CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 03-05-2019, 02:22 AM   #921
Alex Burden

Profile:
Re: Its me and it's her (the wife)

Tuesday morning and i am feeling quite good aprt from my left hand that is quite sore. Wife slept well but was tired... maybe 90% today, one of those days.

Plan - do something with not a lot of gripping on things. (save my left hand)

Warm up
1km row
band, pipe work

set up and warm up with the first part of today and a little mobility.

Plan

Ski erg for calories

@ the same time.

5 rounds each, alternating between this and ski-erg
5 wall balls 6/9kgs
5 burpees

Time = 8.26, 82 calories

Some core work

Back extensions 5 x 8 reps
Stability ball sit ups with vacuum 5 x 8 reps
Stability ball superman holds 5 x 8 reps (5 second holds)
Ab vacuum on dip bar 6 x 5reps (5-10 second vacuums)

Cool down
stretch for 20min

nice easy day, good muscle contact today.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:06 AM   #922
Alex Burden

Profile:

Wednesday morning - both a little tired this morning, one of those days . I taped up my ripped hand hoping it will not bleed today, still very sore but the goal is to protect it as best i can.

Plan - get your heart rate up

Warm up
1km on the row
Band work on shoulders

good general warm up on shoulders and legs with some mobility.

I follow

5 rounds
5 thrusters 23/43kgs (50/95lbs)
10/15 cals AAB (10 wife, 15 for myself)

This was nice and fast. The heart rate was high throughout. I did my thrusters and as soon as i jumped on the AAB the wife started her thrusters, in this way we followed each other rather than going side by side.

5 rounds
10 DB hang cleans 10/22kgs (22/50lbs) 5reps on each arm
1 HSPU Strict/Wall walk/hold

The hardest part of this was the HSPU for me, i took a few seconds rest before the rep as i did not want any no reps. Wife did really well and she is so pleased with her wall walk/holds, she felt solid. the more often she does these the better she feels.

5 rounds
5 Push ups
2 sled pushes 45/60kgs (99/133lbs) 1 length of gym = 20m

Wife started this one, UgoIgo this time. It was nice to rest a little between the rounds as the heart was pumping full on.

So today was built up of a lot of pushing ensuring we were going to get tired. We both enjoyed it and each 5 rounds was about 10min at the most.

Cool down
A good stretch for 20min
Old 03-07-2019, 02:21 AM   #923
Alex Burden

Profile:

Thursday morning - decided to take a rest day, i have not had one of these for a while on a weekday.

This will also help my ripped hand heal a little before tomorrow.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:47 AM   #924
Alex Burden

Profile:

Friday morning and both of us are feeling well rested. I was looking forward to today as i actually told Jacob Hepner yesterday on his youtube channel that i think it will be strict HSPU and DB OH walking lunges.... he liked that idea and it seems i was right. At last Strict HSPU's, this was going to be moving week for me compared to last week.

Warm up
1km on the rower
Wife did her own warm up and i moved onto mine.

squats, shoulder presses, mobility, lunges and a couple of HSPU's i was ready. The HSPU's felt easy during the warm up... i was ready to go.

Open 19.3
For time:
200-ft. dumbbell overhead lunge
50 dumbbell box step-ups
50 strict handstand push-ups
200-ft. handstand walk

M 50-lb. dumbbell / 24-in. box

Time cap: 10 minutes

Result = stopped after 4 x 25ft due to injury!!
I am not going to register a score for 19.3, it's over.

Everything was feeling great from the start, little unstable on the left side but nothing special. The lunges were ok and i felt the length of my steps were ok. Nice and steady all the way. I had 1 final step to take on the 4th length (20th rep) and it was a little longer so i took a longer step with my left foot, went into the lunge and my right hip/upper quad popped in the front at the bottom just as i was going to lift my leg. This was not good and i stopped i immediately, dropped the DB and %%&// &&%# !"# swore like trooper.

Thats it, i knew it strait away the open is now over for me 2019!

I have added a pic of the injury area and it can be 1-2 of the muscles in that region. I was lucky i had already had an appointment with my chiropractor this morning after 19.3. He went through the motions and concluded that this is a muscle injury only but it will take time for this to heal. He did some laser treatment to the injury area and made sure that i had full mobility. I can feel it on every step when i walk, thats how i know the open is over.

