CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 06-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #121
Desmond Pegrum

Profile:
Re: Have we all seen this yet?

They need the softer plyo boxes and plenty of floor cushioning for those box jumps but yeah they are an injury waiting to happen

But i hope they don't can box jumps, one of my fav exercises
Old 06-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #122
Desmond Pegrum

Profile:

Can this thread be renamed to something like

"The One and Only NPFL thread"
Old 06-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #123
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I think one of the reasons they started putting the 1/2 turn into burpees and box jumps was to get rid of the judging standard of vertical line in the burpee jump and that 1/2 turn means in theory they would jump down, stop, turn around and jump.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:30 PM   #124
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Pegrum View Post
They need the softer plyo boxes and plenty of floor cushioning for those box jumps but yeah they are an injury waiting to happen

But i hope they don't can box jumps, one of my fav exercises
neither the softer box or better cushioning will help prevent an Achilles injury. as long as people will continue to do rebounding jumps, this will continue to happen since its a matter of mechanics. there are a few things in CF that people need to ask themselves if its worth doing. things like rebounding box jumps, butterfly pullups etc.. all can cut your WOD times but at a cost of increased risk.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:45 PM   #125
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Luten View Post
I think the NPFL offers more marketability. Right now the value of an athlete is tied to how they perform where they get the most exposure, i.e. the Games. If they don't make the games for a couple years in a row, you bet your butt their sponsorship is in jeopardy.

Compare that to being on a team that's going to get national exposure 6-10 times a year, and the investor gets a much bigger return for their investment.
unless you read the athlete contract and see that the league, not just the team, takes a big chunk of sponsorship money from the athlete - just for sake of the athlete signing on with with the league. no other visible reason. no promise of the league promoting the athlete.

strangest thing I've read in a contract, and I've read A LOT of contracts.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:31 AM   #126
Desmond Pegrum

Profile:

Having had another look at Jaime's injury, i think it is going to be tough for athletes to get through a season uninjuried

The whole thing about this league is to push people to the limit. Spectators aren't going to want to watch "moderately hard" events and physical feats. They have to be at the limit type events and physical feats

This is going to make injuries a real issue.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:40 AM   #127
Michael Cook

Profile:

Instead of box jumps or box jump overs they could do a box jump shuttle run. Jump on and off the box, then run to and touch the line of the quadrant. It looks like that is only a few steps, the run and touch the line would keep that movement fast paced and it would make it so that athletes could not do the rebounding action.

I would also like the NPFL to have a Competition Committee with an athlete representative on it, so that athletes have some say in what is included in the competition.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:53 PM   #128
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

One of my old coaches in cycling said beware of death or depth jumps to only do 5 for a max.. crossfit we do 100's of them.

Professional athletes get hurt all of the time... so we better get used to it. I think that the NPFL when it gets big will be in Vegas betting line.. injury reports will be mandatory.

Lets get a fantasy NPFL going.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:46 AM   #129
Desmond Pegrum

Profile:

Another thing i would like to see is for some events to be one male v one male or one female v one female

Not every event needs to be full team v full team

a cool change up with one male v one male is the opposition team nominate the male representative from the other team BEFORE the workout is announced
Old 06-30-2014, 06:41 AM   #130
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Pegrum View Post
Another thing i would like to see is for some events to be one male v one male or one female v one female

Not every event needs to be full team v full team

a cool change up with one male v one male is the opposition team nominate the male representative from the other team BEFORE the workout is announced
I agree. I think in time as they adopt and move the concept forward it will evolve and include some of this. At least I hope so.