CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 11-22-2007, 05:04 AM   #1
Nicolas Castonguay

Profile:
instead of doing 120 PU and dips to sub for muscle up, can't I do weight PU/Dips?

Let's say I add 45lbs (random number) and I do 30 PU/Dips. Would it be a good alternative to 120 of each? Or I'd be better off with 120 of each?
Old 11-23-2007, 10:24 AM   #2
Graham Webb

Profile:
Re: instead of doing 120 PU and dips to sub for muscle up, can't I do weight PU/Dips?

I think you should try doing the 120/120 for pull ups and dips
Old 11-26-2007, 07:57 PM   #3
Michael Cooley

Profile:
Re: instead of doing 120 PU and dips to sub for muscle up, can't I do weight PU/Dips?

There's been some discussion about this in the last few comment sections following the 30 muscle-up WODs. Perhaps some of the saltier dogs will weigh in, but I think the answer ultimately depends on your particular goals and how you respond to different training. 120/120 is great and all, but it's an endurance workout, whereas muscle-ups definitely involve more of a strength component. Given that, I'd personally question whether the endurance you get from 120/120 is really going to get you any closer to a muscle-up. On the other hand, doing weighted pullups and dips is going to contribute more to the added strength necessary to accelerate through the pullup into the dip portion of a muscle-up.

Personally, I substitute weighted pullups/dips with a 24kg KB hanging from my waist anytime muscleups are called for, and 24kg dips anytime ring dips are called for. It's not perfect, but I don't really feel like I need more pullup/dip volume on my current Crossfit regiment -- I'd rather get in some weighted work, instead.

My $.02.

mpc
Old 11-26-2007, 08:35 PM   #4
Jeremy Mathers

Profile:

120 false grip pullups and dips on rings would be quite a workout, I think that would help with the strength component, especially if the dips are deep.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:46 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Weighted dips and pullups are better if your goal is to learn a muscle up or if you don't have access to rings IMO.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:40 PM   #6
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:

What's a good weight to set?

For example, for a 30 Muscle Ups workout, you'd presumably do 30 pullups and 30 dips with weight. Should you go heavy, say your 5 rep max, or lighter and get the thirty?

I can see the value in swapping the entire workout out - instead of doing 30 muscle ups for time, doing a pullup workout with heavy pullups and a heavy dip workout with heavy dips. 10x1 or 7x3 or 5x5 or something of that sort. But I'm curious if there is value in upping the weight but otherwise trying to keep it as a metcon.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:59 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Probably better to do like 5 of dips/pullups and then switch back and forth..

As for a weight whatever you'd feel uncomfortable with. Everyone's max weighted pullups and dips are going to be different..
Old 11-26-2007, 11:03 PM   #8
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:

Thanks, that answers my question.

I'd just referred someone else to the Beast Skills page, where he recommends weighted pullups and dips to work for the muscle up. But I didn't have a weight to recommend...or whether it was better to go 30 and 30 or mix them together.

For folks who haven't seen it:
http://www.beastskills.com/MuscleUp.htm (wfs)
Old 11-27-2007, 04:38 PM   #9
Michael Cooley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dell'Orto View Post
I can see the value in swapping the entire workout out - instead of doing 30 muscle ups for time, doing a pullup workout with heavy pullups and a heavy dip workout with heavy dips. 10x1 or 7x3 or 5x5 or something of that sort. But I'm curious if there is value in upping the weight but otherwise trying to keep it as a metcon.
Except for a few elite crossfitters, I don't think 30 muscle-ups qualifies as a metcon workout for anyone. This is a strength-gymnastics workout, and I expect most people are going to be doing the muscleups in clusters of anywhere from 1-5. Personally, I work through the workout for time (as rx'ed), but alternate between pullups and dips (not unlike the sequencing of a muscleup).

For me, therefore, the workout is 24kg pullup+24kg dip+24kg pullup+24kg dip... until I hit 30 of each.

mpc
Old 11-27-2007, 04:54 PM   #10
Derek Maffett

Profile:

I disagree. Elite Crossfitters aren't the only people who could make it metcon. You just need to get your reps up to a reasonable level (5+ would hardly seem excessive with some work). Muscle-ups are also a huge movement, so it doesn't take many reps to make it metcon.