CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 03-29-2019, 09:24 AM   #941
Alex Burden

Profile:
Re: Its me and it's her (the wife)

She’s great Vic.... train really well together.

Friday morning and the plan was to workout but whoever was supposed to open the gym overslept and didn’t turn up....

One of the personal trainers turned up after 45 min but we had left after 40min.

We and another 30 people weren’t happy. Most people left.

Sending angry mail to thier head office about this.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:06 AM   #942
Alex Burden

Profile:

Monday morning and we are not at the gym today. We decided to stay at our summer house today. Got up late and went for a 6km power walk through the woods. Nice little sweat on after that and a light stretch.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:34 AM   #943
Alex Burden

Profile:

Tuesday morning and back to business. Both of us are feeling well rested but tired. We chnaged to summer time and that 1hr difference really f#¤ks us us for a few weeks, i can't wait until 2020 when they stop summer/winter time in Europe.

Plan - Fridays workout, or part of it anyway.

Warm up
A good 15min running warm up and just a very light stretch
This was important for me as i needed to know if my knee would hold up for the first part.

Part of friday
20 min run on treadmill for distance.
Set treadmill to 1 degree incline

Wife - 3100 meters
Myself - 3450 meters

It felt really good today, much better than we thought. We haven't ran for quite a few weeks but we were both in the flow and had no problems. I was really unsure how my knee would react but i had no isses at all, not the slightest tendancy to pain.

Strict work
Super Set
6 x 8 Shrugs 9/16kg DB's (20/35lbs)
6 x 8 Lying bench rows 9/20kg DB's (20/44lbs)

These felt good, not heavy but really good muscle contraction.

Pull ups - pro & sup (super set)

Wife assisted - 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 total = 36 reps
Myself - 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6 total = 52 reps

So the focus for the wife today was to use a band that gave less resistance making her pull ups more difficult. During her rounds of 3reps she almost actually got her first without a band. I also helped her with 2 sets where i helped her from her hips with the neccessary help to get the pull up, i hardly had to help which means she is almost there. She is so determined to get her first one strict.
I had no issues today and i was feeling strong, nice 2 sec pause at the bottom before each rep and great form.

Cool down
20 min stretch a little all over the place.

Nice start to the week, it feels like Monday but it is Tuesday.

Last edited by Alex Burden : 04-02-2019 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:33 AM   #944
Alex Burden

Profile:

Wednesday morning, both feeling quite good and looking forward to today.

Plan - 2 and a bit

Warm up
60 cal row
lots of pipe, band work
light stretch plus warm up with the movements to come
get the heart rate up a bit on the AAB

a good 35min today.

2 and a bit
So today i had planned a couple of AMRAPS but i had made a time calculation where i knew that we could both complete 2 rounds and some within the time cap.

12 min AMRAP
15/20 - cal Row
20 - DB Box step ups 16/22kg (35/50lbs)
15 - Sit-ups
5 - Strict HSPU/wall walks

Wife - 2 + 26 = 136 reps
Myself - 2 + 37 = 157 reps

This is the first time i have incorporated SHSPU and wall walks into a WOD. Now that the wife is comfortable with the wall walks it was perfect. This was a great test for both of us. I went 2,2,1 for my SHSPU taking a small rest between, wife was methodical and smooth on her reps. Just as planned we both completed 2 and a bit.

Rest 10min - clean up and prepare for next WOD

4 min AMRAP
20 KB swings (american style) 16/24kgs (35/53lbs)
10 burpees

Wife - 2 + 11 = 71 reps
Myself - 2 + 17 = 77 reps

This was a hard one and the KB's blew the shoulders up, both of us went unbroken on them otherwise we would loose the lead if one of us had it. On the first set of burpees i am not sure if the wife missed a rep or two, or if i did one or two too many because we both finished that round at the same time, yet i was ahead. i reckon the wife lost count becasue i am sure i only did 10. Both hate buprees, just kept moving on them.

So both of the WOD's were a lot of fun today.

