right to just walk into the Pittsburgh Steelers weight room and say - "yea, you guys aren't on my level..?"

Last edited by Richard Colon : 11-04-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #24
Neil Kanterman

Profile:

Well said Richard.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #25
Joe Gasparre

Profile:

I liked the article, it was a bold statement and although I disagree I respect you taking on the issue. You stated this as an "Argument" not a fact and I think that's were many of these people are getting it wrong for calling this a ridiculous post/article.

For the people who are saying to scrap the article and then giving counterpoints to Devin's argument are exactly what he wants. Why should something that opens up an argument get scrapped? I love arguing, especially with Devin, because I find myself learning not only from other but myself.

I realize why I feel something or why I'm wrong. So I think that, Devin, you should restate the article to reinforce the idea that you want the argument to better your own understanding of this topic.

Sports to me are like books everyone has their own favorite category. Some people like sci-fi, some non-fiction, some people like romance. It's a matter of opinion and lifestyle. And that's my argument!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #26
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Ford View Post
Also, I would argue that fitness has the most carry over to everything then anything else I could think of. The Games test for the fittest in the world. So maybe we disagree that fitness is the biggest carry over? However a very strong argument can be given for that as well since every sport requires it to some extent.
Jack of all trades, master of none...

These threads always seem to reflect a lack of understanding of just how "fit" other athletes are. No, marathon runners aren't very strong, but sprinters are. Any field sport requires lots of endurance and agility, and contact sports require plenty of strength. Almost all sports require balance and coordination skills at least comparable to, and often far beyond, Crossfit's most challenging events.

But mostly these threads reflect a fundamental insecurity. Baseball players really don't care that they aren't as strong as football players. They just don't. Powerlifters don't care that they are slower than runners, anymore than runners care that they are weaker than powerlifters. Nor do any of those groups care about the things that Crossfitters can do better than they can. Do you really think people who compete in curling care what the world thinks of their sport? No. If they did, they'd do something else. It's a big world. There are plenty of choices, there's no need for one to be "better" than the others.

If you enjoy Crossfit, that's great. Good for you. I wish you success. But there are plenty of ways for you to succeed, and Crossfit to succeed, without these (futile) attempts to tear other sports down.

Katherine
Old 11-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #27
Devin Ford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post

Devin, keep up the great work and hope you kick a$$ next year, but stick with training and lay off the message boards. It will be too much of a headache arguing with people on the Internet. One of my favorite quotes: "Arguing on the Internet is like winning the special Olympics. Even if you win, you are still a retard."
Amen! First time I hit the boards, shame I thought regular discussion could have happened here! Anyways, if CrossFit being a sport itself is questioned then the whole argument is void. So that would be a great point.

I was waiting to see if anyone questioned that.

Most just said the argument is stupid with no premise, which, you have to wonder, who is the stupid one? The one who puts up an argument and makes claims and attempts to back them up, or one whose whole rebuttal argument is "that's stupid"? ....
Old 11-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #28
Devin Ford

Profile:

Hey Rich, love the arguments you made and they make sense. Not sure why you are bashing me, I am not saying anyone is "not at my level" and if you knew me you would know I was quite humble. At the same time I like creating open minded discussions because thats where I learn best, and I have seen most other benefit from it too.

That being said, your right! I tried to do the impossible of comparing incomparable things, I will revise this and send it out again!
Old 11-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #29
Neil Kanterman

Profile:

You have a lot to learn about what kind of article would "create open minded discussion". Boldly claiming your own method to be superior and insulting other sports is not the way to go about that.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #30
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
I love CrossFit for what it is but I don't consider CrossFit a sport. I read the Wikipedia definition and to me, a sport should have an offense and a defense. Golf, racing, bodybuilding, bowling, CrossFit, aren't sports. They are sporting events. I don't want to take anything from those sporting events, but they are what they are. The top level crossfitters are amazing athletes, but that doesn't mean they translate into great sports athletes. Just watch the softball throwing contest at the games.

while i don't completely agree with you about sports needing an offense and defense, i have thought many times that some head to head competition events at the games would be a good idea. some of the old american gladiator type events, with some slight varaiation, could work well. there are millions of ideas, but it would certainly add to the level of competition in my opinion. in the team events if nothing else.