CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2011, 06:15 PM   #31
David Meverden
Member David Meverden is offline
 
David Meverden's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Charleston  SC
Posts: 2,802
Re: Westside etc. - please read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Someone (a CF affiliate) posted this on FB today:

WFS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvFN3...layer_embedded
Does this mean you won't write that book for us? hehe

P.S. Robert Fabsik: Cool spreadsheet!

Last edited by David Meverden : 08-31-2011 at 06:24 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:31 PM   #32
Michael Dowling
Member Michael Dowling is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Goshen  NY
Posts: 733
Re: Westside etc. - please read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Well without writing a manual I tried to provide a basic template you can just plug some numbers in and follow it. Yeah, I guess you might benefit from doing some reading on the dynamic method, the max effort method and the repetition method. But, I was trying to just offer the skeleton to those ready to make the step to Westside but who don't know where to start.
Don't get me wrong it's a great spreadsheet, and I'm sure once someone has an idea of the principles of Westside it's immensely useful. It's just most programs gain popularity because of their simplicity and the ability for someone to do it on their own. Your spreadsheet looks great but for most people they have no idea what dynamic upper body means. They probably don't know what 80% of those lifts are or how to execute them properly.

It takes study I get that, but I'm pretty ignorant to lifting so I like to stick to things that are fool proof and simple. I would hate to do a program for months only to find out I basically programmed myself a terrible program and I've been doing half the lifts incorrectly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:34 PM   #33
Chris Mason
Banned Chris Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 4,708
Re: Westside etc. - please read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
Don't get me wrong it's a great spreadsheet, and I'm sure once someone has an idea of the principles of Westside it's immensely useful. It's just most programs gain popularity because of their simplicity and the ability for someone to do it on their own. Your spreadsheet looks great but for most people they have no idea what dynamic upper body means. They probably don't know what 80% of those lifts are or how to execute them properly.

It takes study I get that, but I'm pretty ignorant to lifting so I like to stick to things that are fool proof and simple. I would hate to do a program for months only to find out I basically programmed myself a terrible program and I've been doing half the lifts incorrectly.
And those same people did not know what a set or rep was, or how to do any exercises at some point. Come on, people act like it is rocket science. It isn't.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:38 PM   #34
Paulo Santos
Banned Paulo Santos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hopatcong  NJ
Posts: 2,164
Re: Westside etc. - please read

Here is the template I'm working on. I'll try and see if I can figure out how to put the formulas in so once you put in the 1RM number, it will calculate the percentages.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Gc&output=html (WFS)
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:15 AM   #35
Michael Loucas
Member Michael Loucas is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fairfield  NJ
Posts: 1,373
Re: Westside etc. - please read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Here is the template I'm working on. I'll try and see if I can figure out how to put the formulas in so once you put in the 1RM number, it will calculate the percentages.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Gc&output=html (WFS)
Would be cool if you had a selection for weaknesses in each exercises.

Example:

Squat Weakness: Bottom Middle Top

Whichever one you select will display a list of assistance exercises for that weakness etc. Just a thought for lazy people like me who don't feel like using google
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:46 AM   #36
Paulo Santos
Banned Paulo Santos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hopatcong  NJ
Posts: 2,164
Re: Westside etc. - please read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Loucas View Post
Would be cool if you had a selection for weaknesses in each exercises.

Example:

Squat Weakness: Bottom Middle Top

Whichever one you select will display a list of assistance exercises for that weakness etc. Just a thought for lazy people like me who don't feel like using google
I'm not following you exactly. You want me to add more assistance exercises?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:03 AM   #37
Michael Loucas
Member Michael Loucas is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fairfield  NJ
Posts: 1,373
Re: Westside etc. - please read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
I'm not following you exactly. You want me to add more assistance exercises?
Well for example, if there's people who don't know how to fix their weaknesses, you tell the spreadsheet where your weakness is. And it tells you which assistance exercises to do for that weakness. So like for bench press weakness, if the issue is "lockout" a list of tricep assistance exercises show for you so you can pick which ones you want to do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #38
Mauricio Leal
Affiliate Mauricio Leal is offline
 
Mauricio Leal's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland  CA
Posts: 839
Re: Westside etc. - please read

That's a cool spreadsheet. I dunno, it is difficult to reduce a program with so many adjustable parts to something visually simple. But I do think it would be useful to provide some concrete examples with no variables of complete mesocycles for people to use/adapt.

Here's my attempt at my current (incomplete) Deadlift + CF program. I left out oly sessions prior to ME work and several WODs on "rest days" so as not to confuse too much.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Deadlift + CF 4 Wk Example.pdf (74.4 KB, 297 views)
__________________
CrossFit Cypher
www.crossfitcypher.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #39
Chris Mason
Banned Chris Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 4,708
Re: Westside etc. - please read

The weakness thing really isn't hard. Pick some assistance exercises and do them for a few weeks. If they help your big 3, or 4 if you count the press, then they are likely addressing a relative weakness. In addition, by virtue of the weekly rotation of ME exercises, you are also much better addressing weaknesses than with programs that lack said variety.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #40
Robert Fabsik
Member Robert Fabsik is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kildeer  IL
Posts: 2,233
Re: Westside etc. - please read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post
That's a cool spreadsheet. I dunno, it is difficult to reduce a program with so many adjustable parts to something visually simple. But I do think it would be useful to provide some concrete examples with no variables of complete mesocycles for people to use/adapt.

Here's my attempt at my current (incomplete) Deadlift + CF program. I left out oly sessions prior to ME work and several WODs on "rest days" so as not to confuse too much.
Good set up. How have things worked out blending OLy work in an Westside fashion?
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For ANYONE that questions Westside Chris Mason Fitness 116 09-02-2011 08:59 AM
Westside of Olympia, WA Craig Sheley In Search of CrossFitters 0 01-15-2011 06:06 PM
Westside For Grapplers Troy Becker Fitness 13 12-25-2010 07:50 PM
Crossfit + Westside Joseph Cormier Fitness 12 08-20-2008 06:10 AM
Westside? Kevin Roddy Fitness 17 05-19-2004 04:54 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.