CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
Angel Andre Liu Orozco

Profile:
d-ball repairs-what to do??

We have a bunch of dballs that broke at the black seal. Has anyone experienced this and how do you repair them? Would shoegoo, gorilla glue or a tire patch work? Thanks for your feedback
Old 02-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #2
Joe Waguespack

Profile:
Re: d-ball repairs-what to do??

Are they this brand? http://www.d-ball.com/whydball.html. If so they say they are guaranteed not to break or they will replace them. I would check with your supplier and get them replaced.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:14 AM   #3
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Pretty sure that the warranty excludes splits on or around the plug. Last I heard they were trying to improve this known design flaw.

This is the most up to date post on the subject I am aware of: (WFS)

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread...ight=slam+ball

Cheers, kempie
Old 02-18-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
John Kaupp

Profile:

When we were using the d-balls in a large group setting, we had many of them break at the plug or crack right around the seal. The best repair that we came up with was to use a tire repair patch and Shoo goo(sp). The tire patches can be found at most auto repair shops and be sure to get the circular ones. They are a pretty good fit over the plug and outer ring of the plug. Shoo Goo can be found at most pharmacies. The shoo goo is better than super glue because it dries a little thicker and is a little more pliable or rubbery( i think that is a word).

Clean the area that you will be applying the patch to. Apply a moderate amount of shoo goo, enough to have a tacky layer for the entire patch to adhere to, apply the patch(usually packaged like a band-aid) making sure to take off all of the plastic to the shoo goo and then apply another generous coat of shoo goo over the patch and outer area of the patch to get a good seal. Be sure to have something to spread the shoo goo on, kind of like frosting a cake. Something like a plastic knife or popsicle stick. Nothing you want to keep reusing unless you want to take the time to clean it off. Teh shoo goo sets within about thirty seconds so have everything ready to go. Best to let dry for 24 hours.

When the balls would break and were repaired, they would usually last about 1.5 to 2 months before needing repair, but they were be used very regularly by large groups. The best is to try and buy enough so that you can rotate them or be able to fix some and still have some in use. Hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #5
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Another excellent reason not to waste the coin on D-balls. For the price of one of those I can make 3-4 slam balls on my own. Granted, D-balls are nice, but I've heard about this design flaw too many times.