CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #61
Mario Beltran
Member Mario Beltran is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pforzheim  Germany
Posts: 114
Re: Have we all seen this yet?

this combine looks awesome!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #62
Andrew Bell
Member Andrew Bell is offline
 
Andrew Bell's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston  TX
Posts: 4,021
Re: Have we all seen this yet?

Interesting blog with a LOT of speculation on it
http://breakingmuscle.com/crossfit/t...it-vs-the-npfl (wfs)

Russ, you been pretty active on the forum here lately, any comment from you personally, or from HQ (I know there is a difference even though some don't apparently)?
__________________
| Log (wfs) |
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #63
Christopher Morris
Member Christopher Morris is offline
 
Christopher Morris's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Highlands Ranch  CO
Posts: 1,301
Re: Have we all seen this yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Interesting blog with a LOT of speculation on it
http://breakingmuscle.com/crossfit/t...it-vs-the-npfl (wfs)
I'm not seeing a lot of speculation, as the blog references what has been said or posted online by athletes, Tony Budding, and Russ Greene. What they do speculate is that this means "CrossFit (HQ) does not like the NPFL, at all."

All I read is that they insist that the NPFL not be called "CrossFit." Fair enough. They're protecting their brand. I don't read into that that HQ is trying to see that the NPFL fail. In fact, if people are watching NPFL on TV, it will lead to people seeking out CrossFit gyms and becoming members, and eventually more affiliates.

I also see that the NPFL is not using certain words like "CrossFit," or "fitness testing." They say "human performance," and "races."

The NPFL and CrossFit are brands that are separate legal and business entities. They're drawing their lines in the sand to maintain their independence and separate-ness. That can be confusing when the athletic movements involved are identical in practice.
__________________
Chris
http://www.drchristophermorris.com/ wfs
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #64
Chuck Golden
Member Chuck Golden is offline
 
Chuck Golden's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Fort Worth  TX
Posts: 221
Re: Have we all seen this yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
I'm not seeing a lot of speculation, as the blog references what has been said or posted online by athletes, Tony Budding, and Russ Greene. What they do speculate is that this means "CrossFit (HQ) does not like the NPFL, at all."

All I read is that they insist that the NPFL not be called "CrossFit." Fair enough. They're protecting their brand. I don't read into that that HQ is trying to see that the NPFL fail. In fact, if people are watching NPFL on TV, it will lead to people seeking out CrossFit gyms and becoming members, and eventually more affiliates.

I also see that the NPFL is not using certain words like "CrossFit," or "fitness testing." They say "human performance," and "races."

The NPFL and CrossFit are brands that are separate legal and business entities. They're drawing their lines in the sand to maintain their independence and separate-ness. That can be confusing when the athletic movements involved are identical in practice.
If the word "Crossfit" can not even be mentioned by an athlete in an interview, I'm not sure how someone totally unfamiliar with the sport would watch a match or event and then seek out a CF box.
__________________
Worry leaves when faith arrives My BtWB
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:27 AM   #65
Lance Neumeyer
Member Lance Neumeyer is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Oceanside  CA
Posts: 216
Re: Have we all seen this yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Golden View Post
If the word "Crossfit" can not even be mentioned by an athlete in an interview, I'm not sure how someone totally unfamiliar with the sport would watch a match or event and then seek out a CF box.
I've heard them talk about Crossfit in many different interviews. Everything from how the NPFL is different from the Games, to their training preparing for NPFL.
__________________
42; 5'10 190
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #66
Christopher Morris
Member Christopher Morris is offline
 
Christopher Morris's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Highlands Ranch  CO
Posts: 1,301
Re: Have we all seen this yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Golden View Post
If the word "Crossfit" can not even be mentioned by an athlete in an interview, I'm not sure how someone totally unfamiliar with the sport would watch a match or event and then seek out a CF box.
True. I hadn't thought of that.
__________________
Chris
http://www.drchristophermorris.com/ wfs
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #67
Doug Lantz
Member Doug Lantz is offline
 
Doug Lantz's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fountain Valley  CA
Posts: 216
Re: Have we all seen this yet?

I volunteered at the Los Angeles combine.
l
At the post combine dinner Tony Budding spoke of the league as "minimally viable product" meaning the product is good enough to roll out with the understanding that changes to improve it will follow.

They had signs posted advising athletes that as a brand new sport still in development they welcome athletes input on what they would like to see.

Note also that James Fitzgerald said in a video that much like a left handed reliever in baseball teams could have specialists who see little action but whose contributions are invaluable for the teams success.

So I could certainly envision year round competitors.

I believe the 1st season will run August through October giving competitors an offseason.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:26 PM   #68
Vic McQuaide
Member Vic McQuaide is offline
 
Vic McQuaide's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lakeside  CA
Posts: 1,106
Re: Have we all seen this yet?

Its a great idea.. give more exposure to the sport of x fit. Attracting top names.. money for athletes... I will pay to see it and watch it on live feed.. all good
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:21 PM   #69
Blair Robert Lowe
Member Blair Robert Lowe is offline
 
Blair Robert Lowe's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sacramento  CA
Posts: 7,948
Re: Have we all seen this yet?

Not a bad idea.

Not everybody watches football and baseball in America and if your baseball team is sucking ***, it gets watched less and less by that point.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:24 AM   #70
Auvie Kincer
Member Auvie Kincer is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Round Rock  TX
Posts: 7
Re: Have we all seen this yet?

Just got more interesting with the release of the video of Scott Panchik signing with NY Rhinos.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.