CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-01-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
Nick Cruz

Profile:
It took me a few days to work up the nerve to ask but here goes. I would like to know how to avoid getting hemorrhoids during heavy squats and dead lifts. I seemed to have developed this malady after heavy squats and dead lifts (I just started a 5 x 5 routine for strength building). Now, I am out of commission for a week or two until things clear up and I have three questions. How long should I wait to get back into training? What CAN I do exercise-wise without aggravating the situation (pullups, situps, muscleup progression training)? What can I do to avoid this in the future?

I hate that I had to post this but there it is. I actually read a power lifting site that said that hemorrhoids were a badge of honor and that if you didn't get em you weren't lifting heavy enough! WTF?!

Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:20 PM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Look up Kegel (SP?) exercise. In the process of keeping your abdomen tight you need to tighten up your pelvic floor. To be indelicate pretend you are trying really hard not to crap or wet yourself during the lift. Even if you have nothing in your bowels or bladder. This should keep things where they belong. Lots of people who never lift get hemorrhoids, lots of people who do lift don't get them.

From what I remember most people get them from bearing down during an attempt at a bowel movement when they are not getting enough fiber. I have also heard that they may be more likely to occur during childbirth.

I have been lifting for almost 30 years and have been lucky enough never to have developed them. I can't say I wont ever, or wouldn't get them if I squatted >1,000 lbs like some of the monsters out there. I'll just skip the badge if it's all the same.