CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-18-2007, 08:50 AM   #1
Brendan Sonnichsen

Profile:
This question wasn't addressed yesterday on the CF board. Does anybody have an answer?

After Brendan presses out at the top in the video, the position he receives the weight in as he brings it back down to rack looks a lot like muted hip function (pelvis chasing knees). Is this ideal or not? My understanding is that this position is less stable and less powerful; stability being the primary concern for this phase of the movement.

I tend to do the same thing and I've been trying to "fix" it. But maybe I ain't broke and I'd love to here one way or the other.

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2007, 07:28 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
When lowering the weight back to the shoulders, you are trying NOT to use power. You are trying to lower the weight softly onto the shoulders, using the knees and hips as shock absorbers. Muted hip function is a problem only when you are trying to maximize power, not minimize it.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:33 PM   #3
Brendan Sonnichsen

Profile:
Hi Lincoln,

Thanks for the response. You mentioned that we are using the knees and hips as shock absorbers. As weights get heavier, when Brendan lowers the weight his pelvis "chases his knees" (hips are more extended rather than flexed). I tend to do the same thing, and I'd like to know if it is, in fact, more ideal to work on closing the hip in the receiving motion like we do in the dip-drive for the power phase of the movement. I'm reasoning that if the dip position with flexed hips is stable and powerful for launching the weight up, it's also stable for receiving the weight on its way down.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2007, 08:14 PM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
The hip/knee motion for the jerk is different than the pull motion/triple extension. The bar path tends to follow the line formed by the hip joint and the shoulders. If the hip flexes too much during the dip then the bar will drift forward. The drive will then send the bar even more forward, resulting in a missed lift.

In the jerk drive, the hip joint moves in a strictly vertical plane, directly under the shoulder joint. The knees travel forward of that plane. This is unlike the squat and the pull, where there is more flexion of the hip. The key points and goals of the jerk drive/push press are a rapid reversal of direction at the bottom of the dip, power on the drive and a strictly vertical bar path.

Hope that helps answer your question as to how much the hips should "chase" the knees.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:43 AM   #5
Brendan Sonnichsen

Profile:
I understand the dip/drive portion of the push jerk and push press.

My question is whether on receiving the weight back into rack position it is ideal to receive in a dip position. Brendan's tendency, especially as weight got heavier, seemed to be to receive the weight with knees forward, and pelvis chasing.

http://www.kettlestack.com/images/hipfunction.jpg

This diagram shows it best. When he dip-drives for the push press he has good posture. When he receives the weight back into rack, his posture looks more like the "bad" posture. His is not as bad as some I've seen, but it's still there. You can begin to see it happening on his 170lb lifts.

Should we as athletes and coaches be pursuing this "good" posture on receipt of the weight back to rack?

It seems to me that if this posture is stable and balanced due to lowered center of mass prior to the weight going up, it would be the same when the weight is coming down.

For clarity, I'm referring to this video:
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...hPress7by3.mov

Thanks again!
Old 05-25-2007, 07:01 AM   #6
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
There shouldn't be forward inclination on the dip/drive, so I don't really agree the first picture is correct for the push press.

In the second picture, arch the back and get the JLo butt going and everything corrects itself.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:30 AM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I agree with Anthony. In the first picture, the hips are too far back. FOR THE PUSH PRESS AND JERK. In the second they are a little too far forward. Neither will work for the push press. Take the first pictue, get the spine vertical, get the hip joint directly under the barbell, push the knees more forward. Then you're good to go.

But yes, maybe Brendan does get his hips a little ahead of his shoulders when he receives the bar. This inclination of the torso makes it a little easier to land the bar on to the shoulders. Mechanically ideal? Maybe not. But the key take-away point is that he is using much better technique than the woman, who receives the bar on locked knees.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #8
Brendan Sonnichsen

Profile:
Thanks guys!