Cool down
sweat and stretch for 20min
Old 04-03-2019, 08:26 AM   #945
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

Alex,
How are you doing? Thank you for all of your help over the past months.

Enjoy April!
Vic
Owner of Crossfitdarkside.com Fran: 2:36 Diane: 2:30 Jackie 5:43 Mary 15+ rounds Helen 6:58
Old 04-03-2019, 11:51 PM   #946
Alex Burden

Profile:

Mail on the way Vic
Old 04-04-2019, 12:26 AM   #947
Alex Burden

Profile:

Thursday morning and both of us are feeling really good, we both slep a lot better and are almost in line with summer time. This makes so much of a difference.

Plan for today - Fixed and feel

Warm up
So today we did a different warm up, stole some things from Josh Bridges.... i was thinking why not .
Started with a nice and easy 3min on the AAB just to get the blood flowing and then we used resistance bands for 5 different movments to warm up/ stretch/mobilize the legs. flet good after that.

After this pipe and band work for shoulders

Then we started with the barbell to squat, push presses and start to warm up for the fixed part of today.

All in all a good 40min i would say.

Fixed - Clean and Jerk
This is a full squat clean with a split jerk at the end.

So the idea for the rep count i stole from Rich Froning yesterday after seeing a WOD they did but i calculated the weight backwards, by this i mean that i chose the max weight first (final lift) and then worked backwards to decide on the prior lifts and where we will start. Froning and company did this really fast, we decided to focus on quality in all of the lifts.

10, 8, 6, 4, 2 reps. increasing ladder. Fixed weights for each lift.
As a partner WOD share the reps 50/50, but we can decide if we want to go singles, double or more reps. You only get 15 lifts in total. We decided to alternate after each rep.

Wife:
5 x 27
4 x 31
3 x 35
2 x 39
1 x 43kgs/95lbs New PR by 1kg/2lbs

Myself:
5 x 55
4 x 65
3 x 75
2 x 85
1 x 95kgs/209lbs = 99% of 1RM

We have not gone heavy in C&J since Oct last year, even though we actually use the movement in WODs but with lower weights it was time to push the limit again.
Focus on start position, heels close, toes out, back locked, driving the bar on the pulls but most important getting under the bar fast, that means being aggressive.

Things felt really good from the start and we were both really fast under the bar. The wife commented that the split jerk felt really short and i told her this was due to the fact that she kept her chest up and was aggressive thus fast and stable. I also felt the same from the start.

The worst lifts for both of us were the final lifts. They both looked ugly and i am not surprised as this was a new PR for the wife (she did not know that at the time) and 99% of my 1RM. The ugly part was the split jerk. We need to go heavy more often but there are so many things to do we would have to work out twice a day to fit it all in.

Feel - Power Snatch
10, 8, 6, 4, 2 reps. - as above, we alternate the reps.

The difference with the power snatch was that we had a starting weight and then it was up to ourselfs to decide on how much to increase the weight as we progressed. This is where we went by feel and could plan how far to take it.

Wife:
5 x 15
4 x 20
3 x 26
2 x 28
1 x 30kgs/66lbs = 97% of 1RM

Myself:
5 x 45
4 x 55
3 x 60
2 x 64
1 x 68kgs/150lbs = 98% of 1RM

last time we went heavy was in August last year so it was time again. Only one plan, good start position and explode. We both did really well and the wife only has 2 ugly lifts. Had i planned a little different i could have taken 70kgs as 68kgs flew up.

Cool Down
20 min stretch and clean up all our crap.

very pleased with today.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:19 AM   #948
Alex Burden

Profile:

Friday morning, little tight here and there apart from that feeling good. Wife was in a good mood but tired. Had to pack the car today for a trip and got to the gym 20min later than normal, that put us off a little at the start.

Plan - for distance

Warm up
So we should have done our running warm up for 15min but we were so late that we decided to walk a little and then start. Maybe not the best start but what the hell.

For distance
Run, Row, Ski and AAB

Wife:
20min - Run 3020m
15min - Row - 3093m
10min - Ski - 1636m
5min - AAB - 2583m

Total = 10332m

Myself:
20min - Run 3250m
15min - Row - 3616m
10min - Ski - 2088m
5min - AAB - 3234m

Total = 12188m

minimum rest between movements, basically the time it took to move to them and start them up.

We took it easier on the run and took part of it as an extra part of the warm up, still not a bad distance. After the run things felt better, after a couple of min i jumped off the rower to fix the music in the gym, some idiot had put it on super fast and it sounded like some stupid kids music, so i lost 30 seconds fixing that.
Then we came to the ski only to find that 1 was being used, 3 of them were broken and we only had 1 so i jumped on the AAB instead and the wife hit the ski-erg. The AAB before the ski was horrible even if i got to rest 5min while i waited for the ski.

So today was all messed up but we got through it.

Cool down
A stretch for 20min while sweating a lot.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:25 AM   #949
Alex Burden

Profile:

Monday morning and we are both feeling well rested. Did not do that much over the weekend just chores at our summer house.

Plan - fixed

Warm up
3 min on the AAB nice and easy, get the blood flowing
pipe work for some shoulde mobility
lights squats to get the legs going.

Fixed - 10min cap
6 x 8 reps - Squat - same weight for all reps

Warm up with squats and work up to the fixed weight we plan to use for the sets.

Wife - 30kgs/66lbs
Myself - 75kgs/165lbs

This is the first time we did this and we were unsure about the weight, after we were done i think we both went a little conservative. I know that i could have have addedd another 10kgs and the wife said 5kgs but with the short time frame even these weights got the heart rate up.

Fixed - 10min cap
6 x 8 reps - Deadlift - same weight for all reps

Wife - 50kgs/110lbs
Myself - 95kgs/209lbs

These were so much easier than we thought, they felt so solid, no worries on the grip, TnGo. At least another 10kgs on this.

12 min - for Distance - Partner

Both complete the following:
2min - Row
2min - AAB
2min - Row
2min - AAB
2min - Row
2min - AAB

Row - 2589m (152 cal)
AAB - 6798m (140 cal)

So the wife started on the row, once she was done i followed her and took over the row, she jumped strait on the AAB and then we just kept moving and rotating. We did loose 15 seconds on the AAB because we had to adjust the seat height every time.
This was good. Rest at 85% on the rower and we went 75-80% on the AAB, we made sure we didn't blow up at any time but kept a nice flow.

Cool down
nice 20min stretch

nice start to the week
Old 04-09-2019, 03:35 AM   #950
Alex Burden

Profile:

Tuesday morning - both a little sore in the quads this morning apart from that a little tired. So all in things were good.

Plan - finish off *2 and a bit* from last week and an EMOM

Warm up
4-5min on the AAB - nice and easy, get the blood flowing roughly 2.5km

pipe work and some mobility work
Warm up with what was to come

a good 35min i would say.

Finish off 2 and a bit
So last week we did 2 WODs (Wednesday) but we only had time for 2 of them, this is one we had left.

8min AMRAP
15 wallballs 6/9kg (14/20lbs)
10 DB snatch 10/22kgs (22/50lbs)
5 rope climbs/holds

Wife - 3 rounds = 90 reps
Myself - 2 rounds + 29 = 89reps

This was the WOD left over, programmed to completed 2 and a bit rounds. This was a good test and got the heart rate up. I came up 1 rep short because we alternated on the ropes. The ropes are close to each other and my rope would flick up and almost hit the wife in her face so i had to wait until she had completed her rope hold before i could complete mine.

EMOM 20
Min 1-5 = 2 C&J 30/60kgs (66/132lbs)
Min 6-10 = 25/50 Du/Su's
Min 11-15 = 5 T2B + 5 Sit-ups
Min 16-20 = 10/6 Push-ups

The focus of this was to work for 15-20 seconds. With only having to work for such a short time all of the reps had to be 100% perfect, no sloppy technique what so ever. Nice little sweat on after this. The wife enjoyed this one.

Cool down
20min stretch

Last edited by Alex Burden : 04-09-2019 at 03:49 AM.