CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
Ben Wanagat

Profile:
New to CF - Birmingham, AL

Hello all, this is my first Post to the Forum. I have found so much great information here you all are great! I want to begin CF training, but I am unsure as to exactly where to start.
My info is 5'4", 167 lbs. I currently am only doing cardio about 3 times a week, my 5K time is a whooping 37 minutes and have been eating Paleo for about 9 months. I also frequently rock climb, mountain bike and swim with my kids. I am semi-familair with weight training exercises. My goal is to be able to wash my clothes on my abbs , actually just to be able to keep up with my kids and to keep them active, and to appreciate what I see in the mirror.
I have found that I'm best when following a routine where I can measure my progress and then once I've reached a certain level moving on to the next level up of work out routines. Unfortunately creating random workouts on my own doesnt suit me and I always feel did I do exercises to work the appropriate muscle groups and did I do enough. My motivation comes from my daughter laying her head on my stomach and then preceding to tell me that my belly was "squishy".
So I guess what I am asking is where can I find routines to follow from beginner to intermediate to advanced.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
Mike.Phillips

Profile:
Re: New to CF - Birmingham, AL

Are there any Crossfit Gyms aka "Box" near where you live?

I would walk in, sign up, and just keep showing up!
Old 06-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Ben Wanagat

Profile:

Mike:
There probably are boxes in Bham, AL, but I already belong to a local Y. I beleive I have found a good start up after doing a scaled Cindy benchmark. Let me know what you think of beginner workout, this is open to anyone's opinion.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CF Beginner workout.pdf (190.8 KB, 125 views)
Old 06-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
Joe C Thomas

Profile:

Hey bro, welcome! That looks pretty good. I love Bodyweight stuff (that's the Soldier in me coming out!) but most beginners (IMO) are not ready for sustained 3 on 1 off. Maybe just do 1 on 1 off until your body gets into it. Also, a mistake most people make, me included, is they come out of the gate wide open. Take it easy and work into a rhythm. It's a pretty big blow to the ego if you can't complete a workout. Better to scale.

Good luck.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
Ben Wanagat

Profile:

Joe:
I agree with what you're saying about coming into something full throttle. For the CINDY bench mark I scaled way back to 12 min and 1 Pull up, 4 Push ups and 7 squats. Cranked outa mighty 16 revolutions. Thought I would be hurting today from Cindy yesterday, but only moderate discomfort.