CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #201
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Have we all seen this yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auvie Kincer View Post
Every sports league in the country takes a percentage of an athlete's endorsement deal. Without the league the athlete plays in, they wouldn't get the endorsement.
Got any proof to back that up? I've never heard of LeBron or Kobe paying the NBA a tithe from their Nike contracts.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #202
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auvie Kincer View Post
If you take a look at the rosters for each team, of the 20 or so athletes, maybe 5 of them have multiple sponsors. Those sponsors only provide them with clothing and supplements. None of them pay cash to an athlete to do CrossFit. When the NPGL becomes as large as MLS or NHL, these athletes will be paid cash from sponsors to be in the NPGL. They also get paid to compete as opposed to paying to compete, like CrossFit.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:29 AM   #203
Desmond Pegrum

Profile:

I can't see this being financial viable either

Crossfit probably doesn't make any money from the actual games, but they have the open and all their other revenue streams for income

I just can't see that many members of the general public who will pay to go see these events. Non Crossfitters are just going to feel guilty this.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #204
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Pegrum View Post
I can't see this being financial viable either

Crossfit probably doesn't make any money from the actual games, but they have the open and all their other revenue streams for income

I just can't see that many members of the general public who will pay to go see these events. Non Crossfitters are just going to feel guilty this.
Why does everyone think this? Because Greg Glassman said that crossfit didn't? A corporation like Reebok (previously failing before buying up the crossfit games) isn't going to do something unless it makes them money.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #205
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I was thinking the same thing. Let's look at the revenue streams they've got at their disposal:

1. Thousands of tickets sold at $75+.
2. A cut of concessions and parking, most likely.
3. Sponsors. Every company hanging a banner that's visible to TV or those in attendance is paying dearly for it. And Reebok doesn't get to put their name on the headline for free.
4. Vendor fees. Two years ago it was $2,000 for a 10x10 vendor space at Regionals. So how much do you think they're collecting from LifeAsRx, Rogue, Again Faster, etc. at the Games these days?
5. The Open. $20 times 200,000+ people. You can't separate the Open from the Games, because without the carrot of the Games you wouldn't have anywhere near that kind of participation. And aside from the website, I can't think of any significant expenses involved in hosting the Open.
6. Broadcast revenues from ESPN.

And most of those revenue streams also apply to the Regionals.

I'm not saying there aren't significant expenses involved in holding the Games, but if they're still losing money given all those factors above then I'd be a little curious about where it's all going.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #206
Christopher Morris

Profile:

While not directly related to the Games, CrossFit HQ also collects annual affiliate fees of 2,000 - 3,000 per year from 10,000 affiliates.

The Open takes in about $4 million (some regions charge $10 entry fee instead of $20), besides all the other things Eric mentioned.

Purse money paid out was $1.75 million. HQ does not lose money on the Games. I wonder how much it costs for the venues?

The way Castro talked about it during the awards ceremony made it sound like Reebok and Rogue pays some of the cost of equipping the Games. He said without them we'd be doing burpees and double-unders, and that the equipment complexity of the Games has improved thanks to the sponsors.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:40 AM   #207
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Heard that the games cost 15 mil and they take in 10 mil.. but I am sure that number will change the more coverage it gets with ESPN and others.

Anyone going to see the Grid this month?
Old 08-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #208
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor J McQuaide View Post
Heard that the games cost 15 mil and they take in 10 mil.
From where?

As if that's anything HQ would divulge...
Old 08-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #209
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
Why does everyone think this? Because Greg Glassman said that crossfit didn't? A corporation like Reebok (previously failing before buying up the crossfit games) isn't going to do something unless it makes them money.
How was Reebok failing? Its owned by Adidas, which is a huge sports equipment manufacturer.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #210
David Alexander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
How was Reebok failing? Its owned by Adidas, which is a huge sports equipment manufacturer.
Just because it's owned by Adidas doesn't mean the reebok brand itself is doing well. Especially after they lost their contact with the nfl. Seriously I've never bought a pair of reebok shoes until crossfit told me to.