CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Whitlock Baker

Profile:
Constant or Varied Warmup?

Hey guys. First time poster but I have been creeping for awhile. I was curious about warm ups done at different boxes. I recently just moved to a new crossfit box in a new town. Where I was going before we had a, more or less, different warm up everyday that seemed to be focused around what we were doing that day. The new place that I just started at we have the same warm up everyday. I preferred having a different warm up everyday. Kept things interesting. Curious as to what everyone else is doing?
Old 07-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Bob Weber

Profile:
Re: Constant or Varied Warmup?

At the box I go to, the warm-ups are based on the WOD. Sure, some things are pretty regular, a little cardio to get the heart pumping, and basic arm stretches, but we don't do the same thing every day.

Start stretching on your own before the class, concentrating on the muscles you'll be using, so at least you're more prepared. If there's a real disconnect between the muscles used in the WOD and the stretches, I'd suggest to the coach that you didn't feel properly stretched.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Jo Hsu

Profile:

I have some stretches that I do regularly just because I'm familiar with my body's own quirks-- for example, I have really tight hips and hamstrings. But otherwise, I prefer a warm-up tuned to the demands of the exercise... something that opens up the hips before squatting, shoulder mobility before push-presses, etc...
Old 07-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

Depending on WOD: stationary bike 10 minutes joint rotations then 1 or 2 rounds of the Crossfit warm up, 3 minutes light work on the heavy bag, and if the WOD includes weight/ power lifting, practice the lifts with the bar or light weight
Old 07-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
David Vessey

Profile:

I think all the boxes I've been to are different warm ups tuned to the WOD, but I do the WOD on my own the majority of the time for the past ~5 years and the majority of the time I stick to the "CF Warmup", with slight tweaks depending on the WOD (ie/ not as many pull ups if it's a pull up heavy WOD, burgener warmup if it's an O-lifting day).

For me, it's part of the reason I like crossfit - I don't like picking/planning my own workouts because I don't really trust myself to be as varied as I should be
Old 07-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
David A Hunt

Profile:

Ideally, your warmup would increase your heart rate and blood flow, lubricate your joints, prime your central nervous system and focus on activating the muscle groups through a flexible range of motion that you will be using primarily in your WOD. That is why I prefer varied warm ups.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
Charles Golden

Profile:

At my box the warmups are the same almost every time. One of our coaches does the exact same warmup every single time, never fails. Our other coach will slightly tailor the warmup to the WOD but the variations are pretty small.
Grace - 1:58 Fran - 3:55 CFT - 985
Old 07-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
John Powell

Profile:

We do a series of regular movements to start (cat/camel and a nerve floss for the upper body that I found on mwod, and goblet squats, hip airplanes) and then our trainers will improvise based on the WOD.

IMO this needs to be done. I've heard too many horror stories of torn achilles/calfs from prowler pushes or shoulder injuries from higher volume pullups (the list goes on) so I find it important not only to work these things in a warmup but also to make the athletes aware of why we are doing them
Old 07-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

You can do either really.

A constant warmup should warm you up for everything. Many professional athletes will prefer the same warmup every training session to almost getting OCD about it. This can include a warmup row or jog or cycle, BW or Bar exercises and mobility exercises.

You can have a varied Warmup tailored to the WOD. This is efficient from a Coaching perspective of getting people prepared for the WOD. Some people also dislike the monotony of the same warmup so they will appreciate a varied warmup.

Or you could just do the MobilityWOD. It can address one modality of mobility per day roughly or you can do the lower/upper series, etc.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
A constant warmup should warm you up for everything. Many professional athletes will prefer the same warmup every training session to almost getting OCD about it. This can include a warmup row or jog or cycle, BW or Bar exercises and mobility exercises.

You can have a varied Warmup tailored to the WOD. This is efficient from a Coaching perspective of getting people prepared for the WOD. Some people also dislike the monotony of the same warmup so they will appreciate a varied warmup.
Note that most professional athletes have a much narrower range of workouts than Crossfit WODs, however, and so using the same warmup every time may make more sense.

Katherine