CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
Renata Speranza

Profile:
would you believe??

Hello everybody

I have been crossfitting for the last 10 months. Besides some holiday breaks I have been doing 3-5 WODs a week, following basically Mainsite in our box and having some endurance session.

I am 162 cm and 96 kg....so really overweight.... I have been doing "low carb" (kind of paleo, but not much nuts and fruits, but some legumes instead) and 1 cheat day a week (but mostly not the complete day was a cheat!). I know I have been on a diet almost half of my life and people say, I have to be patient....I was eating approx. 1300 kcal a day in the first 6 months of CF and now increased that amount to approx. 2000 kcal a day.

So now my question to you all.... and I really would appreciate some feedback.

Would you believe, I haven't had a better body composition after all these months of CF and "diet"? I mean, the results are = 0 if I measure them. But I can feel the muscles and the strength I have now. My numbers might not be that impressive....but I think, I am a rather fit 96kg-woman.... I only think it's really strange, that there wasn't any improvement on my body composition! And I had 3 measurements since I've started with CF!!

So what's wrong with me? ....or the machines??

My coach says, it's impossible... but still the measurements are there!?!?!?

Thanks for any opinion on that!
Cheers,
Renata
Old 07-24-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
Troy Becker

Profile:
Re: would you believe??

Body composition is more than just weight- are you sure you're not confusing the terms?
Old 07-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
Vasko Naumov

Profile:

What exactly do you eat?
If you want results: no more cheat days and take out the legumes.
Eat eggs, pork meat, pork liver, butter, hard cheese, salads, some nuts(50 grams per day) and if don't drop some kilograms at 1500 kcal a day something is wrong, but don't eat fruits for some time(supplement with vitamin C) and no more cheat days at least for 2 months.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
Renata Speranza

Profile:

Hi Vasko
Thanks for your reply.

I mostly eat meat (chicken, beef, some pork) and fish (mostly salmon and tuna) and a lot of vegetables or salad. Legumes I ate mostly some kidney beans. I eat 2 eggs with vegetables for breakfast and for the last 5 days I took also 20 gr. of pure whey protein shake in the morning. I use mostly olive oil, sometimes some virgin coconut oil. No butter, no dairies. On cheat days I ate mostly the same....by adding some fruits, maybe some ice cream and some cookies. So no bingeing!

I'll go on holidays in a week for two weeks. After that I'll try to eat clean for 2 months or more, as you suggested.

I have been told, that those BF measurements are very precise (ultrasound) but I can't believe, that there hasn't been any change. It seems, that I dropped 1 size somehow...even though, when I measure parts of my body, there isn't any change either!!?!

Thanks very much for your feedback.

Ciao, Renata
Old 07-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

First, as Vasko said, cut out the legumes. They are nutritionally bankrupt and can promote inflammation. Can you tell us what an average day of eating looks like for you? Be as specific as possible; include what your cheats are (include alcohol consumption, if any) and how often you cheat.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
Vasko Naumov

Profile:

Quote:
No butter, no dairies. On cheat days I ate mostly the same....by adding some fruits, maybe some ice cream and some cookies. So no bingeing!
Start to eat butter. More fat less protein. Stop the fruits,the ice cream and the cookies for 2 months.

I'm eating at the moment no more than 10 grams of carbs per day and losing body fat super fast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	side_after_4_months.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	8139  Click image for larger version

Name:	back_after_4_months.jpg
Views:	6313
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	8140  
Old 07-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
Renata Speranza

Profile:

Christopher

Thanks for your reply.

I don't drink any alcohol. Mostly I drink water (from the tab) and some coffee.

A "normal" day for me could look the following:
breakfast
2 (whole) scrambled eggs with zucchini and some cherry tomatoes. 20 gr. of protein shake (pure whey protein) = have been taking the shakes only for about a week now or less
lunch:
approx. 250-300 gr. meat, with zucchini, red or yellow peppers, some kidney beans, olive oil
dinner:
about the same like lunch time...varying meat/fisch, vegetables etc...

snacks: dried beef meat (some swiss stuff), or some salami sticks

today I ate a whole lot of salad and beef for lunch and in the evening with chicken (usually I don't eat only salad, but I had so much "left over" I had to).

On my cheat day (usually on Saturdays) yesterday I had breakfast as usual, then I had 3 chocolate chip cookies and for "lunch" I had an Italian Ice cream (2 different kind of ice cream and some whipped cream with chocolate sauce). In the evening I had some veal with salad. I ate also 2 peaches and a piece of strawberry cake.

In a sports clinic they told me, that my body would have to recover from the "famine" it went through by doing crossfit and eating only about 1300 kcal and that it would need some time to loose weight and that I should eat at least 2000 kcal. I don't measure my eating anymore. I used to do so....now I have been trying to go back to a normal behaviour.... I admit, I didn't know anymore what normal was... :-( I try to eat,when I am hungry and not to eat, when I am not....

But if you both think, that legumes are that bad, I'll cut them off.

Thanks for your advice.
Renata
Old 07-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
Renata Speranza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasko Naumov View Post
Start to eat butter. More fat less protein. Stop the fruits,the ice cream and the cookies for 2 months.

I'm eating at the moment no more than 10 grams of carbs per day and losing body fat super fast.
Hi Vasko
I saw your results some time ago. It's really amazing!! Congratulations.

I guess, my body just needs some more time to switch "system". I don't want to start eating clean before my holidays because I couldn't keep it up during my whole holidays. But I certainly will try not to eat to much "crappy foods". After my holidays I'll start off again.

Thanks again for your help.
Renata
Old 07-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
Brett Dartt

Profile:

i think five wods a week on 1500 calories a day sounds like bull****, drop a wod a week? do like 3 or 4. that happened to me. i started crossfit alone in my house and scaled everything myself. fat flew off and i got good results till i injured my shoulder (shocker) three months later my weight was back up so i joined a new affiliate. after months i had only lost 3 pounds. problem was i was just doing to much or going to heavy trying to keep up. i mean i would push it till dehydrated (shaking and cold in wods etc.) had to stay in bed a week once even. when i backed off eventually i started seeing results.

just my own experience though. im not expert
Old 07-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #10
Zach S

Profile:

Vasko, what works for you might not work for an overweight woman who just came off a starvation diet.

Renata, how is your energy? Sleep good? How is your stress level?

You might actually benefit from higher carbs and calories in general, your metabolism could be pretty screwed up from the low cal diet/high intensity exercise. Adding carbs back in would help bring your metabolism back up.