CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-20-2005, 09:23 AM   #1
Geoff Pitluck

Profile:  
Hello Everyone, Truly the best fitness/workout system I have ever seen. I could cry in my beer over not finding the likes of this 40+ years ago, but I prefer to be ecstatic that I finally found something that makes total sense. Thank You for being here. I have tons of questions, but I will keep this post brief. 1)I can't get my computer to play the slides, though the videos work fine. 2)When mounting a pullup bar on a wall, how much clearance does one need for swinging into a kip? Or is it probably worth it to get a freestanding unit (TAPS, etc)? 3)Anyone tried using, or have any thoughts on a Fluid Motion rower? (vs the C2)? 4)Any reason not to use db's instead of bar for DeadLifts? Any and all comments appreciated. I feel like a 52 yo kindergartener after reading what the avg CF'er does every day. But I know a fantastic thing when I see it, and I WILL get up to speed, if it takes another 52 yrs. gp
Old 04-20-2005, 10:17 AM   #2
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Hi Geoff, welcome aboard.
1) Can't help ya with that one. Maybe Lynne Pitts can help you with that (if she isn't busy burying Brian Hand).
2) If you mount your bar to a wall, say about 2-3 ft from it, you can face away from the wall and clearance for the kip won't be an issue. Most of the kipping motion extends towards the direction you are facing.
3) Can't help there either. I don't have a rower, so I run or bike. When I do get a rower, it will be the C2, because of the features. I hear you can even hook it up to your PC and compete online with it.
4) Usually the deadlifts are 1-1.5x Body weight. I weigh 180. That works out to 135lb dumbells and I haven't seen any of them.
5) Oops, there is no 5).
Anyway, you can learn a lot here. Best I've found.
And Check out Lynne Pitts FAQ page. You'll have many more questions as you go, and most of the answers are there.
Good luck!

Old 04-20-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
David Easton

Profile:
Welcome Geoff.

Any questions that aren't answered here you can always use the search feature on the boards to find what you are looking for.

Old 04-20-2005, 12:03 PM   #4
Michael Nobori

Profile:
Welcome Geoff,

I am on a Mac and I found that when I use Explorer I have troube viewing the slides, but if I use Safari -- no problem. Maybe try using a different browser.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:03 PM   #5
Geoff Pitluck

Profile:  
Thanks Don, Your advice on a wallmount helps and the FAQ page is awesome. Thanks for the vote of confidence, but it will be a while before I am DL-ing 1.5x my bw! David, good idea trying Search. There is definitely a lot of info there! Kinda like the last scene in that Indy Jones movie where the guy is wheeling the Arc of the Covenant down that long aisle.. Thanks, Michael. Interesting idea. I look forward to being helpful to other members when the opportunity arises. Whole lotta generous (and extremely knowledgeable)folks on this site. gp
Old 04-20-2005, 06:15 PM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

Geoff:

The C2 is sort of the gold standard in rowers. I've used water rowers before and they can be very sweet and smooth (assuming they're well built), and you can certainly get an excellent workout on one. But the chief advantage of the C2 is that it IS very well made, almost bombproof, and genuinely deserves its position as the gold standard.

Also, because it is so widely used, you can compare times with literally thousands of people worldwide, and know there's a comparable basis for your boasting, (or your misery when an 87-year-old toothless guy beats you in the 1000-meter by 3 seconds).
Old 04-23-2005, 01:00 PM   #7
Geoff Pitluck

Profile:  
David, Thanks for your recomendation. Yes I think the C2 is the one I'll get.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:55 PM   #8
Brian Gibson

Profile:
Geoff,

1) As far as the slide shows go, you probably need to have the Java runtime environment installed on your system. Go to http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp and click on the 3rd link down in the middle of the page called "Download JRE 5.0 Update 2" and follow the directions from there.

Welcome to the board!