CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-10-2011, 08:41 PM   #121
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Westside etc. - please read

Sounds just about right. Some of the more experienced guys have been able to use 45-55% of their max 1RM raw bench. But see how the speed goes. You want to lower controlled but fast then reverse it and keep pushing. Since you don't have bands, approach it like board breaking--where you stop your punch 3-4 inches beyond the board. Accelerate to the very end. Hmm, I wonder if you told them the bands would prevent you from hyperextending your elbow, if they'd consider it??

Try to keep the rest brief and hit 3 different grips. I usually rotate just inside my regular grip, my regular grip and just wider than my regular grip. Some guys do 3 sets of one, then 3 sets of the other then 3 sets of the final. Just trying to hit different fibers/angles.

The dynamic stuff is fun and unique, but don't take a snooze on the assistance work either.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #122
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. Miller View Post
Ok Mr. Mason I have been tip toeing around WSBB methods for awhile but afraid to dive in for some reason. But I am fed up and frustrated with my progress so I will give you my goals and hopefully you can convince me to dive into WestSide.

All time PRs
Deadlift-455
Front Squat-365
Back Squat-335 (I worked just front for awhile dont ask why)
Shoulder Press-235
Bench-325

Ok so these numbers are old I took a 8 month layoff from just about all working out at all due to injury. So my numbers are a little off of those but not much. My goal is for a 500lb deadlift by April of next year. I would like to have it well before that but I was just giving a timeline to work with. If I go full on westside does this sound achievable to you?
Yes! 45 lbs to your PR deadlift can happen in less time than that. If you train raw be sure to include the free squat in your ME lower rotation.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:33 AM   #123
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Ok so would your template from the journal be fine for that then? I dont mind if it takes longer then going full on westside if I dont get a couple metcon sessions in a week I will go nuts. I was going to just pull them off the CFootball site and keep them around the 10 minute mark.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #124
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Chris has been hinting that he is writing a new Journal Article implmenting full Westside with some WODs.

I think if your goal is to boost your deadlift, you'd be better off doing full Westside with some dynamic deadlifts/speed pulls and then do 2-3 metcons a week at most.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #125
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Why not use the Journal Article he wrote regarding increasing the DL here: "Dead On"
Old 10-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #126
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Ok short term goal is 500 deadlift, but I want a strength program I can stick with even after. That outlined just DL work, I am sure I can fiddle and make changes but why do that when there is already a template for both conditioning and westside that will give me the same results. Now I know Chris has said that he has noticed 2 days of conditioning is enough to maintain but he has also said that now he believes there should be DE days so I will stick with that and use short heavys as they seem to be the perfect match.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #127
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Did my DE upper last night at 55% 1RM and noticed my upper body was almost coming up off the bench with the bar during the concentric portion of the lift. I figure that means I'm doing the reps right (explosively) but just wanted to run it by you guys.

Oh, and for the ME tonight I'm going to squat. I keep seeing 'free squats' and just to clarify: that means standard back squat without a box, correct?
On that note - is it safe to say I'll always want to be doing my DE squats with a box?

I appreciate you guys gettin back to me on seemingly 'duh' questions.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #128
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Free squat--no box, but still use a barbell.

Probably 90% of the time you should DE off of a box or something. But, feel free to try a cycle without for a change of pace.

In regards to DE Bench, when you bench you should really try to keep your back on the bench. If your back is coming up you might not be driving your feet enough to keep you anchored down. You don't want the habit of coming off the bench because on ME days, you want to have strong support beneath you when crushing up the heavier weights.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #129
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Got it, thanks! So even when DE benching without bands I shouldn't expect to be propelled upwards a bit? But then again I wasn't as focused on my feet as much as I should have been...I was only really concerned about gettin that bar up as quickly as possible on each rep. Good thing I noticed this early on.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #130
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Think about your upper body being a platform to launch your bench. If the platform is unstable it's not going to transfer force as effectively. Learn to use the force that is getting your torso off the bench into the bar and the bar will move faster.

Some Westsider somewhere, said if you are coming off the bench you are doing something wrong. You should drive your torso into the bench and the bar into the sky so for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction.