CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-14-2008, 12:38 PM   #1
Jason Levens

Profile:
jump rope

i tried to do the double unders today and could not get them to happen. i jump rope pretty good. but i was curious, the rope at my gym is a leather with bearings and wood handle. i felt i could not get it to go any faster no matter how hard i tried. do i need to buy my own, if so should it be a plastic nylon or real rope. any suggestions will help, even if they are on my jump rope skills. thanks
Old 08-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:
Re: jump rope

Leather and real rope jump ropes are generally pretty slow. Most high quality speed ropes use plastic.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
Vanessa Sisson

Profile:

Melissa Beyers reccommended this rope to me today:

WFS: http://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/superrope.html
Old 08-14-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
Melissa Urban

Profile:

As I have posted many, many times on these boards, I have an unnatural love for my jump rope. I've had this one for three years, and the steel cable spins like a mother. Just don't whack yourself with it, or it leaves a lash mark that will have people talking. Trust me.

As far as DUs go, it's not about jumping higher - it's about turning the rope faster. I find the cue of pushing the rope forward helps. It starts at the wrist - you have to get aggressive with the spin, starting at the handles. I don't jump that much higher on a DU than when doing singles - I just push the rope through way harder.

I'm 5'10" and I use the short Speed Rope - the shorter the rope, the faster it turns, and I'm used to that length now.

Melissa

PS Vanessa, I basically just plagiarized myself from what I posted on your log.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
Jason Levens

Profile:

awesome thanks guys, i just wanted to make sure it was not just my mechanics.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
Vanessa Sisson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Byers View Post
As I have posted many, many times on these boards, I have an unnatural love for my jump rope. I've had this one for three years, and the steel cable spins like a mother. Just don't whack yourself with it, or it leaves a lash mark that will have people talking. Trust me.

As far as DUs go, it's not about jumping higher - it's about turning the rope faster. I find the cue of pushing the rope forward helps. It starts at the wrist - you have to get aggressive with the spin, starting at the handles. I don't jump that much higher on a DU than when doing singles - I just push the rope through way harder.

I'm 5'10" and I use the short Speed Rope - the shorter the rope, the faster it turns, and I'm used to that length now.

Melissa

PS Vanessa, I basically just plagiarized myself from what I posted on your log.

Yep, but that's okay. I don't think it's plagiarizing if it's your own words right? Lots of jumprope talk today.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #7
Andrew Ambro

Profile:

I have the wooden handle leather one.

Tie a knot in the middle of it.. works great for me..
Old 08-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #8
Justin Shipley

Profile:

Re: technique - what Melissa said.
Re: ropes - tried and owned a variety (boxing training; four kids, the eldest 3 all keen skippers; now currently boxing instructor and personal trainer)
Don't get me wrong, good advice above on rope choice, but if finances or simple availability are an issue, take comfort in that you don't need to spend much or go high tech.
I dont know if they are available in your country but every gym, boxing club, and school in australia over the last 15 years has been equipped with ropes that are THE cheapest and best balanced rope you will find.
They are just white plastic cord and a sliding coloured plastic tube handle, most adults would use red, or blue if over 5'9" or so. Only last a year with mucho trabajo but only cost $3-4 !
Old 08-14-2008, 02:40 PM   #9
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Shipley View Post
Re: technique - what Melissa said.
Re: ropes - tried and owned a variety (boxing training; four kids, the eldest 3 all keen skippers; now currently boxing instructor and personal trainer)
Don't get me wrong, good advice above on rope choice, but if finances or simple availability are an issue, take comfort in that you don't need to spend much or go high tech.
I dont know if they are available in your country but every gym, boxing club, and school in australia over the last 15 years has been equipped with ropes that are THE cheapest and best balanced rope you will find.
They are just white plastic cord and a sliding coloured plastic tube handle, most adults would use red, or blue if over 5'9" or so. Only last a year with mucho trabajo but only cost $3-4 !
Sounds interesting. Could you post a link showing us exactly what kind you mean? Do we just walk into walmart and buy the cheapest rope we find, or what?

I have a leather jump rope that's pretty solid but now I'm using one of the buddy lee jump ropes (this one I think) and I've been quite happy with it. It's a real fast rope, but isn't too heavy so if you whap yourself it's not a big deal. Some people don't like the longer handle (the longer handle helps do other rope tricks) but I don't mind. I'm not so sold on it that I wouldn't try alternatives, but other than it being a little to expensive I have only good things to say about it.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:58 PM   #10
Justin Shipley

Profile:

David, w/fs link
www.hartsport.com.au/catalogue/fitness/202.pdf

the ropes are weighted beautifully, however treat them as disposable. 6 bought a year ago in my gym all snapped at the rotating point at the handle within a month of each other, so buy several. i have never witnessed an adult require shorter than red, i'm 6'2'' and require blue but it wouldn't want to be much shorter