CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-03-2011, 12:09 AM   #41
Mauricio Leal

Profile:
Re: Westside etc. - please read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Good set up. How have things worked out blending OLy work in an Westside fashion?
It's going well. I think it is definitely doable for most intermediate and above athletes with good recovery, but it is important to know when to reduce it to fewer components and prioritize based on what you hope to accomplish that day/week. And of course, extra rest days when you're cooked. I typically do a bulgarian-ish program with some reduced volume (one lift rather than both), either a snatch or a clean and jerk up to a max for the day 2-3 days/week, followed by 3-8 singles at 80-90%. Then I do the conjugate stuff if it falls on the two days per week those land on, which is actually only the DL for me right now as I feel this out (and that's my basic weakness), which is probably significantly more doable than a full on 3-4 lift program.

For the 3rd week DL re-test I will cut out the oly for that day. Depending on how I feel on a given day I may do a WOD after both, but this is absolutely non-committal and only if I feel like I have something in me, as well as the time and desire. Those days are pretty taxing, but the recovery has been improving. Right now is a little challenging because I've been suckered into doing some double days and hero wods recently. It's a good season to work on volume and recovery a bit though, so I don't mind at the moment. I may write something up after 2-3 cycles (8-12 weeks).
Old 09-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #42
Samy Natour

Profile:

Chris or Robert or anyone else,

I started westside today, have a look and tell me if this sounds ok

Max effort Squat

Box Squat (paralel Box)
2x5 bar
2x3 135
1x3 225
1x2 275
1x1 315

Work
1x1 335
1x1 355
1x1 365
1x1 375
1x1 385

Too many reps? Keep in mind I didn't really have an idea of what a heavy box squat would be..

p.s. Speed days are going to be key, I'm slow as s*** outta the bottom.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #43
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I know Chris likes to minimize warmup sets and get to the meat of things. I like probably a little more warmup than Chris, but not much more.

Why do 2 sets of the bar? Might as well just do one set of 8-10.

I'd do one set of 5 on the 135, as opposed to 2 sets.

For me I'm happy with the rest, and now you know you won't have to start as low when you start working the singles.

So next time might be: 365, 385, 390-395.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #44
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samy Natour View Post
Chris or Robert or anyone else,

I started westside today, have a look and tell me if this sounds ok

Max effort Squat

Box Squat (paralel Box)
2x5 bar
2x3 135
1x3 225
1x2 275
1x1 315

Work
1x1 335
1x1 355
1x1 365
1x1 375
1x1 385

Too many reps? Keep in mind I didn't really have an idea of what a heavy box squat would be..

p.s. Speed days are going to be key, I'm slow as s*** outta the bottom.
If you are a raw squatter remember to include regular squats in your ME rotation as well.

WAAAYYYYYY too many sets... Next time, do:

135 x 5
225 x 3-5
315 x 2
355 x 1
385 x 1 and then perhaps 390 for a new PR (or more if you feel like you can handle it).
Old 09-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #45
Samy Natour

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
If you are a raw squatter remember to include regular squats in your ME rotation as well.

WAAAYYYYYY too many sets... Next time, do:

135 x 5
225 x 3-5
315 x 2
355 x 1
385 x 1 and then perhaps 390 for a new PR (or more if you feel like you can handle it).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
I know Chris likes to minimize warmup sets and get to the meat of things. I like probably a little more warmup than Chris, but not much more.

Why do 2 sets of the bar? Might as well just do one set of 8-10.

I'd do one set of 5 on the 135, as opposed to 2 sets.

For me I'm happy with the rest, and now you know you won't have to start as low when you start working the singles.

So next time might be: 365, 385, 390-395.

Thanks! That makes sense, much less volume too. I felt a bit beat up afterwards.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:33 AM   #46
Samy Natour

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post

WAAAYYYYYY too many sets.

Close Grip Bench
barx8
135x5
185x3
225x1
245x1
255x1

Better?
Old 09-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #47
Samy Natour

Profile:

Oh and sort of trivial question, but when the bands say its 60 pounds of resistance, is that PER band or for the pair of bands?
Old 09-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #48
Damon Mayers

Profile:

Hi Chris, this weekend I ran into your post's/articles on the conjugate metod. After reading through the Westside Threads on this forum I am attempting to put it all together and give it a go. I am hoping to get some input on my plan before I start, to see if you can see any faults or tweaks that a new person to Westside might overlook.

For some background I have been lifting for 1 year constistantly. before this year I had messed around with SS but only for 2-3 month stints and then get burnt out and stop. The last 8 months I have been on GSLP, which has made me noticably bigger and stronger. Now I feel I want to start to mix things up and get some more variety in my workout regimine. Enough about me, he is my template I have thrown together from my reasearch.