I feel so dissapointed, i just wanted to cry. I was dissapointed because i knew that this week was good for me, for once all that hard work would pay off and this happens. Even as i am writing this i am gutted because i am taking care of my knee injury and then this happens and now this.

Wife

10 deadlifts @ 40kgs
10 DB bench press @ 8 kgs
8 deadlifts @ 50kgs
8 DB bench press @ 10 kgs
6 deadlifts @ 60kgs
6 DB bench press @ 12 kgs
4 deadlifts @ 70kgs
4 DB bench press @ 14 kgs
2 deadlifts @ 80kgs
2 DB bench press @ 16 kgs

No rush on this, she was very strong today and 2 reps @ 85% on deadlift was great. She also attempted 90kgs and did ok on that.

10 x 5 reps OHS for form with PVC pipe only
10 x 5 reps Toes 2 Rings

Cool down
just chat and be depressed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quadriceps I.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	14046  

Last edited by Alex Burden : 03-08-2019 at 04:59 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:20 AM   #925
Alex Burden

Profile:

Monday morning - i was hoping that my hip was not as bad as i thought over the weekend and maybe i could try 19.3 again today... this was not the case , i can't get into the lunge position as the extention of the hip hurts, it even hurts when i walk and push off with my foot. So it is confirmed The open is over for me for 2019, i am not going to contimnue with it, just concentrate on our own training and work around the injury.

Apart from that we both felt good this morning, just different focus from now on.

Plan - partner

Warm up
1km row
pipe and band mobility work

set up and warm up with the first workout for today.

All in all 40min. I must mention that during this time i also had to check and feel if any movements affected the my hip in any way. lucky enough i was good to go.

Partner - UgoIgo - share the load

For time
100 cal ski-erg
80 air squats
60 push ups
40 strict pull ups
20 burpees

Time = 19.16

This was ok and we got a sweat on. nice to get the whole body activated.

For time
5 rounds each - I follow you
10/15 cals AAB
60/30 Su/Du's

Time: 12.22

So the wife started on the AAB and as soon as she was done i jumped on it. This meant that once she was done with her Su's she would get a small rest before she hit the AAB and i the Du's. We continued rotating like this until we were done. We did lose time on the change overs on the AAB as we had to reset it and adjust the seat height at the same time, and once i lost 20 seconds because i did not reset it correctly . This did get the heart rate up which was good. I think i was the only one to trip once on the Du's, wife was easy unbroken. Pacing on the AAB was around 50-60 seconds for the wife for 10 cals and i took it easy and it would take 53-56 seconds for 15 cals.

So considering the injury from last week i am pleased i was not affected as much as i thought i would be.

Cool Down
stretch for 20min
Old 03-12-2019, 02:42 AM   #926
Alex Burden

Profile:

Tuesday and feeling tired, both slept well but generally sleepy tired not tired in the body. No soreness from yesterday.

Plan - mix it up today

Warm up
1km row
pipe/band work
warm the legs up really well.

warm up with the first part of today.

Mixing it up
Wife -
5 DB goblet squats 10kg/22lbs
5 Barbell power cleans 25kg/55lbs
5 DB goblet squats 12kg/26lbs

5 DB goblet squats 14kg/30lbs
5 DB goblet squats 16kg/35lbs

5 DB goblet squats 18kg/39lbs

Myself -
5 DB goblet squats 14kg/31lbs
5 Barbell power cleans 50kg/110lbs
5 DB goblet squats 18kg/39lbs

5 DB goblet squats 22kg/49lbs
5 DB goblet squats 26kg/57lbs

5 DB goblet squats 30kg/66lbs

No time on this but no stopping either. Felt good and got the heart and lungs going.

Strict HSPU, unbroken Wall walks into hold for time
Wife - wall walk into holds 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35 seconds

Myself - Strict HSPU but increase with 1 rep on each round unbroken.
1 , 2, 3, 4, 5, 5 = 20 reps

Wife did really well and she was closer to the wall again, she is getting better at these and her stability in the hold was great. She did comment that she felt weightless against the wall with her feet.
As for myself, due to the fact that i could complete 19.3 i needed to prove that strict HSPU are no issue for me, I increased the unbroken reps and they felt great. If i had only done doubles or singles i could have done more, but that was not the goal for today.

