CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
Brian Joseph

Profile:
Pinky injury after muscle ups

I have a very weird injury after last weeks muscle up workout. I cannot move my pinky finger on my right hand in toward the rest of my fingers when all fingers are extended/flat. There is no pain or numbness at all in my pinky or hand, and I can still clench a fist and move my pinky outward away from my fingers. I don't seem to have lost any grip strength at all either. I just can't move my pinky to the left when it's extended straight. Any ideas what I could have done to it and what I can do to fix? Thanks!
Old 01-14-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
Everett Steinbarger

Profile:
Re: Pinky injury after muscle ups

What you are describing is a positive Wartenberg's Sign, (not to be confused with Wartenberg's syndrome).

Wartenberg's sign, is a sign that the 3rd interosseous muscle is not working and you have no ability to oppose the extensor of the small finger. This is common with Ulnar Nerve palsy. It is curious that you have not noticed any loss of strength, especially in the little finger. It is curious as well that you have no loss of sensation to the little or ring fingers.

I would recommend seeing your primary physician, or being seen by a Hand Surgeon.
Rule #1: Crossfit. Zombies lead a very active life. So should you.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
Brian Joseph

Profile:

Looking it up online it is definitely very similar to a lower ulnar injury like Wartenberg Sign. I really have no loss of movement or feeling in the ring finger at all though, and no deterioration in grip strength. I can even type just as easily as I write this. The only thing I can't do is move my pinky in toward my ring finger.

It was definitely caused by the false grip on the muscles ups this week. It's been awhile since I've done that many muscles ups and i must have just pushed it too hard.

Has anyone else had this issue and resolved it in some other way besides surgery?
Old 01-15-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Massage everything from your neck down to your wrist... deep tissue. Also, mobility work for the shoulder and wrist.

Loosen everything up and see if it improves due to tight muscles pinching on nerves.