CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #11
Mike Johnson

Profile:
Re: How sore is too sore to workout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Talk to your coach at your next session and let him know how you're feeling--the point of an on ramp is to teach you movements and gradually get you used to CF-style workouts. If the trainer tries to make you puke or leaves you cripplingly sore for days after your first session, I would look for another gym. You're not going to make much progress if it takes you a week to recover from each workout, and you're very likely to get hurt at some point if the coach doesn't insist on proper scaling.
Did you talk to your coach? If not reread Eric's advice and follow it.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:17 AM   #12
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Seriously, most of us work out when sore, but only you can know where you are on the continuum of soreness between minor aches and too sore to move. Often when you are going through the early adaptations it is best to stretch and warmup ALOT, hydrate alot, and continue being active even when very sore... but that doesn't mean going all out in a WOD. If you haven't already you should tell your trainer what you are experiencing, and if they are any good, they will be able to help you out a bit or further scale your workout so you aren't doing more damage.

Just remember, you will get much fitter by taking an extra rest day to recover from soreness and hitting it again the following day, than you do if you try to push through severe soreness and end up injured.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
Stephanie Schwab

Profile:

I also have a question about scaling? Just in general terms, when Crossfit refers to workouts being scalable, I am assuming (pls correct me if I am misunderstanding) it means reps and weight and duration, etc.? Basically everything? For example, when I finish On Ramp and start the WODs, it would be better to try to complete the reps required for the WOD even with no added weight on an exercise, or would it be better to do the exercise with as much weight as I could handle even if I was nowhere near the required reps? I would imagine it at the discretion of the trainer, etc., but I was just curious. I hope that made sense. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #14
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Schwab View Post
I also have a question about scaling? Just in general terms, when Crossfit refers to workouts being scalable, I am assuming (pls correct me if I am misunderstanding) it means reps and weight and duration, etc.? Basically everything? For example, when I finish On Ramp and start the WODs, it would be better to try to complete the reps required for the WOD even with no added weight on an exercise, or would it be better to do the exercise with as much weight as I could handle even if I was nowhere near the required reps? I would imagine it at the discretion of the trainer, etc., but I was just curious. I hope that made sense. Thanks!
You should scale so you finish somewhere in the middle of the pack of the rest of the class. In other words if 95% of the class finishes a workout in the 6-10 minute range and it takes you 20 minutes, you probably went too heavy or did more rounds than you're ready for.

I would advise against going super-heavy on metcons early on. Weight is probably the easiest (and smartest) factor you can manipulate, and adjusting the weight based on your absolute strength will allow you to get the desired conditioning effect from the workout. You don't want to develop bad habits or get injured early on because you tried to go too heavy when doing a lot of reps of something for time.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #15
Stephanie Schwab

Profile:

Quote:
You should scale so you finish somewhere in the middle of the pack of the rest of the class. In other words if 95% of the class finishes a workout in the 6-10 minute range and it takes you 20 minutes, you probably went too heavy or did more rounds than you're ready for.

I would advise against going super-heavy on metcons early on. Weight is probably the easiest (and smartest) factor you can manipulate, and adjusting the weight based on your absolute strength will allow you to get the desired conditioning effect from the workout. You don't want to develop bad habits or get injured early on because you tried to go too heavy when doing a lot of reps of something for time.
That makes sense. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #16
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

And have you talked to your coach yet about this "major pain" you're in?

Seriously, I wouldn't trust a coach who isn't interested in addressing that issue. Soreness is not a measurement of a good workout and if it's happening on a too-regular basis it will seriously hinder your progress.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #17
Stephanie Schwab

Profile:

Quote:

Seriously, I wouldn't trust a coach who isn't interested in addressing that issue. Soreness is not a measurement of a good workout and if it's happening on a too-regular basis it will seriously hinder your progress.
I did tell her last night how sore I was from the night before, and she still had me do weighted front squats. I was groaning and totally lost good form. And today its horrible. I am shuffling around like I'm old crippled. I am not going back for my third workout til Saturday, thank God. I will text her. I am not sure if this is because I am desperately out of shape or because I am new or if this sort of pain should absolutely not be happening. And my mom, who is doing this with me and in much better shape than I am, is in a very similar amount of pain. I don't think we should have done the same movement two days in a row being so new. I will text my trainer.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #18
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayla Murphy View Post
Also, potassium rich foods (bananas, raisins, melons and coconut water) can help prevent soreness.

Rolling out (something they should teach you at On Ramp) the muscle groups on either foam rollers or, my personal favorite, to roll out on a piece of PVC pipe will break down the lactic acid and make you feel SO much better... It just hurts like a crazy something else when you're doing it.
Good advice on the foam roller, however it has nothing to do with lactic acid. It's compression and traction of the muscles and fascia that decrease trigger points, muscle spasms, and/or pain. Good advice,and now you really know why!
Old 09-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #19
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:

What Eric said. The whole point of an "on-ramp" program is supposed to be to ease people into the demands of Crossfit workouts. Leaving you too sore to move once might be an excusable mistake since the trainer doesn't know you yet. Twice is just not good programming.

There's nothing inherently wrong with doing the same movement two days in a row, provided it's loaded correctly. This clearly wasn't.

Katherine
Old 09-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #20
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Schwab View Post
I did tell her last night how sore I was from the night before, and she still had me do weighted front squats. I was groaning and totally lost good form. And today its horrible. I am shuffling around like I'm old crippled. I am not going back for my third workout til Saturday, thank God. I will text her. I am not sure if this is because I am desperately out of shape or because I am new or if this sort of pain should absolutely not be happening. And my mom, who is doing this with me and in much better shape than I am, is in a very similar amount of pain. I don't think we should have done the same movement two days in a row being so new. I will text my trainer.
As Katherine said, the on-ramp should absolutely be adjusted to beginner levels. I always kept people's first few workouts very simple--the point is to introduce them to CF style workouts and give the coach a chance to assess their technique and fitness levels, not cripple them with soreness.