CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:04 AM   #1
Wil Mercado

Profile:
Crossfit in my garage w/friends...problem?

I have been crossfitting out of my garage with a friend for a few months now. I am L1 certified and been in CF for 2yrs. This one friend has now turned into me training 8 people (no charge). Can someone sue me if they get hurt? If I start charging do I have to contact Crossfit or be registered as an affiliate? I don't know what to ask, but this is really snowballing on me and I want to do things the right way. People see us doing WODs in my garage and just come by and want to join in. I can't just say no.
Any advice would be great
Old 04-02-2014, 08:26 AM   #2
Christopher Morris

Profile:
Re: Crossfit in my garage w/friends...problem?

Well, you could say no. Some of the things you say sound like you're the type to let circumstances control you. ("turned into," "snowballing," "just come by," "can't say no") It's all right to have an opinion about how you want things to be happening, and to stick by it. Especially if you're the Level I and it's your garage.

In 'murica anyone can sue anybody at any time for any perceived wrong. It is possible that you could get sued by someone injured at your home.

Also, if you're advertising that you do "CrossFit," then you should register as an affiliate.

That being said, how close are these friends? How much common sense do they have? Do they take personal responsibility for their lives? Common sense says that if I go exercise, I assume some risk. I wouldn't sue unless the garage had something negligently wrong and dangerous that hurt me. Think about the level of risk you're comfortable with.

Is this just a group of friends working out together? Does it feel more like a class or a business? If you're considering the cost of affiliating, that will lead you down the path of business. You should charge and get insurance.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
Chuck Golden

Profile:

I just wish I lived closer to Keller so I could become one of these friends and WOD at no charge!
Old 04-03-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
Koa Meador-Levy

Profile:

You might want to regain some balls. Sorry but you make it sound like you are a huge push over.

Nobody is forcing you to train. No you don't need a an affiliate unless you are using the word crossfit to make some sort of profit.

If your garage becomes such and such crossfit then sure. If they sue you might be one at fault if you are charging. simply "working out together" and an injury occurs and someone tries to sue is gonna be a stretch.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:55 AM   #5
Jeff Sprunger

Profile:

Wow, some serious Tough Love going on here! but all true.

What do you want? Money, growth, a business?

Make your "friends" sign a waiver. Come up with a name and get your affiliation. and, even if you don't affiliate, get insurance! do a search on the forum and you will turn up some good possibilities.

good luck. don't be surprised if some of your "friends" walk away when you want them to pay.

good luck!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #6
Wil Mercado

Profile:

Ouch...Let me get my balls out of my wifes purse for a few...LOL.
I spoke to a lawyer and he said just make sure they sign a waiver which I've recently done. Becoming an affiliate was never my intention, though now seems like a possibility. I'm not doing it for income, I have a great career, but I love crossfit and seeing others improve, and being a part of that improvement..A freind suggested maybe I start a little donation jar, to help re-invest in equipment. Right now I'm just enjoying the journey (as long as no one gets hurt).
ps...I now have 13 people coming
Old 04-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #7
Jason Marceaux

Profile:

I could be wrong, but you only need to be an affiliate if your using the CrossFit name... right?

Last edited by Jason Marceaux : 04-07-2014 at 01:52 PM. Reason: stupid keyboard
Old 04-08-2014, 07:22 AM   #8
Greg Warren

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Marceaux View Post
I could be wrong, but you only need to be an affiliate if your using the CrossFit name... right?
You only need to affiliate if you are saying you are doing "CrossFit training" or if you are using a name with CrossFit included, IE: CrossFit MyGarage. Just because you are doing CF-style workouts in your garage with friends, does not mean that you are required to become an affiliate, even if you are making a profit off of it. Basically, if you are using the "CrossFit" name to market or promote your product in any way, shape or form, you need to affiliate.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:17 AM   #9
Jeff Sprunger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil Mercado View Post
Ouch...Let me get my balls out of my wifes purse for a few...LOL.
I spoke to a lawyer and he said just make sure they sign a waiver which I've recently done. Becoming an affiliate was never my intention, though now seems like a possibility. I'm not doing it for income, I have a great career, but I love crossfit and seeing others improve, and being a part of that improvement..A freind suggested maybe I start a little donation jar, to help re-invest in equipment. Right now I'm just enjoying the journey (as long as no one gets hurt).
ps...I now have 13 people coming
Tip Jar is a great idea! definitely make everyone sign a waiver, friend or not. And, good job man! you must be doing something right.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:21 AM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

To protect yourself and your holdings, I'd set up an LLC and get insurance. Who knows, be protected. It's like using condoms instead of the pull-out hope and pray.

You could keep it simple for now and call it Mercado Fitness and set up some basic social media and website just to make it legit for the LLC and just in case.