CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-05-2011, 07:29 AM   #21
Stu Christensen

Profile:
Re: Too much $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Rent
Utilities
Insurance
Equipment and fixtures (like rubber flooring)
Trainer salaries
Affiliate fees, additional training

Meanwhile, on the revenue side, a Crossfit box has a much lower revenue ceiling than a globo because of the nature of the workouts. Once you get more than 15-20 people per class, you need to either double-staff the classes or have more of them. A $150 member who comes to 5 classes per week consumes many more gym resources than a $40 member who either doesn't show up at all or just walks on the treadmill. Furthermore, because the membership is more expensive, you have to keep the members engaged: plenty of people will just let a $40 membership ride if they only use it a few times a month, but most people will question the value of a $150 membership that they don't use. Again, that drives up the cost/member.

Relative to a globo, I would guess that a Crossfit box has much lower equipment costs per square foot, but much higher training costs per member and much lower member head count. As a result, CF startup costs are low but operating expenses are high, while globos are the reverse.

Katherine
The Globo model is this: Charge $40-$60 a month, make it equitable for you (the gym) but not expensive for them (the gym-goer), and hope they don't show up. I used to work in one, if everyone that had a membership showed up, the Fire Dept would shut us down for being 400% of the rated capacity of the space. Seriously.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #22
Mark Wood

Profile:

This all depends how much you want it... If you think the results are valuable then you will afford it. Otherwise just train at your gym.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #23
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Christensen View Post
The Globo model is this: Charge $40-$60 a month, make it equitable for you (the gym) but not expensive for them (the gym-goer), and hope they don't show up. I used to work in one, if everyone that had a membership showed up, the Fire Dept would shut us down for being 400% of the rated capacity of the space. Seriously.
Exactomondo. I had a discussion with a globo gym owner a couple of years ago, at the time I was assisting the head coach at my box. Ms Globo laughed in my face and berated me for being a 'busy fool'. In her exact words, the ideal gym-goer was one that NEVER turned up.

Does that sound like the sort of person you want to pay, or even worse allow them to train you?!

If your box is charging $150 and it's still operating, then clearly it charges that because the market tolerates it, but bear in mind you will actually receive a service from people who, I believe, would rather provide that service for free than take your money for no reason.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #24
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

If you figure 3 times a week, most boot camps are 8-10 bucks a session. Thats 24-30 a week, equals about 96-120 a month. I wouldn't consider it any different other than better instruction and more results!!!
Old 10-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #25
Jason Bekolay

Profile:

The Globo gym business model is all based on members not showing up. The people who don't use their membership subsidize those who do.

CF would be much cheaper is 75% of the members paid but never went to the box, but this is unlikely to happen. The community that each box provides keeps the members coming back, and that community is what you won't get at your typical globo. IMO, what you're paying for is not just an instructor, facility, and equipment. You're paying for the community, you're paying to train with other people who are just as devoted as you. I get better results, find it easier to stay disciplined, get constant monitoring to prevent injury, and have more fun because of the community. That's what I'm paying for.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #26
Jason Bekolay

Profile:

It's also worth finding out if your employer has any benefits that will help pay for your membership. I know many large companies have discounts on Globo gym memberships, it's worth enquiring to find out if that would also apply to a CF box.

In my case, my employer pays for half my membership. But I'm employed by a small company that does things differently than most.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #27
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Hightower View Post
Even less. I'm just starting out so I don't need 500# of equipment yet. I have a set of dumbells and a pullup bar in the park...starts small. Plus Craigslist has good deals if you watch long enough
you certainly can start with less. i did... but what you start with isn't a lifetime setup. IMO it's essential to invest in a decent bar (~$300) and a minimum of 300 lbs of plates, plus a rack/cage. For men or strong women, I'd say 400 lbs, and for a bigger guy 500 lbs. that much weight doesn't come cheap, even on craigslist. Depending on goals, half that weight should be bumpers, which drives up the cost significantly. In the end, if you get everything you'll ever need for under a grand, you're doing pretty good.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #28
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Interesting that only one other affiliate has responded.

I'm sorry you can't afford your local affiliate. Unfortunately in most (but not all) cases your local affiliate can't keep his or her doors open charging less.

Affiliates are starting to go out of business as they realizes how hard it is and how little money you take home when all is said and done. Keep you eyes open for cheap equipment.

CrossFit has a long rich tradition of garage gyms, Craigslist equipment and home made equipment. I still build stuff for my gym. I just built two tire sleds for about $30. Throw a couple of bumper plates on top and your legs are burning in no time. I can't afford the new $250 Rouge Dog Sleds they used in the Games. A $40 Globo gym membership for heavy lifting plus home made stuff in your garage and you can do most CrossFit workouts.

As for the value of working with an affiliate it depends on if the affiliate is any good. Want to know which affiliates are good? Go to local competitions and see where the most skillful athletes train. They may not be the fastest or strongest but they know what they are doing and do it correctly. They are the one who are well coached.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #29
Zane Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Brigham View Post
why the hell is crossfit so damn expensive?
Because affiliates are really expensive to operate.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:18 AM   #30
Tom McFarlane

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
Affiliates are starting to go out of business as they realizes how hard it is and how little money you take home when all is said and done.
I think this is the unspoken secret about crossfit -- the only people making money are the ones selling the license to the affiliates, and the ones selling the equipment to the affiliates. For the most part (some obvious exceptions), there doesn't seem to be much money in actually running the affiliate.

To the OP, I would recommend to just try crossfitting at a regular gym. Yeah, you will have to modify to some extent (probably no ropes to climb, no dropping weights, etc.), but you can get the same effect of the workout. And at the end of the year, you will have an extra $1,200 or so to spend on yourself.