CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-22-2007, 04:45 PM   #1
Brian Cornwell

Profile:
Question for Rugby Playing Crossfitters

I have been following Crossfit for a while now, and am at the point where I can do 99% of the WOD's as prescribed and in reasonably competitive times. I love the surprise, excitement, intensity, variation and results that following the main page WOD provides. However, I am planning on playing rugby this fall at school for the first time, (not a super-serious program, but I'd like to be fairly serious about it). I worked very, very hard to build up strength and form in the big lifts like deads, F/B squat, overhead squats and presses, cleans, dips pullups, etc. My concern is that continuing to follow the WOD to the letter while running hard in rugby practices and games would be a quick way to lose weight and strength even if nutrition and rest were (to the best of my ability) ample. I know that crossfit is by design configured to work in conjunction with sports, but my principle goal is maintenance of strength, I am not concerned with my metabolic conditioning decreasing to any appreciable degree.
I know little about rugby, or what to expect as far as the exertion during practice, so I was hoping some more experienced people could help me out. I am thinking my options are:
a) follow the WOD as rx'ed but sub in an extra rest day or some specific strength work when a WOD is focused on metcon only (sprints, filthy 50's etc)

b) do a more specific strength cycle like:
monday- back squat, weighted pullup, deadlift, weighted dip
wednesday- shoulder press, overhead squat, muscle ups, kipping pullups
friday- front squat, power clean or deadlift, weighted pullup and dip

this routine has worked well for me in the past when I have had other energy expenditures.

ANy other suggestions or ideas or advice from anyone more knowledgable than I is greatly appreciated, I just would like to stay as strong as possible while perfroming as well as possible in rugby. THanks
Old 08-22-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
Tim Ulcoq

Profile:
Re: Question for Rugby Playing Crossfitters

woops accidentally submitted before i'd finished

Last edited by Tim Ulcoq; 08-22-2007 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: d'oh
Old 08-22-2007, 07:21 PM   #3
Tim Ulcoq

Profile:

Mate, I think one of the big factors is the intensity and frequency of your rugby training sessions. This season I had two fitness heavy training sessions a week and found they were enough for my cardio/met-con levels. I then did two weight sessions a week to take care of my strenght and size.

Also, what position are you going to play? The functionality of your strength and fitness will vary greatly from position to position.

The WOD's are good for getting shape, but i think it might be an idea to leave them behind once the season starts. Focus more on what will be functional around the football field.

My programme ended up as follows

Monday:
Squats (alternating front and back every 3-4 weeks)
Powerclean/Snatches (alternating every 3-4 weeks)
Kettlebell routine of 21-15-9 of snatches, DARC swings and squats for time

Tuesday:
Morning- Light yoga/stretching session
Evening- Rugby Training session; emphasising met-con and core stability

Wednesday:
Military Press
Bench Press (subbing with pushups every few weeks)
Renegade Rows
Kettlebell windmills

Thursday
Light stretch/yoga, followed by rugby training at night emphasising met-con and core stability

Friday rest day
Saturday game day
Sunday rest day, usually some light stretching or a jog to shake off the pain

NB: I think the most important thing is, once you actually get into the season is to make sure you're getting plenty of rest, especially the day after the game, because your body is going to be in more pain than anything any WOD will do to you. I've actually heard someone describe a game of rugby as the ultimate WOD.

Best of luck with the coming season.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
Brian Cornwell

Profile:

Thank you, I am realtively small, at 175 pounds or so, and quick, and though I don't know all the positions, I'd assume I'll be doing alot of running, so I am not worried about losing any metcon aptitude, and I know that our team is relatively informal and laid-back (no conditioning, no coach, just guys going out to practice and play). I re thought it a little, and I may switch to a monday and thursday ME scheme, to allow ample rest before and after games. Thanks for your advice.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:36 PM   #5
Sean McCue

Profile:

If your practices are kickback then you will want to keep up your metcon workouts. As for your size, you will most likely be in the back line. Rugby is a whole lot more enjoyable when your metcon level is high.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:54 AM   #6
Darren Coughlan

Profile:

The WOD is all you need!

The off-season is the time to work on mass and strength gains, through functional crossfit movements and a day off day on routine.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:35 PM   #7
Mark Miller

Profile:

This topic has been discussed before try a search of the boards. I would say that if you want to be competitive as a new player keep up the metcon work at least 2-3 days a week in addition to your rugby training days. You will find that in the Club atmosphere a lot of your mates will shy away from conditioning work. If the rugby training days are not that intense you should add some metcon work in before or after the session to assist you. Don't forget speed work as well. Rugby is a game won and lost on speed. Hope this helps and welcome to the best game in the world played on two feet.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:41 PM   #8
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Like Sean says, it depends on your practices. In the two clubs I played for, we practiced skills, techniques, and plays and took care of our own fitness. Back in the day, I did strength and cardio (inside/outside center, so I needed both). Doing CF would've saved a hell of a lot of time.

Assuming you're on the back line, just go balls out on the WOD 2-3 times a week and add a strength/metcon day (heavy Fran, Diane), and you shouldn't need anything else (for metcon or strength). If you're a hooker, just start smashing your face against a wall and forget about the rest of this.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:58 PM   #9
Alex Nisetich

Profile:

A few things:

1) I play on a club team at my university. I'm 5'9" tall, 175 lbs, and I play flanker, so don't assume you'll be in the back line (I've done some scrum half as well). Most people can fit in a lot of different places.

2) I also started CF only recently, and this will be my first rugby season since I began CFing. My team does enough metcon-type work and running during practice that I don't think I will have to do WODs to stay fit. I also understand that it is difficult to gain much strength during the season. The goal then is to maintain what strength you have (this is what my old coaches always told me). I'll be doing strength training twice a week, focusing on the big compounds (squat, dead, etc.), and Olympics (clean, snatch, jerk, etc.).

3) Listen to your body. If you can handle more work, do it. If you are overtraining, cut back a little. I'd start with just rugby practice, and once you know you can add in extra work, by all means go ahead.

Rugby is a truly great sport. Good luck with it.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:07 PM   #10
Joshua Bird

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Coughlan View Post
The WOD is all you need!

The off-season is the time to work on mass and strength gains, through functional crossfit movements and a day off day on routine.
I've gotta disagree with this one, I feel you need to work on maintaining strength through the season by working on core lifts. Depending on the level of your club, between two intense practices during the week and a 80 minute match on Saturdays, that's alot of MetCon! For the 8-10 weeks during the season it's fine to do some Metcon work, but I mostly concentrate on Squats/Deads and Pressing/Pulling so I don't totally lose the strength I have.