Tenative Westside Template

Monday: ME Upper
Tuesday: DE Lower
Wednesday: Cardio (200 KB Swings. Hammerstrikes to tire.)
Thursday: DE Upper
Friday: ME Lower
Saturday: Cardio (Sprints. Prowler Pushes or Pulls)
Sunday: Rest

Assistance Upper: 2 Sets Press Supplement, 2-3 Sets Triceps, 3-4 Sets Upper Back and 1 Set of Biceps. Trying to keep all sets in 15-20 Rep Range, sometimes Back sets are in the 8-12.

Assitance Lower: 2 Sets Glute/Ham Work, 2 Sets of Lower Back and 2 Sets of Abs. Trying to keep all sets in the 15-20 Rep Range.

I plan on switching my ME lift every week as I have seen you recommend now. I plan on switching my Assistance Work every 3-4 weeks.

Daily Activity

On top of that I plan on doing some basic daily stuff as follows:

1) 30-60 minutes of Brisk Walk.
2) Chins and Pushups. All submaximal, as in, last rep is as easy as first. For me its about 6 Chins and 25 Pushups. 5 Sets spread through the day.
3) Some Burpees.

Sorry for the longwinded post. Thanks for all the information you have already given on the boards already. Any additional feedback I could get would be great. Thanks for your time.

Damon
Damon
Old 09-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #49
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samy Natour View Post
Close Grip Bench
barx8
135x5
185x3
225x1
245x1
255x1

Better?
I like it.
Not sure about the band listed resistances. You might want to ask the vendor your purchased them from.

Some people try to be precise and want to know how much tension the band is producing when they add them to the bar. But there are so many variances that even if someone tells you what the tension is, it still might be different based on how you ste them up and how your leg and arm lengthts are. I'm short, so if I attach bands to the bottom of my rack and the barbell, when I box squat there is no tension at the bottom. So I have to knot them or wrap them around more stuff to get some tension. I guess I could get a scale and stand on it with the bands to estimate what the top tension is.

I think it would be great if you know, but it's probably not worth it as long as you keep clear records. So differentiate between records for your bench, bench with blue band, bench with 2 mini bands, bench with chain, bench with blue band knotted once.

For dynamic day, speed is master. If you are fast with 60%1RM bar weight and blue bands, you rock. If you are slow with 60%1RM bar weight and blued bands--either use an easier band or drop your bar weight a little. My understanding is Louie keeps the weight percentages the same for bands as chains and straight weight. But others will drop the percentages 5-10% since bands can be pretty intense. See what works for you and be speedy.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #50
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Mayers View Post
Hi Chris, this weekend I ran into your post's/articles on the conjugate metod. After reading through the Westside Threads on this forum I am attempting to put it all together and give it a go. I am hoping to get some input on my plan before I start, to see if you can see any faults or tweaks that a new person to Westside might overlook.

For some background I have been lifting for 1 year constistantly. before this year I had messed around with SS but only for 2-3 month stints and then get burnt out and stop. The last 8 months I have been on GSLP, which has made me noticably bigger and stronger. Now I feel I want to start to mix things up and get some more variety in my workout regimine. Enough about me, he is my template I have thrown together from my reasearch.

Tenative Westside Template

Monday: ME Upper
Tuesday: DE Lower
Wednesday: Cardio (200 KB Swings. Hammerstrikes to tire.)
Thursday: DE Upper
Friday: ME Lower
Saturday: Cardio (Sprints. Prowler Pushes or Pulls)
Sunday: Rest

Assistance Upper: 2 Sets Press Supplement, 2-3 Sets Triceps, 3-4 Sets Upper Back and 1 Set of Biceps. Trying to keep all sets in 15-20 Rep Range, sometimes Back sets are in the 8-12.

Assitance Lower: 2 Sets Glute/Ham Work, 2 Sets of Lower Back and 2 Sets of Abs. Trying to keep all sets in the 15-20 Rep Range.

I plan on switching my ME lift every week as I have seen you recommend now. I plan on switching my Assistance Work every 3-4 weeks.

Daily Activity

On top of that I plan on doing some basic daily stuff as follows:

1) 30-60 minutes of Brisk Walk.
2) Chins and Pushups. All submaximal, as in, last rep is as easy as first. For me its about 6 Chins and 25 Pushups. 5 Sets spread through the day.
3) Some Burpees.

Sorry for the longwinded post. Thanks for all the information you have already given on the boards already. Any additional feedback I could get would be great. Thanks for your time.

Damon
Damon
Looks like a good set up overall. Don't for get rear delt work--face pulls, db cleans, rear delt raises--maybe 2 sets on one upper day and then 2 sets of another row/shrug on the other day.

Depending on your anterior chain/quad strength, you might need 2-3 sets of a quad movement on just one day.

Why 15-20 reps per set? Not criticizing, just wondering why. Usually I like to mix it up. So if on Dyn day, I might press in the 6-10 range, row in the 8-12 range and flip it on the ME day. Also it depends on how you've responded to various ranges in the past.

Depending on you fitness base, your daily work might be too much. Depends on how your lifts and assitance work moves.