CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-01-2016, 05:34 PM   #131
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Open 2016

I don't think that HQ gave permission for the small plates. Why not go for it and load up .25 kilo plates they would be just like jumping over the bar.. could keep up with the scaled people. Just go scaled already. Saw OPT do the wall balls with a slam ball which is legal.. I think that he pushes things to the limit. Was cool seeing him workout at the games. Wonder why he got a zero on hs walks for distance. Real rebel.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:01 PM   #132
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

Pffth. Who cares...I say it isnt fair people get to do Open workouts at sea level when others have to do it at higher elevations.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:24 PM   #133
Kevin Keast

Profile:

Apparently the CF judge thought they were asking if it was OK to have metal kilo plates on the bar to bump it 95#, while using <25# bumper plates.

Plus the movement standards state that you have to have your head under the bar for the burpee ("THE ATHLETES HEAD CANNOT BE OVER THE BARBELL"), so even thought the standards don't specify the type of plates and they were told it's OK to use all smaller plates, they still didn't meet the standards and that's on them.

Last edited by Kevin Keast : 03-01-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:09 PM   #134
Price Goosby

Profile:

I see it all falling under the category of using the wording of standards to use benefiting equipment you wouldn't normally use. Take for example last years HSPU standard with the tape mark, tons of people used their lifters to add heel height to make that mark.

As for the regional rep, I can easily see him misunderstanding their question as to what they could use since they didn't say "use ONLY fractional plates"
Old 03-01-2016, 07:22 PM   #135
Jon Campbell

Profile:

I am curious why they specifically asked about small kilo plates.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:35 AM   #136
John Drohan

Profile:

Switching gears again...

Castro and Bailey spotted in Asheville, NC yesterday at Crossfit Summit. I'm putting on detective shoes and claiming that the location for the 16.2 garage workout must be somewhat near by.

PS: I"m an hour and 15 minutes from Asheville. C'mon, one time!!!
Old 03-02-2016, 08:59 AM   #137
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Drohan View Post
Switching gears again...

Castro and Bailey spotted in Asheville, NC yesterday at Crossfit Summit. I'm putting on detective shoes and claiming that the location for the 16.2 garage workout must be somewhat near by.

PS: I"m an hour and 15 minutes from Asheville. C'mon, one time!!!
If they were going to pick your garage, you would have known by now.

This video clip is pretty entertaining:
http://games.crossfit.com/video/upda...e-gym-showdown (wfs)
Old 03-02-2016, 09:51 AM   #138
John Drohan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
If they were going to pick your garage, you would have known by now.

This video clip is pretty entertaining:
http://games.crossfit.com/video/upda...e-gym-showdown (wfs)
There's no room for logic here....
Old 03-02-2016, 11:55 AM   #139
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Of course there were a lot of people that did just that. Not only that, but for people that had access they used the Hi Temp style bumpers plates where they were available and the most flexible bar they could get their hands on.

Now if you have ever put three 45# hi temps and compared dead-lifting them to using competition style plates you will note the difference. This seemed to be well within the rules as it did not seem to shorten any range of motion. It was however the equivalent of bouncing a 225/315# basketball. And with a really good and flexible weightlifting bar you would get a little help that way as well.

It happens, no different than using a very liable section of pull up bar, it will help as it gives a little spring.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:57 AM   #140
Michael Capalbo

Profile:

On the different-sized plates, this is a different but related topic:

A few years ago one of the Open workouts was a deadlift ladder w increasing weights (for the guys 135-185-225-275-315-365)

Suppose that you had for equipment:

--a pair of 45-lb metal plates

--3 pairs of 25-lb metal plates (so they are of smaller diameter and slide right on and off the bar)

--4 pairs of 10-lb metal plates, or BONUS 2 pairs of 20-pound plates (20-pound plates has to be a thing, right?)

Then adding weight for the deadlift ladder becomes quite easy, and for some people, has to be worth several important reps. While others were spending energy and critical moments putting on and taking off 25- and 45-pound bumpers, someone else could just be sliding on these metal plates which just glide on the bar. Takes maybe 8 seconds a round. Would that have been allowed? I mean, doing deadlifts this way has to be really tough on both the floor and the lone pair of 45s, but some people don't care. And if someone does it in a globo (and has no conscience) then it isn't his floor or his plates.

This does tie in to the debate about the controversy w bar-facing burpees in 16.1 using the smaller plates: One thing that critics say about CrossFit not being a sport is that too often rules are made and applied retroactively when someone discovers a loop-hole. One thing that should become closer to uniform is the equipment/equipment requirements.