CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-17-2007, 06:32 AM   #1
Corey Hatton

Profile:

In a couple of weeks, I will be working 4 night shifts (9:00pm-7:30am) I have major problems sleeping during the day, so I will more than likely be running on very little sleep also. Do any of the energy drinks out there acutally work? If so, which ones?

P.S. Tried red bull years ago and tasted like crap, so that one is out.

Thanks,
Corey
Old 06-17-2007, 06:44 AM   #2
Michael Leach

Profile:
I've drank well more than my share of energy drinks over the past few years. they all seem to have that weird, fizzy, bitter taste that redbull has. personally, i like the taste, but i'm kinda weird.

i dont think any of them work near as well as a cup of strong coffee either. at least not for me anyways.

fast forward to now, i've switched to paleo and try to limit sugars and such anyways, so I generally drink black coffee when i need an energy boost. if i'm tweaking for a little sweetness, i add some unfiltered uncooked honey to my coffee.

we took a road trip a couple weeks ago where i drove all night on a few occasions and i was juiced up on coffee from truck stops and these green tea energy drink. i skimmed over all the ingredients on the energy drinks and this one seemed to be the least evil (no HFCS or artificial sweeteners) and the least amount of sugar (it used fructose). i'm not saying its healthy, but it kept me awake.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Black coffee and a ton of water. Also do the ear plugs/complete darkness and see if that helps with the sleeping.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:48 PM   #4
Andy Rogers

Profile:
You could try swimming for 45 minutes to an hour in the mornings after your shift. Swimming leaves you quite sleepy. Lower body temp from the pool or some such. /shrug

I know I'm always anxious for a nap after a swim... and the Andy hates the napping!
Old 06-20-2007, 04:03 AM   #5
Matthew Apostol

Profile:
All I can say is that if the whole of the infantry community (Army and Marines) had to agree on which energy drink keeps you going at the tail end of an 8-hour patrol...the unanimous decision would be MONSTER. That stuff gives you a jolt like no other energy drink I've tried.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:44 AM   #6
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Oh no, please don't let this devolve into a sound off of everyone's favorite energy drink!! :doh:

Most of them work, so no worries there... try a couple and see.

I don't think it's the best for my body, but I use energy drinks from time to time as well. My favorite is "5 hour energy shot" because it is not carbonated and has no sugar.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:07 AM   #7
Kellee Rassau

Profile:
I've worked graves (7 p.m. to 7 a.m.) off and on for the past 3 years, and I tried it all to stay alert and awake all shift. My husband worked the same hours for 8 years, and this is what worked for us:
Exercise. You need all the energy you can get.
Hydrate. Drink a ton of water.
Eat right. Fruits and vegetables make great snacks, they give you a burst of energy without a sugar crash shortly thereafter.
Stay busy! Get some crossword books, Sudoku, play the "What if?" game in your head. Whatever you can get away with at work. Online game sites like Pogo.com have a lot of time-wasters that will keep you busy.
If all else fails, I like the Starbucks Double Shot Espresso drinks, but nothing beats coffee - very few calories for the money. Best of luck!
Old 06-20-2007, 03:34 PM   #8
Corey Hatton

Profile:

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm not a coffee drinker, actually can't stand the stuff. I will try a monster and see how it works. I will definately be working out and eating well as well as drinking alot of water. Staying busy won't be hard as I work in the pharmacy of the hospital and lately we have been busy 24/7.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:23 PM   #9
Chris Frost

Profile:
Corey,
I also have a weird schedule that often creates some sleep problems. I take Melatonin 1 (from GNC) and have had pretty good results. It is relatively cheap and is reportedly non habit forming. I take it on the extreme days when my sleep schedule gets messed with. It is a 1mg tab that you disolve under your tounge about 1 hr before you want to go to sleep. It dosen't make you groggy after you wake up and just helps you fall asleep when your internal clock gets out of wack. Good luck
Oh.... The no carb Monster works for me when I need to stay awake
Old 06-21-2007, 10:49 PM   #10
Stephen Solano

Profile:
This seems to work for me when I'm on graves: Eggs whites, no carbs, and some almonds.

That with white noise and a dark room. I ended up painting my walls a dark brown, with dark curtains.