CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-01-2011, 06:11 AM   #1
Billy Goodson

Profile:
How much is too much? (and recovery questions)

I've been at Crossfit for about 14 months. In the last few I feel like I've taken a step back and I'm trying to determine why.

A little background. 9/6 I will be 47. I wod 5-8 times a week with 5 being a minimum. Recently I've had some shoulder pain that is limiting performance. I struggle with muscle ups and HSPU's where a few months ago although not killing them I could get through most WODS without scaling. The sore is an "achey" sore, in the joint. I honestly don't think it's major. Either bursitus or simply a recovery or nutrition issue.

Some more background:
1. I need to stretch more. I have been working on this but need to be more disciplined
2. I'm getting 7 hours of sleep max, 6.5 is the norm.
3. I'm doing Paleo, cheat 2 meals a week.
4. I won't scale, even when I honestly think I should
5. I'm a gym rat. My biggest issue is not wodding twice every day.

I'm wondering if I may benefit performance wise from wodding 3 days a week and modding every day (my coach thinks so).

I'd be interested to know from EVERYONE what they think would be a good plan. I'm really interested what the other "old folks" are doing Wod wise, recovery, and nutrition.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: How much is too much? (and recovery questions)

It pretty much sounds like you are on in the early stages of overtraining. Take a week off completely from everything but daily stretching, then come back and see how you feel. Once you are back at it, definitely sleep/rest more, and probably eat more.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Read this article from the Affilate section of MainSite two days ago:

Periodization, burnout & crossfit balance.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
Michael Burns

Profile:

Although they are elite athletes, I've heard Froning and Spealler talk about being overtrained year round and then tapering off before the games. I'm overtrained a lot and battle tendonitis in my wrists constantly. I don't believe I progress any faster or slower than 3 on 1 off. For me its just a little bit of an addiction and allows me to take those days off when I'm just not feeling it. Then again I'm only 22. There are people who do the same mode of exercise day in and day out, have you seen the miles elite marathoners log? Its insane. The variety inherent in crossfit makes it a little more difficult to wear yourself out. But I don't know if any benefit from less rest has been shown. I do believe the human body will adapt to almost any demand you can put on it, I think the key is cycles as well as training seasons.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

You're 22, the OP is 47. Much as he may not want to admit it, it would be borderline insane for him to emulate your training.

OP, Rebecca is right. Take a week off.

Katherine
Old 09-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post

Katherine
No brainer. Back off. Working out 5-8 times/week can't be serving any useful purpose, and it's obviously having a negative effect.

- Mark
Old 09-02-2011, 06:34 AM   #7
Billy Goodson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
You're 22, the OP is 47. Much as he may not want to admit it, it would be borderline insane for him to emulate your training.

Katherine
Ok, check this out. I thought the same. I had a forced leave from the gym of 9 days. I will say I think I ran a mile or two a couple of days, and I worked on DU's a couple of times. I'm pretty sure for about the last 5 days I did nothing. My shoulders were KILLING me! They hurt so much I woke up when I rolled over. I'm not sure if that gives some clue to the issue. Back in the gym and Wodding 5 time a week I'm back the the sore/ache but they are definitely not as bad as they were after the time off. Ideas?
Old 09-02-2011, 06:36 AM   #8
Billy Goodson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
No brainer. Back off. Working out 5-8 times/week can't be serving any useful purpose, and it's obviously having a negative effect.

- Mark
It's addiction no doubt. On off days does that mean "off"? I mean no running swimming biking ect? I know stretching should be a daily thing. I need to get on that. Damn.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:12 AM   #9
Joe Lee

Profile:

There are too many possibilities to guess. A couple of ideas to think about. None are meant to be rude.

1.) If it is that bad see a doc.
2.) Listen to your coach thats what they are there for! I assume you pay them to mentor, train and coach you. You have to listen though even if they are 20 something.
3.) STRETCH - pull up every forum article you can on the subject. Search two minute drills. They saved my shoulders big time. I too suffer from lack of stretching and have felt your pain. Learn the teacup drill and use it every day.
4.) WOD less - play more. Your over working most likely, with an acute injury. Don't make it chronic. There are a ton of athletic hobbies to pursue.
5.) Get with your coach and modify your programming. If your coach won't work with you...time to trade in for a new coach. You can still be friends.
6.) Try some TGU's and windmills to tighten the rotator cuff...if that is the culprit.

0.02 cents
Old 09-02-2011, 07:37 AM   #10
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Goodson View Post
On off days does that mean "off"? I mean no running swimming biking ect? I know stretching should be a daily thing. I need to get on that. Damn.
For me, "off" means either:
  • Off completely; no workout, no mobility, no nothing aside from daily life.
  • Light walk (maybe a mile or two) around the neighborhood; not a "power walk." A casual stroll, with no focus whatsoever on doing it for fitness reasons.
  • Mobility / flexibility improvement, including just enough of a warmup (jumping jacks, pushups, squats, whatever) to make sure that I'm stretching warm muscles.

Which I select just depends on how I feel, both physically and emotionally. No matter what, I never look at an off day as if I'm being lazy and ruining all of the hard work that I have been putting in. Instead, my view is that I'm giving my body the rest that it needs and deserves so that I can repair from yesterday's workout and be ready for tomorrow's.

This is all about recovery, which is (or should be) a vital part of your health/fitness program. Yeah, CF workouts can be addicting, but grinding yourself into the ground with them and then not giving yourself the chance to recover and realize the benefit of the workouts is downright foolish.

- Mark