CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-13-2006, 01:16 PM   #1
Sam Lepore

Profile:
Hey guys--

I wake up at 5AM 4 days a week and head to Crossfit Philly for a 6AM workout.

Workout on a Empty Stomach? Or continue with my Whey Protein Drink at 5:25AM prior to my workout?

There is a lot of talk about this often but I always get different answers.

Today, the owner of a nutrition store I go to told me to workout on an empty stomach. It will stimulate more Growth Hormone, in turn helping to build muscle.

Thoughts?
Old 12-13-2006, 02:47 PM   #2
Brad Davis

Profile:
No clue about the theory, but I always feel dehydrated first thing in the morning. I think I really am because I'm 3-4 lb lighter than right before bed. After I eat something and drink a fair amount of water, I feel completely different.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:01 PM   #3
Matthew McCarty

Profile:
I drink water but not too much before a workout and I almost always try to work out on an empty stomach. My food is expensive and I like to keep it in my tummy.

Never heard the GH theory either.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:32 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Get some amino acids at least in your system...otherwise you just keep breaking down muscle as your body is catabolic through the fasted state of sleep.

I also believe that GH is invertly related to cortisol....so if your cortisol is high, you may not be getting the high GH post workout you think you are. I am not sure.

I'm going to think the more intense you workout...the more GH response you will get. So if you go empty stomach and have no energy...you are not working as intensely as you can.

The "workout on an empty stomach" thing has been flying around for years...I personally don't think it's valid, as fat burning is an all day event.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:45 PM   #5
Luis Munoz

Profile:
Sam,

Art DeVaney has written a great deal about the subject of GH release and his recommendations seem to be in line with the recommendation you received from the nutrition store owner.

Art Devaney suggests nothing more than a bit of black coffee or a liquid form of arginine prior to working out (both of these are supposed to promote GH release). This could be especially important in the morning as GH is also released during sleep. He also recommends that you not eat for an hour or so after working out (as it will interfere with GH levels).

This is definitely not something everyone will like but it's definitely worth your time to check out his website and do a little reading on the subject. Do a search on "GH release". Lots of good reading.

(Work and family safe).

http://www.arthurdevany.com/evolutionary_fitness/
Old 12-14-2006, 04:43 AM   #6
Brian Reckdenwald

Profile:
I was under the impression that DeVaney was all about eating during the hour long post-workout glucose sensitive period.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:05 AM   #7
Sam Lepore

Profile:
Mike O-

As far as getting some BCAA's in me-- what do you recommend?

Luis-- Thanks for the link. Any idea where on that site he mentions my questions??

Post-work? Waiting over an hour before eating or some type of nutrients? Yeah-- seems crazy to me.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:03 AM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
You can either use Whey or get a BCAA supplement (poweder, caps, etc). L-Glutamine also has proven muscle sparing affects during exercise. The key is getting the quick absorption.

Here's an intersting article on BCAAs
T-nation, prob not SFW
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=103125183AA44DC6E0ACA63B93 37F0D6 .hydra?id=1367018
Old 12-14-2006, 07:26 AM   #9
Max Seid

Profile:
Sam, I personally cannot work out on an empty stomach. Pre-workout meals are something that I have experimented with for a while. Since you are getting up so early in the morning and are just looking for a little something to eat, try having a piece of fruit and maybe some nuts. The fruit will get your blood sugar going and it digests fairly quickly. Many people prefer to have a protein shake before they work out because it digests quickly as well.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:47 AM   #10
Sam Lepore

Profile:
Thanks guys. Felt great during my workout this AM. Nothing in the stomach. Not sure if it was good as far as GH production or muscle breakdown goes--Will do this for a while.

Thanks Mike. I will look into the BCAA's prior to workout. I have some caps but I think the powder is the way to go. Although the taste is NASTY! :puke0000: