CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:
Is it possible for Crossfit to make it to Rio in 2016?

With Crossfit growing so fast is it possible for CF to make the Olympics in Rio?
Old 02-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Is it possible for Crossfit to make it to Rio in 2016?

No, for a multitude of reasons. Off the top of my head....

1. They've already decided the trial sports for 2016.
2. There's no international governing body on par with FIBA or FIFA, and no internationally-recognized officials or rules. Rules and judging standards change at every competitions, it seems like.
3. There's no year-round drug testing on par with WADA or IOC standards.
4. Random, revealed-at-the-last-minute workouts don't match up with how ANY other Olympic sport is conducted.

I'm sure there are more, but that's enough for now.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
Milton Brisson

Profile:

I would guess that they probably have all of the events lined up for the next Olympics already, so no on that account.

Overall, Crossfit is a brand, not a sport, so you wont see anything called "Crossfit" in the Olympics ever. "The Sport of Fitness" (which I think is copyrighted by CF) would likely not make it either. There is no standardized competition protocol (unknown and unknowable and all...), there is no world-wide governing body and not enough history as a "sport" to be in the Olympics.

Thats just my opinion, though. Take it for what its worth.

In another sense though, you will see people cleaning and jerking, snatching, running, throwing objects for distance and accuracy, jumping, doing muscle-ups and everything else you see in your local box (sumo high-pulls excluded...). So, CF movements will be done in Rio, by the best of the best at them!

The decathlon is a great measure for the types of thing CF tests, strength, speed, skill, endurance etc.......

Edit: Eric - you are quite the ninja poster!
Old 02-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
John Holcombe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
No, for a multitude of reasons. Off the top of my head....

1. They've already decided the trial sports for 2016.
2. There's no international governing body on par with FIBA or FIFA, and no internationally-recognized officials or rules. Rules and judging standards change at every competitions, it seems like.
3. There's no year-round drug testing on par with WADA or IOC standards.
4. Random, revealed-at-the-last-minute workouts don't match up with how ANY other Olympic sport is conducted.

I'm sure there are more, but that's enough for now.
Speaking of drug testing, how thorough is the testing they do for games athletes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Brisson View Post
I would guess that they probably have all of the events lined up for the next Olympics already, so no on that account.

Overall, Crossfit is a brand, not a sport, so you wont see anything called "Crossfit" in the Olympics ever. "The Sport of Fitness" (which I think is copyrighted by CF) would likely not make it either. There is no standardized competition protocol (unknown and unknowable and all...), there is no world-wide governing body and not enough history as a "sport" to be in the Olympics.

Thats just my opinion, though. Take it for what its worth.

In another sense though, you will see people cleaning and jerking, snatching, running, throwing objects for distance and accuracy, jumping, doing muscle-ups and everything else you see in your local box (sumo high-pulls excluded...). So, CF movements will be done in Rio, by the best of the best at them!

The decathlon is a great measure for the types of thing CF tests, strength, speed, skill, endurance etc.......

Edit: Eric - you are quite the ninja poster!
Basically the olympics are for crowning the best at very specific events. The whole point of crossfit is being good at everything, not the best at a specific thing.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holcombe View Post
Speaking of drug testing, how thorough is the testing they do for games athletes?
Every individual and team at the regionals and Games is tested, but as far as I know the only positive tests have been for stimulants that give a negligible (at best) advantage. It's naive to think that there have been zero people using anything stronger than that given that $250K is on the line. And I don't think there's any program in place to test people outside the Games season.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Some good replays.. yes many dopers have passed test many times.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
John Holcombe

Profile:

Quote:
Every individual and team at the regionals and Games is tested, but as far as I know the only positive tests have been for stimulants that give a negligible (at best) advantage. It's naive to think that there have been zero people using anything stronger than that given that $250K is on the line. And I don't think there's any program in place to test people outside the Games season.
agreed
Old 02-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #8
Charles Golden

Profile:

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see if CF eventually goes in this direction. I've always heard most people who do you use PEDs, use them for training purposes and then cycle off during actual competition. Plus, most of the popular PEDs now are only detectable by a blood test correct?

If people really want to cheat, a urine test only at Regionals/Games isn't going to deter them.
Grace - 1:58 Fran - 3:55 CFT - 985