CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-17-2006, 10:44 PM   #1
Joe Miller

Profile:
Okay, I'm totally confused: what's the difference? I mean, I understand that one comes from Cod liver but -- which one should I be taking? Why would someone prefer one over the other, or why do they even sell these two distinct products?

To simplify the question, let's just compare Carlson's liquid "Norwegian Cod Liver Oil" to their liquid "Very Finest Fish Oil". What's the difference, what's better, and why?
Old 03-18-2006, 02:52 AM   #2
Tony Ferous

Profile:
CLO(cod liver oil) is rich in vitamins A+D, these are abscent from fish body oils, so take CLO during winter months, if you don't get much sun exposure(and thus not much D).
Pre-formed vitamin A is also useful, if you avoid milk(enriched with A) you might need it.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:08 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Tony,
The vitamin A in CLO is naturally occurring. This should not be compared side-by-side to the synthetic vitamin A palmitate added to milk. This compound, along with the vitamin D3, are potent inflammatory substances according to Dr. Childers (www.noarthritis.com).

FYI, I know a raw dairy farm that doesn't add vitamin D to their milk (even though they are supposed to) because their milk test high enough in vitamin D naturally! Makes one wonder what pasteurization does to the naturally-occuring vitamin D. It is a hormone, I would assume that the protein structure becomes denatured and dysfunctional in terms of vitamin D activity.

I take CLO year-round, in sensible doses (between 1/2 to 1 Tbsp. a day). I'm not concerned about A or D overdose, as I'm not taking outrageous amounts and it is naturally occurring (much harder to OD than a synthetic that the body doesn't recognize as readily).
Old 03-18-2006, 03:52 PM   #4
Gregory Spilson

Profile:
Dr G.-

You take CLO year round, as do I. Do you take any other fish oil supplements in addition? Or do you feel that you get more bang for your buck with CLO? Gracias.

Old 03-18-2006, 08:18 PM   #5
Joe Miller

Profile:
I take CLO year-round, in sensible doses (between 1/2 to 1 Tbsp. a day). I'm not concerned about A or D overdose

Um, okay, what would be a not-sensible dose? I take 2-3 tbsp.'s a day. Bad?

And I'm still not sure what the advantage to clo vs. fish oil (or vice-versa) is.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:58 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Joe,

Fish oil is body oils from cold-water fish. The main things we obtain from it are EPA & DHA. That's it.

Cod Liver Oil, while from a fish, is different in source and constituents. CLO contains EPA/DHA (typically in smaller amounts than a pure fish oil) and it also contains naturally-occurring vitamin A & D. As we seem to live most of our lives indoors nowadays, the exogenous vitamin D is very helpful to us.

2-3 Tbsp. a day, depending on brand (vitamins A and D are fat-soluble and one can take too much), may or may not be excessive, depending on things like liver function and sun exposure.

In terms of liver function, here's one example. A college roommate of mine was staying up all night playing a video game. Through a combination of juicing and eating them, I think he went through about a bag and a half of baby carrots. The next morning, he had classic symptoms of vitamin A overdose, including skin rash, headache, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), and a yellowish tint to his skin. He is full-blooded Korean (this is significant when one knows about liver CYP450 systems) and he had some "abnormal" liver CYP450 systems (ie. he could drink more than anyone I'd ever seen, he was also immune to morphine). The doctor at the school health clinic paraded him around to all of the practitioners there as seeing vitamin A overdose seems rare these days.

The liquid CLO from www.greenpasture.org that I take and recommend is very high in A & D, about twice that of the Carlson's liquid CLO that is currently popular on this board. 2-3 Tbsp of the Green Pasture might be too much for some, whereas the Carlson's might be fine in that amount.

If you are looking to obtain your A, D, and EPA/DHA in as little oil as possible, I'd personally look into your desires for levels of each of those nutrients. Then do CLO to get the A & D (with some EPA/DHA included) and finish off your EPA/DHA requirements with some high potency fish oil (assuming that the CLO doesn't get you where you want to be initially).

Hope that helps.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:12 PM   #7
Joe Miller

Profile:
Thank you very much, Garrett, that was a great explanation and exactly what I was looking for!

By the way, I'm very excited to see your website is finally up and running! Great site, with good infomation and what looks like a nice product selection. Once I burn through some of my current stocks, I'm going to try and sample some of your wares!
Old 03-19-2006, 09:51 PM   #8
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Thank you for your kind words, Joe! I'm glad I could be of assistance.