CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #61
Ellis King

Profile:
Re: Final games thoughts

It's funny, I did not even consider that people would have problems with the stationary bike. I mean, they were on that thing for about 1 minute at a time. As much as I like to be entertained, I guess it takes me longer than a minute to get bored. Very appropriate test of fitness and variety, no more boring than a rower.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #62
Todd R Miller

Profile:

Something that might make biking (and rowing) on the stationary more spectator friendly would be to display some of the stats from each bike (or rower). I think it would be cool to see the watts, RPM and distance of each competitor. For one, I'd love to see what kind of wattage these guys are generating. Could also have a progress bar for each competitor. In the arena, they could be displayed on the jumbotron. And they could be displayed with the online feeds.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #63
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

my problem with the bike is that it's not something that the competitors had experience with and there is a big risk of injury to the knees if the bike isn't set up correctly. if you have ever done cycing or spinning then you know that getting the proper position is very important. the athletes may or may not have know how to set it up and i would have hated to see a tweaked knee from the bike determine the outcome. although it appeared to turn out fine.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:29 AM   #64
Jeff Binek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
i like froning being open about his faith.
I have no problem with him being "open" about his faith. But that would imply someone directly asking him about it, and Rich being open to talking to said person about it. He kind of shoves it in your face. He answers real, honest, straight forward questions with a religious statement that doesn't answer the question. I never appreciate when athletes dodge interview questions -- if you don't want to answer the questions at that time, just don't do the interview. I have a respect for good Christians, people who aren't caught up in the religion or politics, but are just faithful and want to spread their faith however they can. Obviously Rich is trying to use his talent and CrossFit as a medium to help him on his journey to spread his faith, I for one just don't think he is doing it in the best way possible and it makes him come off as unintelligent not being able to dictate and answer questions properly.
My Numbers: 6'2" 225lbs: DL 565, BS 455, FS 400, Clean 330, Jerk 325, C&J 325, Snatch 250, Fran: 2:27, Helen: 6:43
Old 08-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #65
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Binek View Post
I have no problem with him being "open" about his faith. But that would imply someone directly asking him about it, and Rich being open to talking to said person about it. He kind of shoves it in your face. He answers real, honest, straight forward questions with a religious statement that doesn't answer the question. I never appreciate when athletes dodge interview questions -- if you don't want to answer the questions at that time, just don't do the interview. I have a respect for good Christians, people who aren't caught up in the religion or politics, but are just faithful and want to spread their faith however they can. Obviously Rich is trying to use his talent and CrossFit as a medium to help him on his journey to spread his faith, I for one just don't think he is doing it in the best way possible and it makes him come off as unintelligent not being able to dictate and answer questions properly.
Agree with most of this, except... When people respond to specific questions with their religious beliefs, it makes it appear (to me) that discussing their beliefs is more important to them than providing an answer that addresses the question. Not an intelligence issue IMO.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #66
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

Quote:
Agreed. I look forward to his videos because of the work the guy can do. In that right he's pretty incredible. But I find myself just shaking my head and skipping through the interviews now.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #67
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

I don't enjoy religion being force fed, but I didn't get that vibe from him at all. They asked him why he does crossfit. He represented crossfit faith in the open. He said, "for the glory of god." None of that is in your face, it's his answer. I don't think he needs to give a PhD dissertation on why he does crossfit.

None of the guys in the top 10 are what I consider geniuses. All of them work at gyms. They're not out curing cancer or performing brain surgery. Why expect more from a religious country boy? And Spealler has never been one to shy away from his religious affiliations in interviews.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #68
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
Besides cycling is not exaclty a movement we were meant to do. Running, Squatting, pullups, deadlifts and so on are movements that have been programmed into our DNA. Cycling is not. Just like smith machine presses and 20 minutes of "fat burning" elipical work is not which is why we do not do them in Crossfit
Hmmm. I didn't realize that hip flexion and extension, knee flexion and extension, and ankle flexion and extension weren't a part of my DNA...
Old 08-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #69
Gavan Hennigan

Profile:

Quote:
Yes i have to agree with you there for sure! it's pretty cringy stuff
Old 08-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #70
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
I'm going to try to not be an *******, but you saying that you wish Mikko could have continued makes me very confused by your first statement up there. That is EXACTLY what happened to Mikko... (supposedly) So why aren't you all jazzed up against the swim event since it openly allowed injuries/danger?

Even the past runs had instances of guys getting shoved and falling down the slopes. All sport has contact. Don't put these guys in a bubble.
You're right. I should be jazzed. Glad you pointed that out. I think it's CRAP that one of my favorite CrossFitters didn't get a chance to prove his stuff because some other jerk kicked him in the head. I was thinking of that as more of a freak accident than as something preventable, but now that you mention it, it seems perfectly reasonable that they could have mitigated such risks.

Quote:
I didn't see that (stopped watching once I knew who the winners were), but I'd probably be very turned off. Though, on the other hand, his motivation is his. Does he push himself for God? For Money? For Glory? Because he doesn't have anything better to do? He's got the right to preach for whatever his cause is. We just don't have to like it, haha, as demonstrated.