CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:23 PM   #1
John Mark Trower

Profile:
I think I started a trend at my gym - People have come up and asked "What the #%^* is that?", and I direct them to Crossfit.com. Yesterday there was one guy suffering thru "Chelsea" for the first time, and another guy whose been talking to me about Crossfit and "300" who was getting ready to try Wed's WOD. It's funny since it's a very nice but somewhat candy *** type of place where most folks do an hour of ridiculous isolation movements followed by 1/2 an hour of walking on a treadmill. They're not used to people lying in the floor gasping after a workout.

(Message edited by Mark_trower on April 19, 2007)
Old 04-20-2007, 02:51 AM   #2
Cal Jones

Profile:
More power to you! I get some funny looks but so far no one's plucked up the courage to ask. One of my online friends (I know through an online game we both played) was asking about getting fitter so I directed him here and hopefully he will start too. He'd already heard of Gym Jones so job half done already. :-)
Old 04-20-2007, 06:22 AM   #3
Adam Head

Profile:
I know what you guys mean. I do my workouts at a local park since I don't have the funds for equipment yet. (I'm saving though and I have a good deal lined up on a concept 2, power rack and some bumper plates). People ask me all the time if I'm ok when they see me collapse to the ground after a good session. I even have one 15 y.o. kid starting to workout with me. I directed him right back here.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:03 PM   #4
Brian Zeh

Profile:
My gym is also pretty "candy" as well. Plenty of youth but not many that serious about their exercise. I've been getting a lot of questions since starting these workouts, and I bet I've told at least 15 people about crossfit.

The guys in my gym that are concerned about keeping size are pretty reluctant to try these routines. But you know what? After a month I haven't lost any size, and my fitness is making leaps and bounds. I'm hooked.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
People have been surprised when seeing me do stuff like pistols or L-sit pull-ups. I point them to:
www.americanparkour.com
www.crossfit.com
www.beastskills.com

Though, probably only 1 in 5 actually bother.

I have printed and given out instructions for parallettes, rings, and weight adjustable dumbbells to three others too... But once again, I doubt they actually made them. They all fail to see how little work fitness requires; just dedication.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:12 AM   #6
Kawika Harbottle

Profile:
One thing that will keep those, who we tell about this approach, continuing CrossFit or similar is working with them or support. That, I feel, increases the drive and long term dedication of others to make a positive change in their daily exercise.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:46 PM   #7
Ian Jimenez

Profile:
I whenever I get complimented on my performance in a sport or physical challenge or on my looks I will recommend them to www.crossfit.com be it a navy seal recruiter or a friend I can't keep track of all of my references.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:11 PM   #8
Elena Valenzuela

Profile:
I just got back from the gym and just doing today's WOD I got some crazy looks and even one of the personal trainers came up to me and had to ask what I was doing, hopefully he checks out the website like I told him. Wish I could start a trend out here at my gym, can't seem to find anyone who is interested in my area.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:19 AM   #9
Marcus McCurdy

Profile:
This is funny because I've had the same thing happening to me since I started doing crossfit about a month ago. Me and my fiancé do the workouts together at the gym and people think we are training for a college sport or something. Before crossfit I had never had people at the gym come up and ask me about my workouts, but thats probably because I was doing the same boring stuff most everyone else was.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:44 PM   #10
James Hull

Profile:
In the 4 months I've been doing CF, several people have said something to me and my friends.

The first saw me doing snatches about a month in and asked if I showed him how to do it. YIKES! I tried to show him the clean and explained that I watched videos for about a month before I actually tried it.

The other two were just comments from friends who said stuff like, "Every time I see you in the gym you look more and more jacked." :kicking0:

A friend of mine got made fun of for ripping through burpees and dumping sweat on the floorduring filthy fifties, the guy said, "Man, you need to chill out," then did some more curls in the squat rack (no kidding).

James