CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #61
Jordan K Smith

Profile:
Re: Westside etc. - please read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Congrats on the PR.
Are you following Chri's Conjugate CF article or a full Westside Template?

Anything you felt was really important to getting the PR--trying maxes, rotating exercises, box squatting, using bands or something else?

Are you doing any metcons?
I did the full Template except I don't have bands or chains at the moment. I'm trying to gain some weight and significant strength so metcons are on hold. For DE, I have been using mostly box squatting from different heights 10 sets of 2. ME i switch every week. Something like front squat week one, then deadlift week two, Zercher w3, back squat w4. Both days, DE and ME, I do a couple of sets of sets of 7-15 for some hypertrophy then 3-4 accessory movements that i switch depending on what's available or how I feel.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #62
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan K Smith View Post
I did the full Template except I don't have bands or chains at the moment. I'm trying to gain some weight and significant strength so metcons are on hold. For DE, I have been using mostly box squatting from different heights 10 sets of 2. ME i switch every week. Something like front squat week one, then deadlift week two, Zercher w3, back squat w4. Both days, DE and ME, I do a couple of sets of sets of 7-15 for some hypertrophy then 3-4 accessory movements that i switch depending on what's available or how I feel.
With the hypertrophy work do you use the ME exercise and DE for that? Meaning that after you do a max zercher, you'll back the weight down for a set or two of hypertrophy work of Zerchers and then move on to assistance work?

A couple of the Westside/conjugate sites do a similar thing.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #63
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
With the hypertrophy work do you use the ME exercise and DE for that? Meaning that after you do a max zercher, you'll back the weight down for a set or two of hypertrophy work of Zerchers and then move on to assistance work?

A couple of the Westside/conjugate sites do a similar thing.
Yes usually. Sometimes though, like after ME deadlift, I'll do front squats or something. I have to be careful with deadlifts, my back gets enough real quick due to old injuries. But that's why I love this program. I can change up movements according to how I feel. I don't HAVE to heavy back squat x amount of times per week, and that has made this program much more sustainable for me. And I love maxing out on different movements. It is much less boring for me.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:14 AM   #64
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Chris,

All I can say is I ****ed around with BS methods for about 18 months after I first discovered Crossfit.

It wasn't till a local trainer walked up to me in the gym one day and ripped into me.

"Stop F**KING around with your bull**** isilationist crap and go to a bloody Box"

I was so impressed that he stood up to me that I did exactly what I was told.

Thanks Vanroe.

Unfortunately the gentler spirited one's must be handeled with kid gloves.

S
Old 09-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #65
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean J Hunter View Post
Chris,

All I can say is I ****ed around with BS methods for about 18 months after I first discovered Crossfit.

It wasn't till a local trainer walked up to me in the gym one day and ripped into me.

"Stop F**KING around with your bull**** isilationist crap and go to a bloody Box"

I was so impressed that he stood up to me that I did exactly what I was told.

Thanks Vanroe.

Unfortunately the gentler spirited one's must be handeled with kid gloves.

S
I think that is especially true online. Interesting commentary on the human psyche when you think about it.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #66
Samy Natour

Profile:

Hit a 385# back squat today Chris, on week 3 of Westside. Thanks!

Now I felt like I was able to sit back a lot better,but I felt slow out of the hole , suggestions?

Also, in terms of general rotation of ME Squat exercises week 1 box squat variation, week 2 deadlift variation, week 3 free squat variation,week 4 good morning variation/maybe free squat again.

Last edited by Samy Natour : 09-19-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:33 PM   #67
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samy Natour View Post
Hit a 385# back squat today Chris, on week 3 of Westside. Thanks!

Now I felt like I was able to sit back a lot better,but I felt slow out of the hole , suggestions?

Also, in terms of general rotation of ME Squat exercises week 1 box squat variation, week 2 deadlift variation, week 3 free squat variation,week 4 good morning variation/maybe free squat again.
I think you just have to get comfortable and adapted to the new technique. I would not try to address any "weakness" just yet. Let's see what happens afetr you squat like that a bit. Remember to include free squats in your ME rotation.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #68
Samy Natour

Profile:

Robert or Chris,

1. Should I bother rotating the front squat into the ME cycle? This cycle looked like this 1. box squat 2.deadlift variation 3. Low Bar Squat 4.Front Squat. I'm thinking from now on of doing a good morning variation on week 4.

Accessory work (main ones): Weighted GHR,Pull Throughs,JM press, Tricep Roll Back,Barbell Rows.

2. Conditioning: I can't go to the gym any extra days. I've been doing row sprints on Friday. Thoughts?
Old 09-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #69
Chris Mason

Profile:

Sammy,

I think the cycle you outlined is great if your goal is CF focused strength.

The rows on Friday are fine. Just be sure to do them AFTER your strength training.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #70
Brian Westerman

Profile:

Chris,
Any differences in template creation from what Tate and Louie say (geared) and what we raw powerlifters should be doing? Our weaknesses will tend to be off the chest, off the ground, out of the hole, not locking out, so should we be shifting the focus of assistance exercises from triceps to pecs, a bit from posterior chain to quads, etc.? How would a raw lifter's routine change? For example I'll be doing RE of wide grip bench instead of close grip bench, and also DB bench to improve bottom of press

Last edited by Brian Westerman : 09-27-2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: New info