CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-02-2011, 07:14 AM   #41
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: Final games thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
But with motorcycles.
on a bosu ball?
Old 08-02-2011, 07:32 AM   #42
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Personally, coming from Japan, I would have loved to seen a keirin event instead of the stationary bike, but I can understand how that would be much more difficult to incorporate + plenty of danger for those not accustomed to biking on a keirin track.

I think the final event would have been better placed as event 3 or 4. The rope/C&J or the DU/OHS/HSPU/Sled would have made for a better final event.

I was bummed that we didn't have Justin Judkins and other better commentators from previous years on the live feed. I don't know if it was this way for everyone, but I had zero commentator audio while I was watching, only the announcer guy telling me what rep people were on, which I could see on the right side of the screen.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:34 AM   #43
Jim Denofa

Profile:

Elisabeth Akinwale had the most inspiring performance of the whole weekend on the Killer Kage in my opinion. She didn't come off the bars at all and beat her closest competitor by 40 seconds. She was the only competitor, male or female who made it all the way through on all 3 rounds. One of the most exciting and inspiring shows of will and strength that I've seen at the games ever.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #44
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Denofa View Post
Elisabeth Akinwale had the most inspiring performance of the whole weekend on the Killer Kage in my opinion. She didn't come off the bars at all and beat her closest competitor by 40 seconds. She was the only competitor, male or female who made it all the way through on all 3 rounds. One of the most exciting and inspiring shows of will and strength that I've seen at the games ever.
Personally, I was more impressed with Mikko Salo finishing the first workout despite the busted eardrum. Dude busted his eardrum and then did 50 CTB pullups, 100 pushups, 200 squats, and ran nearly two miles in the sand.

But, yes, Elisabeth's performance on the Kage was very impressive.

- Mark
Old 08-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #45
Jim Hurd

Profile:

To flog an already dead horse, the softball throw was just too parochial. The people that did well all played baseball at a high competitive level. How many athletes from Europe or Asia are going to have that? Why not kick a soccer ball as far as you can? At least that's global. Pat Sherwood was right though, it didn't affect the final outcome. The fittest athletes definitely rose to the top. Fantastic athletes, fantastic competition. I loved every minute.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #46
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hurd View Post
To flog an already dead horse, the softball throw was just too parochial. The people that did well all played baseball at a high competitive level. How many athletes from Europe or Asia are going to have that? Why not kick a soccer ball as far as you can? At least that's global. Pat Sherwood was right though, it didn't affect the final outcome. The fittest athletes definitely rose to the top. Fantastic athletes, fantastic competition. I loved every minute.
Jim - baseball is huge in Japan (and pretty big in Korea). There is a summer high school baseball tournament held in August (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanes...l_Championship - wfs) that takes over most of the sports coverage during that time. Also, regular professional baseball takes up most of the sports coverage in-season. Freakishly frustrating for someone who wants to get news on other things like soccer.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #47
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
Jim - baseball is huge in Japan (and pretty big in Korea). There is a summer high school baseball tournament held in August (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanes...l_Championship - wfs) that takes over most of the sports coverage during that time. Also, regular professional baseball takes up most of the sports coverage in-season. Freakishly frustrating for someone who wants to get news on other things like soccer.
And throwing a softball isn't a terribly technical movement. You wouldn't throw a softball much different than a light rock, baseball, nerf football or any other object of similar size (aside from trying to throw a spiral on a football). I never played baseball/softball in school, neither has my wife. We both went out and tossed softballs yesterday just for kicks. She's a 5'2" 122lbs woman and threw enough for 36th place in the womens and would have beat at least one of the men. And both balls were within 5-10ft of center. I don't think changing the object would have made that big of a difference.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:21 PM   #48
David Meverden

Profile:

BIKING: Yes, it was the most boring ever but you can't have them going around a track together. What happens when one person collides with another? Is the first less fit because he got slammed into by someone who sucks at biking? So, either ditch the bike OR have them go 1 at a time, time trial style.

SOFTBALL THROW: Javelin would have been cooler, but I have to agree: the so called fittest man should be able to throw something farther than a girl who plays middle school softball.

NO MONOSTRUCTURAL EVENTS: I was bemoaning how there would not be monostructural stuff. There wasn't any stand alone monostructural events, but the weighted pullup, snatch, and watercan carry as skills helped ease my annoyance. Though, of course, 2 minutes was WAY to short. Stuff I'd still liked to have seen:
-A sled event with more sled, less other junk (maybe sled pushing only interrupted to unload your sled, toss the weight and sled over barriers, then load up and continue). Or maybe a car push.
-A fairly pure endurance event like the 7k trail run from 2009.
-A pure strength event, strongman style; flip the heaviest tire you can. Move atlas stones. Things like that.

MISC THOUGHTS:
-A "choose how you get the work done" event would be cool, as suggested above.
-Wish Mikko could have continued. He was missed.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #49
Ben Norris

Profile:

I though the biking was awesome and cannot wait for the Eliptical event in the 2012 games where you are only allowed to get off when you "feel the deep burn in your glutes"

Seriously though, the bike was a deadset joke. If you are going to have a bike in the Crossfit Games then do a long endurance event like a 15km bike ride through the bush, and finish with a run or obstical course or something that is interesting and gets the endurance event out the way. (Road biking is more boring than watching paint dry and I hope HQ NEVER EVER puts this into the Games)
Old 08-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #50
Paul Victor French

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
BIKING: Yes, it was the most boring ever but you can't have them going around a track together. What happens when one person collides with another? Is the first less fit because he got slammed into by someone who sucks at biking? So, either ditch the bike OR have them go 1 at a time, time trial style.

SOFTBALL THROW: Javelin would have been cooler, but I have to agree: the so called fittest man should be able to throw something farther than a girl who plays middle school softball.

NO MONOSTRUCTURAL EVENTS: I was bemoaning how there would not be monostructural stuff. There wasn't any stand alone monostructural events, but the weighted pullup, snatch, and watercan carry as skills helped ease my annoyance. Though, of course, 2 minutes was WAY to short. Stuff I'd still liked to have seen:
-A sled event with more sled, less other junk (maybe sled pushing only interrupted to unload your sled, toss the weight and sled over barriers, then load up and continue). Or maybe a car push.
-A fairly pure endurance event like the 7k trail run from 2009.
-A pure strength event, strongman style; flip the heaviest tire you can. Move atlas stones. Things like that.

MISC THOUGHTS:
-A "choose how you get the work done" event would be cool, as suggested above.
-Wish Mikko could have continued. He was missed.
I may be the only person who didn't find the biking event that bad, it wasn't that exciting I agree, but I don't think the people who designed the workouts number one priority was to entertain the crowd.

I'd prefer a shotput one, or keg toss....3 throws to cover as much distance as possible.

I agree with the lack of a pure strength event, the last time they had one was at the 2009 games with the deadlift and snatch event, last year's shoulder to overhead was stupid imo, and the 2 minutes of weighted pullup and snatch directly after ruined what could have been a proper strength event.

I also like the idea of a "choose how you get the work done" event, like the sandbag move last year.

I also am one who liked the farmers carry event, I think that exercise is a good test of fitness but again didn't like how short it was and how it came right after the other 2 events.