CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 04-29-2014, 08:37 PM   #81
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Have we all seen this yet?

OPT pretty much never stopped competing, he just isn't a Games competitor anymore now for a few years.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #82
Chuck Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
I would bet it's still too close to CF by way of Tony Budding for the GJ guys to come in but hot diggity would I love that. Maximus is an animal just as you posted. Because 300 cals on an airdyne isn't hard enough right?
They posted all of the races from this past combine and other than the team aspect, it looks exactly like any CF comp or regional WOD. There will be some wrinkles to keep things interesting but I don't think a team WOD at Regionals and the NFPL will look all that different in the end.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:37 PM   #83
Desmond Pegrum

Profile:

Ive watched quite a few of the trial events from their youtube channel and don't find the format particularly engaging. It's a tad confusing for spectators as to who is doing what
Old 05-05-2014, 12:06 AM   #84
Mario Beltran

Profile:

OPT qualified for Masters btw.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #85
Michael Cook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Pegrum View Post
Ive watched quite a few of the trial events from their youtube channel and don't find the format particularly engaging. It's a tad confusing for spectators as to who is doing what
I thought it was a bit confusing too. Partly due to the fact that the people weren't wearing any kind of uniform, so when the camera switched from one team to another, it was hard to tell which team was which.

Also, I think it would be less confusing if there is only 1 player on the field of play, and if you wanted to substitute, you would have to go back to the start line to tag your substitute.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #86
Kristian Skarsfeldt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Railsback View Post
Have any of the teams disclosed how much they are paying their athletes yet?
I know of a SoCal athlete getting around $2500 pr. race
Old 05-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #87
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

Heard some big number for the big timers.. 6k per event plus expenses. I could see that. If it gets big they could sell 1000's of tickets to each event. Sponsorship, some TV rights.. that money adds up fast.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:07 PM   #88
Chuck Golden

Profile:

Did anyone else hear the Barbell Shrugged podcast yesterday that had Tony Budding? They discussed a ton about the league but the most interesting thing to me was the timing of future seasons, starting in 2015. He said they're in discussions with a network and it'll basically be whatever works best for the network but that currently they're looking at a timeframe that includes August but doesn't start in August. If the NPFL league started any earlier than August, athletes will have to choose between CF and the league. IF the league does do that and IF they're able to maintain the big names they've signed this year, that would decimate the top of Games athletes, especially on the women's side.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:07 PM   #89
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Golden View Post
Did anyone else hear the Barbell Shrugged podcast yesterday that had Tony Budding? They discussed a ton about the league but the most interesting thing to me was the timing of future seasons, starting in 2015. He said they're in discussions with a network and it'll basically be whatever works best for the network but that currently they're looking at a timeframe that includes August but doesn't start in August. If the NPFL league started any earlier than August, athletes will have to choose between CF and the league. IF the league does do that and IF they're able to maintain the big names they've signed this year, that would decimate the top of Games athletes, especially on the women's side.
i don't want to jump the shark or be overly optimistic but after watching some of the races in the combines and seeing the names that they already signed, i can see the NPFL taking away a lot of the top athletes from the Games. i don't see too many athletes choosing the Games over something that brings them good income unless you are Froning and you know that you have a really good shot at the top check.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #90
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Here is the thing about the Games.

If you place top 10, you make some money. From 5k to 275k. Maybe you'll win a bit more money by winning Open events. Regionals doesn't pay much, 2 or 3k I think which is basically expenses plus some spending cash.

Top 3 brings sizeable money home. 275,65,35 while 4th brings 10k which ain't bad. If you're top 10, you might win an event and get some extra cash too.

But compared to a season of NPFL, an athlete stands to make a lot more money they can count on for some weekends.

Something like mid August to before Christmas makes sense. Maybe even in January but not past it.