CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-25-2012, 03:15 AM   #1
Tyler Key

Profile:
Confused.

Hey. Not sure where to start. So I shall just give you vitals straight up..
Height: 5'8
Weight: 88kg
Bodyfat: no clue...maybe like 20%?
Squat: 310lb DL: 417lb Press: 143lb Deadhang: 8
anything else you would like to know...just ask.

So I'm 16. I play rugby in Australia. I plan to get as high as I can in rugby and will do whatever it takes to get there. Part of rugby is obviously being powerful, strong, fast and agile. I play in the front row.

Due to my rugby, I also have a shoulder injury. It was a near posterior dislocation.

I have been following CFFB on and off for quite awhile, remember it is very on and off over about 6 months...I'm not sure if I have gone past linear progression gains or not. I cannot however do the CFFB wods anymore as I am not at a crossfit gym anymore. I was going to base my cardio with rugby training and a few other runs.

My main goal is to gain as much strength, muscle mass, but also raise my cardio endurance and speed by next Febuary I know it is hard to do both, but it can be done.
I want to be a very mobile front rower, the mobility of a back rower to a degree, to be very dangerous and competitive in the breakdown.

Also of course, I want to lower my body fat and look ripped haha. I know that part is mainly diet which I am currently sorting out.

Should I still be following CFFB amateur, or another lifting program? I know i need to squat 2x a week, deadlift once, press once, bench once(builds contact area for rugby), focus on core through out... but yeah...

Due to my shoulder I need to be doing further assistance exercises for that, what would they be? Just to develop all round shoulder strength and muscular endurance. Also any other assistance that will help other things progress is welcome.

My other main problem is, I think, is my pullups. I want to get them higher, 15 is a goal. Just not sure how to get there? I greased the groove to 8 from 0 pullups in one month last year. Not sure how to train them now.

What should I be doing for my cardio? As i cannot do crossfit based workouts other than bodyweight not in a gym

So yeah? What should I be doing ?

If this is in the wrong forum sorry in advance, please move.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
Dylan Forbes

Profile:
Re: Confused.

If being the meanest SOB on the field is your #1 priority then you need to act like it.

Firstly whats the nature of the shoulder injury? Have you had a physio look at it? Is it must a mobility problem?

If you're in your offseason (i'm guessing not since it's winter here) follow CFFB to the letter, thats exactly what it's designed for. If you're inseason listen to your coach's guidance.

Forget about bodyfat / ripped for now. Go after your #1 goal, everything else is irrelevant. Watch the game - count how many guys on the field look like they're out of shape. None.

Why the heck can't you do 'cardio' workouts? You want to be a beast but can't join a decent gym? Or can't hoodwink dad into setting up some stuff at home?

Follow the program mate. Strength, size, agility, speed, bodyfat, number of pullups, etc etc will all come to you. Also, use the food recommendations on the CFFB Blog (Talk to me Johnnie) and stick to the amature program and you'll be rocking people's worlds.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

The nice thing about CFFB is that you don't need a CF gym to do it. It can be done at almost any globo.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

do the lifting you can do. lift hard and heavy 2 to 4 days a week. do lots of sprint work. sled work is great if you have a sled. if not, attatch a rope to something heavy and sprint while pulling it. almost all your conditioning work should be sprints and sleds. occassional intervals are ok of 800m or less. include some explosive jump work (don't overdo it). agility work like dot drills, cone drills, ladder drills, etc are great for ankle strength / stability and increase lateral movement and quickness of feet, in addition to being great for the nervous system. they can be done as warmups or part of workouts. eat lots of good quality food. following the CFFB nutrition suggestions would be a good place to start. make sure you rest 2 or 3 days a week.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Tyler Key

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Forbes View Post
If being the meanest SOB on the field is your #1 priority then you need to act like it.

Firstly whats the nature of the shoulder injury? Have you had a physio look at it? Is it must a mobility problem?

If you're in your offseason (i'm guessing not since it's winter here) follow CFFB to the letter, thats exactly what it's designed for. If you're inseason listen to your coach's guidance.

Forget about bodyfat / ripped for now. Go after your #1 goal, everything else is irrelevant. Watch the game - count how many guys on the field look like they're out of shape. None.

Why the heck can't you do 'cardio' workouts? You want to be a beast but can't join a decent gym? Or can't hoodwink dad into setting up some stuff at home?

Follow the program mate. Strength, size, agility, speed, bodyfat, number of pullups, etc etc will all come to you. Also, use the food recommendations on the CFFB Blog (Talk to me Johnnie) and stick to the amature program and you'll be rocking people's worlds.
Oh I can do cardio workouts of course, just not metcons that require any weights being dropped, rings or objects such as a slege. My parents live overseas and my nan and uncle won't help me to any degree to get a weights set at home, we also have no were to put it as our garage is filled with ****.

The shoulder injury was strain in the muscles in the area of my teres major/minor. Imagine it trying to posteriorly dislocate, but going to full way and straining/tearing some stuff. I couldn't do a pushup to save my life, the muscles were that weak. I also had no internal rotation. It seems fine now.. but as you can see my Press is still pretty low, and I haven't tried bench-pressing since. So looking for assistance exercises to help create better stabilisation in my shoulder.

Not in off season, but finished all my rep, so looking to get a headstart for next rep season. NSW all schools championships was last weekend and I played for NSWCCC. I see if I get selected in the NSW all schools team that goes to nationals in two weeks.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
Ben Norris

Profile:

For the shoulder I would assume lots of Rows, Back Flies for the rear delts, External rotation work, scaption raises and shoulder stabilisation work such as benching with a PVC pipe with KB hanging off bands or holding the KB upsidedown and doing Overhead presses
Old 06-26-2012, 04:13 AM   #7
Struan Potter

Profile:

Are you a hooker or a prop? If hooker you will need to put on 10-15kg of LBM. If prop, 20-25kg of LBM. U18 international front rowers all weigh over 100kg, with the props over 110kg.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:59 AM   #8
Tyler Key

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
For the shoulder I would assume lots of Rows, Back Flies for the rear delts, External rotation work, scaption raises and shoulder stabilisation work such as benching with a PVC pipe with KB hanging off bands or holding the KB upsidedown and doing Overhead presses
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan Potter View Post
Are you a hooker or a prop? If hooker you will need to put on 10-15kg of LBM. If prop, 20-25kg of LBM. U18 international front rowers all weigh over 100kg, with the props over 110kg.
Hooker, that should be easy as I have two years or so .