CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 07-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #1671
Patrick Haskell

Profile:
Re: PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey

That's 200 pounds lost, if you ask me. You might want to track the trend, since you could easily be back at 226 by the end of the day, but I think that's a mark that deserves more than one dancing smiley thingy.

Glad to see the progess continuing while you focus on things other than the great American dietlog. Keep up the good work.
Congratulations!

PS How are the workout going?
Old 07-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #1672
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Request Advice: Anybody Know Anything About Training to Run a 5k With A Sandbag?

While out sandbag walking this morning, a 2 mile trip with a 65 pound bag, I came across a really skinny runner dude, and we stopped and chatted a bit. I humorously noted that we had chosen very different training methods for conditioning - me with my sandbagged brisk walks and him with his jogging.

He remarked that he was organizing a local 5k race that will be run literally a mile from my house, due to go off in early October. He mentioned that anybody can join, and that they have people with strollers, fastwalkers, etc. I asked if I could walk/jog with a sandbag, since I have already done a number of 2 mile trips, and shouldn't have too much trouble moving up to 5k. He said sure, and so I will sign up later this summer.

Somehow, I suspect I will be the only one there hauling around a sandbag.

So, Training Programs for 5k Sandbag Races?
So, does anybody know of training programs for 5k sandbag races? I can find plenty of material on the web for training for 5k runs, but nothing for hauling along a sandbag. I am thinking of a weight of around 100 to 120 pounds, although that might be too ambitious. We'll see.

My plan has been to increase my weight load by five pounds each week. Right now, I am at 65 pounds and should hit 120 several weeks before race day. I get that I don't want to go out and do 5k every day, although I might want to do that once per week. Lesser distances of a mile or two miles on other training days makes more sense, with some intervals thrown in here and there to complement and enhance the long-steady-distance work.

Any other thoughts? Any resources on the web for this sort of thing?
Old 07-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #1673
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Haskell View Post

That's 200 pounds lost, if you ask me. You might want to track the trend, since you could easily be back at 226 by the end of the day, but I think that's a mark that deserves more than one dancing smiley thingy.
Back to 226 by the end of the day? Bah! Try 234 to 236 pounds by the evening. I routinely add about 8 to 10 pounds worth of water and food, gaining that much weight during the day. I always drink at least a gallon and a half of water, usually two gallons, and sometimes as much as three gallons if I am sweating heavily. And yes, I unload about that much overnight until I weigh myself each morning. Sometimes less than that, if an evening workout produces quite a sweat. I can easily drop two pounds from sweat with a modest workout. Heavy workouts will see me lose three to four pounds, especially in hot, humid, summer weather.

Starting to understand, with massive daily fluctuations of that size, why I don't take bodyweight nearly as seriously as a fat loss metric as BFC and Waist Measurement?

Quote:
Glad to see the progess continuing while you focus on things other than the great American dietlog. Keep up the good work.
Congratulations!
PS How are the workout going?
The last few weeks, I haven't posted much at all. I am taking a break from posts. I have been doing workouts, but not as regularly as last month.

Since I am ramping up a sustained period of significant weight loss - about 2 pounds per week, I am going to have to ease off the exercise regimen. I will likely switch to a pure CFFB strength workout regimen, ditching the extra bench press and press workouts I have been doing.

For conditioning work, I will be doing a lot of sandbag carrying to prepare for this 5k race. While this is mostly LSD aerobic work, which isn't the best for overall fitness training, it is an ideal training regimen for fat loss when coupled with the CFFB workouts. Plus, walking and jogging with progressively heavier sandbags each week builds up a lot of strength in the upper back, lower back, core, and legs. The hard, sustained isometric contractions required of the back and core muscles is a great way to train those stabilizers.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #1674
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Just Posted In The Competitions Forum
To anybody reading this thread who has a reply to my 5K sandbag training query, please post that reply to the thread I started over in the "Competitions, Contests & Challenges" subforum:
Old 07-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #1675
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Seubert View Post
Request Advice: Anybody Know Anything About Training to Run a 5k With A Sandbag?
Your other thread covered this nice and concisely. If you want more info, google rucking.

Quote:
The last few weeks, I haven't posted much at all. I am taking a break from posts. I have been doing workouts, but not as regularly as last month.

Since I am ramping up a sustained period of significant weight loss - about 2 pounds per week, I am going to have to ease off the exercise regimen. I will likely switch to a pure CFFB strength workout regimen, ditching the extra bench press and press workouts I have been doing.

