CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 08-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #1
Nate Daniel

Profile:
Squatting

Ok I have been working on mobility a lot lately after squatting wrong for years. Here are some videos showing where I fail. If anyone can point out what I really need to focus on to get these correct, that would be amazing! My goal is to get it where I can maintain the upright torso so I can eventually do full snatches.

All links are Work and Family Safe

The first one I did was with a 15# plate out in front of me, I feel like I had OK form with this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJIbz...Cdq5vWOjcyzqfQ

Next I tried a goblet squat. with this I am getting too much forward lean, and some butt wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8zJ...Cdq5vWOjcyzqfQ

Then just to see I did a PVC overhead squat. Again a lot of forward lean, and butt wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGPj6...Cdq5vWOjcyzqfQ

Last edited by Nate Daniel : 08-22-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Squatting

Honestly the goblet and plate squat looked pretty good. Make sure you keep your feet rooted.

For the OHS, make sure you keep pushing your knees out so your body can descend between your hips.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
Danny Bostwick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Daniel View Post
Ok I have been working on mobility a lot lately after squatting wrong for years. Here are some videos showing where I fail. If anyone can point out what I really need to focus on to get these correct, that would be amazing! My goal is to get it where I can maintain the upright torso so I can eventually do full snatches.

All links are Work and Family Safe

The first one I did was with a 15# plate out in front of me, I feel like I had OK form with this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJIbz...Cdq5vWOjcyzqfQ

Next I tried a goblet squat. with this I am getting too much forward lean, and some butt wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8zJ...Cdq5vWOjcyzqfQ

Then just to see I did a PVC overhead squat. Again a lot of forward lean, and butt wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGPj6...Cdq5vWOjcyzqfQ
Hey Man, you've got good flexibility through the hips, I think at least, with some squat development, we may be able to tell a bit more. Your posting here which obviously shows some courage which is always good as the internet is not a kind place. Your much to knee initiated with the squat. Knees go first, the hips just kind sink to the floor.

Instead, get organized at the top of the squat. Deep breath, tight stomach, butt tight, feet screwed in. Send the hips back and down first, think about pushing down through your hamstrings. Stay tight through the movement, constantly pushing out the knees.

Pat Sherwood just released a squat video yesterday on Mainsite and he has another front squat vid that is equally as good.

As for the overhead squat, I think that's a shoulder mobility issue, zeeerrro thoracic extension. Look up some mobility wod videos on the thoracic area, they probably won't be pleasant, but do them anyway, they are a must. Still very knee initiated and not using any hamstrings.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
Nate Daniel

Profile:

@ Robert Thanks for the tips! Keeping my feet rooted is a big problem. I also have an issue with wanting to look down to make sure my knees arent coming in.

@Danny: Thank you for that, I have been working on these a lot and have figured out its mainly an ankle mobility issue for my regular squats, and a huge lack of mobility in shoulders and t-spine when over head! I have started working on the Mobilitywod stuff, and yesterday was actually able to get a 65# OHS with decent form (heels elevated on plates until my Lifters come in). Compared to a 240# front squat, HUGE mobility issues!

I understand the internet can be a harsh place, but due to my location availabilty of coaches is not easy. We have volunteer coaches at my box, who are amazing! But from the time we get out of work, until the gym closes is only enough time for class, and I dont want to take time away from there family to nit pick my individual skill work. Thanks again.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
Danny Bostwick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Daniel View Post
@ Robert Thanks for the tips! Keeping my feet rooted is a big problem. I also have an issue with wanting to look down to make sure my knees arent coming in.

@Danny: Thank you for that, I have been working on these a lot and have figured out its mainly an ankle mobility issue for my regular squats, and a huge lack of mobility in shoulders and t-spine when over head! I have started working on the Mobilitywod stuff, and yesterday was actually able to get a 65# OHS with decent form (heels elevated on plates until my Lifters come in). Compared to a 240# front squat, HUGE mobility issues!

I understand the internet can be a harsh place, but due to my location availabilty of coaches is not easy. We have volunteer coaches at my box, who are amazing! But from the time we get out of work, until the gym closes is only enough time for class, and I dont want to take time away from there family to nit pick my individual skill work. Thanks again.
Probably missing a little bit of flexibility through the ankles (most people are), but I don't think that's the biggest issue. I'd work on hip openers and the initiation sequence first and for most. The knee initiation, and the hips just sinking down instead of going back is your biggest problem. Address that big time.

Thoracic, yeah, definitely a problem haha! You've got a lot more in the tank with some mobility and some squat therapy! Moreso squat therapy than mobility for front and back squating!