CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Aaron Chesser

Profile:
Question Shoulder surgery...just another obstacle

So a week from today is my shoulder surgery to repair my labrum and a bunch of other crap going on with it. Before anyone chimes in, yes I've done PT, a few times. I've done injections, nothing has helped and the pain is now affecting my every day life, not just CF. I haven't done a kipping pullup in months. I have stayed away from any heavy OHS and snatches. And don't even joke about MU's. I don't ever see me doing those again.

Instead of whining about what I could have done to help prevent this injury I'm reaching out to my CF community for some advice or recommendations rather. I plan on being in the box post surgery. I figure i can do everything that is lower body focused and things i can do with one arm (one arm pullups with a band if needed, snatches, etc). Here is my question. Anyone have any experience with this? What programming did you follow? WOD suggestions? I don't want to spend the next several weeks, months on a stationary bike. Also, if you had surgery a long time ago, how was getting back to CF full steam? How is your performance now versus pre-surgery?

Thank you everyone for you reading this and any input you may have.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Shoulder surgery...just another obstacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Chesser View Post
So a week from today is my shoulder surgery to repair my labrum and a bunch of other crap going on with it. Before anyone chimes in, yes I've done PT, a few times. I've done injections, nothing has helped and the pain is now affecting my every day life, not just CF. I haven't done a kipping pullup in months. I have stayed away from any heavy OHS and snatches. And don't even joke about MU's. I don't ever see me doing those again.

Instead of whining about what I could have done to help prevent this injury I'm reaching out to my CF community for some advice or recommendations rather. I plan on being in the box post surgery. I figure i can do everything that is lower body focused and things i can do with one arm (one arm pullups with a band if needed, snatches, etc). Here is my question. Anyone have any experience with this? What programming did you follow? WOD suggestions? I don't want to spend the next several weeks, months on a stationary bike. Also, if you had surgery a long time ago, how was getting back to CF full steam? How is your performance now versus pre-surgery?

Thank you everyone for you reading this and any input you may have.
My by far # 1 suggestion is to find a PT/Chiro, or athletic trainer that works with people post surgery. 99.99% of trainers(CF included) will not have the background to properly help you. The fact that they worked with "a guy with shoulder surgery before" is little reason for you to go to them for help. I'm not saying don't continue with CF, but you also was supervised work and rehab too.

Single are stuff is great, any of it. If non painful; KBS, deadlifts, and ring rows should be at the top of a shoulder rehab list. Ditto for push ups. Done correctly, these exercises can be therapeutic post surgery.

Good luck!
Old 11-23-2013, 02:06 AM   #3
Steven Wingo

Profile:
Re: Shoulder surgery...just another obstacle

You need to be really careful after your surgery. I had a SLAP repair with subacromial decompression 8 days ago and am sitting here on the internet before 4:00 a.m. because I had a bad night last night and could not sleep. The doc transitioned me from a "pillow sling" with my arm about 4 inches away from my body to a regular sling yesterday and my pain level went up a little. I also have prior experience with a SLAP repair, having my other shoulder done 10 years ago.

Shoulder surgery, SLAP repairs in particular, are painful and difficult. Recovery is lengthy. You need to trim your expectations. And Brian is giving you good advice in regard to working with a PT or chiropractor on what you can and can't do. They PT or chiropractor would also get much of their info from the surgeon--many surgeons even post their physical therapy protocols on their websites--mine does.

My suggestion is to lay off one handed upper body stuff at the box. Just do your rehab for upper body. When you go to the box, do lower body work and some cardio work only.

For the first 3 weeks, this is all I am allowed to do:

stationary bike
walk on treadmill
air squats
lunges

I am not able to do squats with a barbell, can't run, and can't do anything upper body. A barbell for squats and running is probably at least 4 weeks out. I talked with my doc about these things yesterday and this is the list he gave me. I CrossFit with him by the way and he is a friend of mine. He is not being overly conservative. He said it will be a minimum of 4 months before I'm hanging from a pull-up bar. In terms of lighter stuff like ring rows, they may come earlier but that will be dictated by the physical therapist with supervision from the doc.

Good luck. It sounds like you really need surgery--when you can't sleep and it interferes with your life as a whole it is time to get it fixed. Just be smart and be patient.

P.S. I was back at the box Thursday and Friday coaching and learned my doc has talked to our box owner, head coach, other coaches, and mutual friends to serve as "spies" and make sure I don't try to overdo it and violate my restrictions. He knows I will want to push it. With some injuries you can get away with it. But not with a big surgery like a labrum repair.

Last edited by Steven Wingo : 11-23-2013 at 02:10 AM.