AAB - 10 rounds of 5 cal for time (max speed)
Wife -
0:16 seconds
0:15
0:16
0:17

Myself -
0:09 seconds
0:08
0:09

This was just a short sharp shock to the system with max speed. Rest roughly 4 times the time it took to complete your 5 cals. Wife rested about 1min and myself 30-40 seconds. No lactic acid build up on this at all, pure lungs. Wife hit 78-81 RPM and could not get below 15 seconds and boy did she try, I just could not get the thing under 8 seconds no matter what. Its getting the thing moving is where you loose time, once it is moving the thing flys...

Cool down
stretch for 20min
Old 03-12-2019, 11:14 AM   #927
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

Sad to hear about the injury. Good news is the next open is in October.
Owner of Crossfitdarkside.com Fran: 2:36 Diane: 2:30 Jackie 5:43 Mary 15+ rounds Helen 6:58
Old 03-13-2019, 01:07 AM   #928
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic McQuaide View Post
Sad to hear about the injury. Good news is the next open is in October.

you can say that....
Old 03-13-2019, 02:06 AM   #929
Alex Burden

Profile:

Wednesday morning. wife slept well and she was feeling quite good. I slept really bad as my knee way giving me grief again. If i sleep in a funny position it can put pressure on the inside of my knee and this wakes me up. Apart from that. shoulders are a little sore from yesterday.

Plan - snatch progression, technique

Warm up
pipe and band work
extensive shoulder mobility
light squats, OHS, snatch balance

Build up some speed getting under the bar

Snatch
So the plan was to go light only, work on technique and bar path, sometimes plans change once you get going.

Wife - her problem has been over rotation at the top and using the shoulders to stop the barbell from going to far back. This is due to her not pulling vertically from the start which in turn affect her second pull causing an arc/over rotation at the top. So working from the ground up i needed to analyse what was going on. In basic terms if he start is off the rest will be off.

Found =
i noticed her feet were wide and pointing more forward which in turn she could not get her knees out of the way of the bar. To compensate she was forced to have her backside higher thus moving her shoulders to far in front of the barbell. This causes an arc at the bottom, when the barbell is pulled into the hips it bounced away from her body causing a massive arc/rotation so she was forced to use her shoulders to stop the bar overhead, rather than it just lands there.

Solution =
1 - got her to move her heels 4-5"/10-12.5 cm closer
2 - point her toes outwards by about 2"/5cm on each side
1+2 enable her to get lower to the bar

3 - lower back side in start position, this pushed her knees forward between her elbows
4 - eyes focus position was higher in front of her as her chest was more upright

End result was that the bar was now closer to her, she was more compact and stable in the start position.

Result =
The wife was able to push with her heels driving more vertical as her knees moved out of the way and behind the barbell. The initial pull being more vertical made the pull to the hips better and the second pull was 70% more vertical thus removing that arc/over rotation at the top. The barbell flew up and landed/dropped perfectly in that OH position.

Wife feedback =
She felt she could drive with her heels, the barbells all felt light after a while. She was ecstatic on how the bar flew up, she could pull herself under the bar really fast. I could hear how the bar was close to her shins as it made a sound against her tights in the first pull. When she received the bar at the top she felt no rotation and pain in her shoulders as the over rotation was gone. I filmed her so that she could see the difference.
She said it felt lighter and more stable over time. If she thought to much it went wrong, less focus on so much, keep it simple. Once the start position was good the rest fell into place.
I have never seen her this happy for ages. She used 10, 15 and an 18kg barbell.

Myself =
Brush up on what i have and keep things smooth. Once i got going the barbell felt light and i had to increase the weight from 40 to 50 to 60 and finally 65kgs/143lbs.
The reason i had to increase the weight was that the only way you know if my techinique is good is if you increase the weight. Errors or bad technique shows it face once you go heavier as your brain will cease to work or interfere.
I felt my starting position was stable, first pull was great and the second pull felt easy making it easy to pull myself under the bar. I caught the bar really well at the top in a solid bottom position, no over rotation at the top.

We worked on this for 70-80min today and i would say anywhere between 40 and 50 lifts. I had 2 fails and the wife maybe 5 or 6. So the plan of only going light got thrown out of the window as we took the weight up. I know the wife has so much more in the tank after today.

Cool down
clean up and 20min stretch.

Last edited by Alex Burden : 03-13-2019 at 02:21 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:55 AM   #930
Alex Burden

Profile:

Taking a rest day today. I think we are going to plan for 4 days a week only for a while.