CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:34 PM   #11
Chris Mayo

Profile:
I get weird looks all the time doing WODs or have to explain to people why I need the 2 or 3 loaded barbells at one time, and I'm pretty sure they walk away scratching their head wondering what I'm talking about. The few people I have got to try it with me (both were in great shape and pretty active) bailed after a few workouts. And just when I got my wife getting serious and led her to simplefit.org, we find out we're pregnant (not complaining about that, just mentioning I lost a potential partner...for now). How do you convince someone who's in the gym all the time or into fitness to give it a try? I'm 212 lbs, and on any day can bench 225 10 times and get excellent pt scores, and when people ask me what I do, they get scared when I mention crossfit and just want to know about the supplements. Then they think I'm joking when I tell them all I take is a cheap Whey shake after my workout and eat half-way decent. How do you recruit a crossfit training partner?
Old 05-03-2007, 05:52 PM   #12
John McBrien

Profile:
Whenever I suggest my friends try CrossFit, they answer with "strength training will hurt my running" or "I won't get jacked." It's always something that keeps them away. This is even after I talk about Coach Riptoe's argument for "strength before strength endurance" or mention the many military groups that use CF.

I think it takes a particular type of person to try something new and foreign, let alone accept it as "worth the effort." I would look for a CF gym in your area and if that doesn't work then just hope that someone who shares our passion will end up running into you.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:25 PM   #13
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
A few weeks ago, my high school's weight room moderator asked me if I was training for ROTC. This was before I even began doing CF WOD's, though I was doing similar stuff at the time.

(If you are wondering about ROTC... I'm not.)
Old 05-03-2007, 07:00 PM   #14
Connie Morreale

Profile:
chris, unless your wife is high risk or her doc says otherwise....
have you seen the videos of annie doing the wod's when she was hugely pregnant?
just saying....
-----------

dy try n
Old 05-03-2007, 07:40 PM   #15
Elena Valenzuela

Profile:
I've had the same problem finding a workout partner to do crossfit with, all my friends bailed after one or two workouts, I did find one guy in my area that does crossfit, but he thinks just cuz I'm a female that I can't hang with him...of course that just makes me push harder, but a partner would definately help...
Old 05-03-2007, 09:34 PM   #16
James Hull

Profile:
I have a rotation of friends I do CF with. Its three friends who can't really/don't want to do the workouts back to back, which is fine for me. It definitely helps to compete and encourage each other.

Although I have no idea what I'm going to do when I graduate in a couple weeks and move back to NYC...
Old 05-04-2007, 01:30 AM   #17
David Wood

Profile:

Moving to Community . . .

James, you might connect up with the CF NYC crew?
Old 05-04-2007, 05:56 AM   #18
Justin Algera

Profile:
Yeah James, CF NYC is growing everyday... Seems like there are new people everyday showing up. Sometimes the classes are so packed we are working out in the hallways.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:52 AM   #19
David Opperman

Profile:
My wife and I have been doing CrossFit since the first week in March. I stumbled upon CrossFit when I was looking for some rings. I haven't looked back. I really enjoy the variety and the daily challenge of the workouts. We have had several people join in on a few of the workouts but no one has stuck with it yet. They think we are crazy. I tell everyone that asks to check out CrossFit.com. I think that CrossFit.com is an easy name to remember, but I have had one guy ask me 5 times about it. I love the looks we get when we are running back and forth from the free weights to the pull up bars. They are priceless. I have been quietly reading and researching this site for 2 months now and want to say thank you to all of you that share your knowledge on this site. It is truly amazing. Keep up the good work!

Thanks,

Dave O
Old 05-04-2007, 08:40 PM   #20
Angel Andre Liu Orozco

Profile:
I work at a globo gym and the everyone looks at me while i workout and train my clients. Alot of people come up to me and say that I have "man workout" or "I am crazy". I say, " its funtionality and intensity"!
Anyhow, i now have a huge client base because of crossfit's wods that i do at my gym. All i have to start doing is bringing them to CFSF and then we will grow....