CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
Mike M. Jones

Profile:
Rogue selling a "semi" portable 15+ person affiliate!

I was browsing the Rogue site and came across a "semi portable" affiliate in a box! has anyone seen one of these in action? and has rogue ever sold one of these? for 50K a pop I can only guess it's for a select few... but one can always dream.

(wfs) http://www.roguefitness.com/reebok-drop-box.php
Old 01-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Bret Young

Profile:
Re: Rogue selling a "semi" portable 15+ person affiliate!

That is awesome. A real cool alternative to your normal affiliate box. Who says you need a facility? I almost feel that this could be more fun especially if you are in a cool location.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Santa?
Old 01-30-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
Patrick Weaver

Profile:

I saw one of these at an Academy Sports over the summer. Someone was paying the guys from Reebok headquarters to go around and spread crossfit cheer. I thought it was pretty sweet when I drove up and saw the Rogue Rig set up in the parking lot then I saw the giant red shipping crate with Reebok Crossfit on the side.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

What would a person do with that? If it was as an affiliate startup I would think it conflicts with some structure/business/insurance laws or rules. Just throwing it out there.

I would think it might be cool for expos and temporary displays/demos though.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
Bret Young

Profile:

I'm sure there might be some hoops to jump through to make it operate as a business, but I remember hearing from my father years ago (when Crossfit just started) about him reading on the Crossfit Journal or some other Crossfit website about a guy that ran a box out of what was essentially a storage room. They stored all the gear in there, but all workouts were outside.

I visited a Crossfit affiliate when vacationing in Hawaii last year and their gym was the same way. It was essentially a shipping container with a sliding door installed into the side. They stored all their gear inside of it, and that took up about all the space. When it came time to start the day, they just pulled everything out of the unit and all workouts were done in the outside surrounding area.

So what would stop you from doing something like that? How would it be any different than all of those people doing Bootcamps in public parks and stuff?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
Bret Young

Profile:

I think it would be a really rad way to do something outside of a normal "box".

I know those boxes arent really mobile, but imagine if you had that thing sitting on a trailer. You could roll up in some open place, have part of the warm up be unloading all the gear. Do your WOD, and after the workouts done, pack it back up and your on your way.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
Greg Light

Profile:

It would be awesome if the sides all folded down and there was a way to level them so that each side could be 2 oly platforms!
Old 01-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #9
Mike M. Jones

Profile:

I think there was a affiliate in San Francisco that essentially ran it's box out of a container and a parking lot for a long while until they moved into a "traditional" warehouse space. So I suppose there is a precedent that the "container" affiliate model can work.

Thinking about it this could be like the new kinda lunch truck that rolls up to office parks etc. every day, just pull up, bang out a chipper and be back in the office before your coffee is cold. Helluva lot better than the tacos or burgers or what ever those lunch trucks serve up!
Old 01-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #10
Bret Young

Profile:

Anybody have any info on affiliates that have done stuff similar to what Mike said above? Would love to read some more information on how successful something like that could be.