CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 06-19-2014, 02:17 AM   #111
Desmond Pegrum

Profile:
Re: Have we all seen this yet?

Two more full test events posted on their youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/npfl2014/videos
Old 06-19-2014, 11:25 AM   #112
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

One of my old coaching partners (Amanda S) and her team won the NFPL in Vegas this week. Pretty excited to see her make Games + this.

Wonder how it will go down with top athletes doing both... All the training + competitions. Bodies will be tested and hopefully all will be able to cope with the demands of constant abuse
Old 06-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #113
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

I watched both video streaming events. They did a great job. The events are so fast and almost too fast. Would be cool to have some feats of strength individually also. Like a Sam Dancer vs. Danny N (even though they are on the same team)- 225# PC for 20 reps.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:05 PM   #114
Christopher Morris

Profile:

This is fun to watch. Definitely a different flavor than CrossFit Regionals or Games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Squires View Post
As a side note...that didn't take long for the NPFLs first Achilles tear. Hope for a speedy recovery for Jamie.
Jamie was the only one doing instant spring rebounding jumps. Everyone else seemed to be doing a hop reset like hop-jump, hop-jump...
Old 06-20-2014, 12:50 AM   #115
Markus Berger

Profile:

I thought those exhibition matches were produced quite professionally. Enough cameras, decent commentary.
Nevertheless I was bored watching the match. It was all about cycling the reps as fast as possible and fast substitutions. Small athletes with tiny range of motions have an huge advantage, as they do 2 reps, while a normal sized person will complete 1 rep.
Athletes didnt need endurance and there was no need for pacing. It was always an allout-effort, because you could be substituted anytime.
I would bring in events, where only 1 (or 2) athlete will be nominated by the coach to contest for the team. Anyone remember the Rogue vs. Again Faster competition? I found this kind of format much more entertaining then the NPFL concept.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:47 AM   #116
Jeff Railsback

Profile:

I don't like how 0 points are awarded if a team doesn't finish under the time cap. If one team is 1 rep away from finishing and the other team is 50 reps behind, neither team gets a point even though 1 team did more work.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:31 AM   #117
Michael Cook

Profile:

I didn't like the 0 points for both teams for not finishing under the time cap. I think it should be 1 point for the win and a bonus if you finish under the time cap. So it could be 2-0 if one team finishes under the time cap and the other team does not, 2-1 if both teams finish under the time cap or 1-0 if both teams do not finish under the time cap.

I was suprised that not many of the athletes have figured out how to do the backward roll on rings. That really stopped them.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #118
Christopher Morris

Profile:

I like the format for the deadlift ladder. A point for every pound lifted, so athletes start light and work their way up accumulating points.

If this were an individual athlete event, there would be greater risk for injury as they push themselves to higher weights. With a team and a coach calling the shots on the spot, he can tell an athlete to stop at the earliest sign that they're stalling out. That's one safeguard to this format.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #119
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
I was suprised that not many of the athletes have figured out how to do the backward roll on rings.
It's not an easy skill to begin with and it's easy to get lost while going through the inverted part.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #120
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I watched about an hour last night straight. Been meaning to watch the rest. Personally, I liked it.

Noticed Eleiko was a sponsor and there was about 157 videos on the NPFL youtube page. They are definitely making content but a lot of the videos don't seem to have much more than 8k hits.

I think one of things as well with the box jumps is doing the 1/2 turn on the landing. That makes some odd torque on the ankle and knee.