CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-19-2007, 12:52 PM   #1
Michael Leach

Profile:
Hey guys/gals,

I've been reading up about the paleo diet and I want to try it out. I've never been a fan of milk, bread, potatoes, pasta, etc, but I've always ate lots of them because "they were healthy for you".

Anyways, I've been trying to convert over to Paleo and have some questions.

One, is there like an idiots guide to Paleo somewhere? I've been searching for Paleo and come across lots of websites with lots of technical jargon and I read and read and read until my eyes are crossed and I'm delirious, but I still dont know WHAT I can eat. What are some good websites for me to check out? Is there like a grocery shopping list somewhere?

Two, I've been trying to cut out all the bad foods from my diet in the last couple days, and I've just felt kinda weird lately. Is this normal? I've kinda had a headache on and off, and I feel like I'm hungry, but I'm not really sure if I'm hungry or not. A bigger factor is probably that this is my 3rd day without caffeine. I usually had 1-2 cups of coffee a day, as well as 1-4 diet sodas. I'm thinking thats probably where my headache is coming from. How long can/should symptoms last?

Three, feel free to throw out any other information you feel helpful. :-)
Old 02-19-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
Daniel Foster

Profile:
yeah the weird thing is normal it should go away in a couple of days. getting rid of the crap form your body is sorta like a crack addict getting off the crack.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Meat, fish, fowl, fruits, veggies, and nuts.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:05 PM   #4
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Lots of good sites surrounding the book, The Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain.

Although you can gather the meat (no pun intended:-)) of the book from Cordain's website, this board and paleodiet.com... I'd still recommended buying a copy of the book. You can even pick up a used copy on Amazon for 5-6 bucks. Paleo Diet for Athletes, by Cordain is worth a look as well.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:07 PM   #5
Jason Steele

Profile:
Caffeine thing will wear off by the end of the week so long as you don't succumb to the cravings. Just drink water and keep telling yourself that you are doing something good (and for goodness sake don't watch TV, all those food commercials will play hell with your mind, whether you think they will or not).

Here's a good website (W/F safe)
http://www.paleodiet.com/

Might also want to pick up the Protein Power Lifeplan, they advocate a paleo diet, and it really filled in some gaps for me.

Good luck!
Old 02-19-2007, 02:23 PM   #6
Michael Leach

Profile:
Awesome! I just picked up The Paleo Diet last night at Barnes and Nobles! I haven't had a chance to start reading it yet; I'm stuck at work and anxious to get on this diet 100%. I only found TWO books in the whole store about Paleo, this one, and another by the same author that was geared towards athletes.

Glad to hear it about the caffeine, I'm looking forward to getting rid of this bloody headache! :angry:

Do you guys get most of your food at the grocery store?
Old 02-19-2007, 03:02 PM   #7
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Mainly food shop at Trader Joe's. During the summer, I'll stop at a farmer's market for fruit or one of the roadside stands for in-season produce.

But TJ's is definitely where its at.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:55 PM   #8
Michael Tong

Profile:
Michael,

The book you bought will certainly get you on track. I have The Paleo Diet For Athletes, which is also a good read.

I started Paleo in Jan '07, and haven't looked back. Haven't had a cheat meal yet, feeling great, have lots of energy all day (no more afternoon sluggishness), and the stubborn belly fat is falling off. For what it's worth, here are some misc. thoughts that may help:

- If you have a Costco nearby, it is a great place to buy bulk veggies and fruits. I particularly like having frozen blueberries, strawberries and brocolli in the freezer at all times. Great go-to staples when you are in a pinch or just not feeling all that creative.
- Costco also has great prices on almonds and walnuts (about $10 for a 3 lb bag each in my area). Much better than $6-8/lb in regular grocery store
- I started doing Zone for meal sizing, and Paleo for what to eat. Now that I am familiar with block sizes, it makes it so much easier to gauge how much to eat. I now play with different blocks, but stick with Paleo 98% for what to eat.
- the biggest thing I've learned in this endeavor is to take fish oil supplement, due to the low omega 3 content in the average American diet. This is now the only supplement I take. Everything else is from whole foods.
- along with what you can eat stated by other members, don't eat sugar, grains, legumes, and salt.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:16 PM   #9
Michael Leach

Profile:
We don't have a Trader Joes around here.

Any places online come to mind that I could order some fish oil from? And maybe other things like almond butter, etc.?
Old 02-20-2007, 03:59 AM   #10
Paul Symes

Profile:
Protein Power Lifeplan is worth reading.

The Paleo Diet is too but I prefer PPL

Some paleo related links you might like (all safe)

Anthony Colpo

arthurdevany

cholesterol myths