CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-21-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
Evan Peikon

Profile:
USAW Sports Performance Coaching Cert

Has anyone attended the USAW sports performance coaching certification? If you can you give a review of how it was/ if it was worth it. Also i looked at the outline and the second day is all hands doing the lifts etc. Is the first day hands on at all though, it says demo and lecture. But, its an 8 hour day so i was kind of hoping that its not sitting all day etc.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Michael R. Miller

Profile:
Re: USAW Sports Performance Coaching Cert

Depends on the coach, if its not a name you have heard of in the Olympic lifting world then its not worth it. Mine was with Glenn Pendlay and I in 2 days I learned a lot but also its not a structured teaching its pretty much up to the host of the cert. So if its not a good name like that teaching it then don't waste your money.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
Evan Peikon

Profile:

To be honest the only USA coaches names I know are Greg Everett and Glenn pendlay. So, I'm not sure if the person is good ( don't remember it off the top of my head but illcheck later and post it here to see if anyone recognizes it).
But I do have to say that just because they aren't big name doesn't mean much. They can still be very good.
I also read that they scraped the old course and made this one structures and go over the squat versions of the lifts too. So I was more or less wondering if anyone's attended this newer version
Old 05-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

It does matter actually but its your money. And yes the one I attended was the newer one and depending on the coach you may or may not be sitting the first day, how they teach the course is up to the coach they do not have to follow any structure just as long as they teach you the lifts.

If you go to Glenns forum and look there is a list of coaches that people recommend you take the cert with. I have heard all of these names because they are all good names in the O lifting community.

http://www.pendlayforum.com/showthread.php?t=6741 (WSFS)

Last edited by Michael R. Miller : 05-22-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Its run by Arthur Drechsler. a quick google search shows he's the author of ''The weightlifting Encyclopedia:A guide to world class performance'' Which seems to be a pretty popular/ high selling weightlifting book.
He is also on the USAW board of directors.

That being said do you think it'd be worth it? (not being sarcastic at all, I'm serious because he's not listed on the forum link you posted).
Old 05-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Peikon View Post
Its run by Arthur Drechsler. a quick google search shows he's the author of ''The weightlifting Encyclopedia:A guide to world class performance'' Which seems to be a pretty popular/ high selling weightlifting book.
He is also on the USAW board of directors.

That being said do you think it'd be worth it? (not being sarcastic at all, I'm serious because he's not listed on the forum link you posted).
He may not be listed, but he would be an excellent coach to take the course with. He's been doing this stuff a long time and really knows everything there is to know, IMHO!!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Miller View Post
He may not be listed, but he would be an excellent coach to take the course with. He's been doing this stuff a long time and really knows everything there is to know, IMHO!!
Awesome, That a relief. I really want to take the course and was worried it wouldn't be a good instructor. Now at least i know the 400$ won't go to waste
Old 05-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
Renee Lee

Profile:

Hey Evan,

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread...22#post1056122 (sfw)
Old 05-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Well that thread wasn't "all inclusive" but arthurs book is good I've looked through it, he would definitely be worth the money.

I probably read to much stuff for my own good but these things cost as you pointed out and 400 bucks should be taken seriously.

Also what are YOU looking to get out of it as well, thats also something you have to consider.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Is there a website with the certification schedule and locations? I couldn't find it using google.