CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #51
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Westside etc. - please read

Yeah, no need for such a high rep range for the assistance work.

Why all of that extra chinning etc.?
Old 09-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #52
Damon Mayers

Profile:

Thanks for the input. I thought I read in one of the posts that Westside guys did alot of high rep assistance work. Probably will rotate between 8-12 and 12-15 rep ranges then.

For the chins and pushups, I have just been doing them frequency method ala Strength Villain. Theory being that if you do easy sets frequently it would be effective stimulus, but have no affect on recovery. Maybe I will drop them since I am adding a 4th Day of lifting a week.

Walking is in there because, well, I just like to walk a bit before I go an sit my *** at the computer all day.

Again thanks for the input Chris and Robert. I will post up my DE Bench Workout today when I get home from the gym.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #53
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I think high rep assistance work is a relative term. Compared to a lot of powerlifters who do a lot of triples and 5's and 6's for a lot of their work the Westsides guys do "higher" rep work in that there sets are often in the 10-12 range, sometimes 15. Keep in mind, some people do better in different rep ranges, so offer time see what works best for you.

With the frequency method, grease the groove, see how things go. If your upper back movements are making progress and you can handle more pullups more power too you. If on the other hand you are struggling on the upper body days, drop'em. Westside works on building work capacity too--usually via sled work or mini workouts, so if you are not going crazy with the pullups, it might help build your work capacity.

Chris--do you do a lot of mini-workouts or sled days?
Old 09-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #54
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

Finally got my 315 back squat using the westside method. Thanks for turning me on to it Chris!
Old 09-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #55
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Congrats on the PR.
Are you following Chri's Conjugate CF article or a full Westside Template?

Anything you felt was really important to getting the PR--trying maxes, rotating exercises, box squatting, using bands or something else?

Are you doing any metcons?
Old 09-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #56
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
I think high rep assistance work is a relative term. Compared to a lot of powerlifters who do a lot of triples and 5's and 6's for a lot of their work the Westsides guys do "higher" rep work in that there sets are often in the 10-12 range, sometimes 15. Keep in mind, some people do better in different rep ranges, so offer time see what works best for you.

With the frequency method, grease the groove, see how things go. If your upper back movements are making progress and you can handle more pullups more power too you. If on the other hand you are struggling on the upper body days, drop'em. Westside works on building work capacity too--usually via sled work or mini workouts, so if you are not going crazy with the pullups, it might help build your work capacity.

Chris--do you do a lot of mini-workouts or sled days?
If the lifter has time, and they are done properly, yes.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #57
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan K Smith View Post
Finally got my 315 back squat using the westside method. Thanks for turning me on to it Chris!
Thanks for giving it a go!
Old 09-14-2011, 01:24 PM   #58
Samy Natour

Profile:

I hit the same numbers for pin press(pins set to just above where the bar touches the chest) and close grip bench. Is this strange?
Old 09-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #59
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samy Natour View Post
I hit the same numbers for pin press(pins set to just above where the bar touches the chest) and close grip bench. Is this strange?
My close grip is only about 2.5lbs lower than my pin press of the first set of pins which is off my chest a couple inches (277.5 vs 280). (which is also only about the same as my normal grip bench) . So I don't think it's that strange. Unless we are strange together.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #60
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

It's not too strange. Both should be lower than your regular bench. The dead start in the pin press makes it tougher and on the close grip you take out some of the shoulder and chest stress and put in on the tris only, therefore lowering the weight.