For conditioning work, I will be doing a lot of sandbag carrying to prepare for this 5k race. While this is mostly LSD aerobic work, which isn't the best for overall fitness training, it is an ideal training regimen for fat loss when coupled with the CFFB workouts. Plus, walking and jogging with progressively heavier sandbags each week builds up a lot of strength in the upper back, lower back, core, and legs. The hard, sustained isometric contractions required of the back and core muscles is a great way to train those stabilizers.
Glad to see you cutting back on the heavy duty posting, while keeping-up the activity level and weight loss progress. With those daily missives, I was concerned you were going to come down with the virtual equivalent of adrenal fatigue.

There's nothing wrong with LSD. It's not ideal for weight loss, and it has historcally been over-prescribed, but the pendulum hath swung to far I think. I've been doing my fair share, getting out at least once a week, even when I can't quite work gym sessions into my schedule. Here's a blog post on the topic from someone much more knowledgeable than I am:http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/...ensity-cardio/ (wfs)
Old 07-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #1676
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with LSD. It's not ideal for weight loss, and it has historcally been over-prescribed, but the pendulum hath swung to far I think. I've been doing my fair share, getting out at least once a week, even when I can't quite work gym sessions into my schedule. Here's a blog post on the topic from someone much more knowledgeable than I am:http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/...ensity-cardio/ (wfs)
I agree with you that the bashing of LSD has gotten out of hand. It has its place, even for people who aren't training for long distance endurance events. While HIIT is all the rage these days, too much of it can be quite detrimental to steady fitness progress. HIIT is very intense stuff and shouldn't be overdone.

I will say this about LSD for weight loss purposes - it can help in certain critical areas. According to Lyle McDonald, LSD can be really helpful for women especially in losing fat.

And for both men and women who are in ketosis and whose fat cells are releasing fatty acids into the lymph and bloodstreams, LSD has one vital purpose - to jack up blood and lymph circulation for enough time to get those fatty acids out and away from concentrated fatty tissues and into the circulatory system as a whole. Once those fatty acids are free and circulating, they can be converted into ketones by the liver and burned for fuel.

LSD does a great job of fully circulating fatty acids. HIIT does too, but if someone is running a severe caloric deficit, too much HIIT results in chronic elevated cortisol levels which slows down the release of fatty acids and leaves a person fatigued and ravenously hungry.

People knock LSD for not burning all that many calories, which is true. But it does other things aside from the mere burning of calories which are highly beneficial to fat loss and improved fitness.

Thus, for weight loss, a fair amount of LSD plus a little bit of HIIT is the ideal balance as far as conditioning goes. Some strength training has to play a part in all of this too. It helps to slow down LBM losses and provides beneficial hormonal spikes in HGH and testosterone after workouts.

What I like about sandbag carrying, is that it is flexible enough to provide both LSD and HIIT. And there is definitely a strength component to it. Pat, load up a sandbag to 30% of your bodyweight, shoulder it, and go walk two miles. Tell me how your ankles, calves, quads, hammies, abs, lower back, upper back, and shoulders feel the next day. Sandbag carrying definitely toughens you up.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #1677
Luke Seubert

Profile:

WOD - 5K Sandbag Carry
Since I am entering a 5K race in October carrying a sandbag, I thought it would be a good idea to actually carry a sandbag for 5k, aka 3.1 miles. Since I have already done almost half a dozen 2 mile carries without any problem, I figured I could handle 3.1 miles. So I cleaned my 65 pound sandbag to my shoulder and started off.

I finished the course without any problem, except being drenched in sweat, in an OK time of 54:46 which is a 3.40 MPH pace. This isn't bad, but I think I can improve upon this over the next few months.

People rucking a 55 pound rucksack should be able to maintain a 4.29 MPH pace, or 1 mile every 14 minutes. Such a pace allows a four minute rest every hour on extended hikes. That said, sandbag carry times generally won't match good rucking times. Rucksacks distribute their weight on the hips which is a lot easier to carry than a much heavier sandbag on the shoulders.

So while I don't think I'll manage 14 minute miles (that's a 43:24 5k), I should be able to improve on 54:46. Well, at least with a 65 pound bag. I'm not so sure about a 100 pound bag. That will be a tough one.

What is really interesting is comparing my 65 pound sandbag carry pace of 3.4 MPH over 5K to my straight up, no-sandbag walking pace over 1.1 miles from two years ago. This was back when I still weighed around 380 pounds. Back then, I could barely break 3.0 MPH walking just a mile. Nowadays, I can carry a 65 pound sandbag for three miles at a 3.4 MPH pace. That is substantially improved fitness and much better conditioning.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #1678
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Quote:
What is really interesting is comparing my 65 pound sandbag carry pace of 3.4 MPH over 5K to my straight up, no-sandbag walking pace over 1.1 miles from two years ago. This was back when I still weighed around 380 pounds. Back then, I could barely break 3.0 MPH walking just a mile. Nowadays, I can carry a 65 pound sandbag for three miles at a 3.4 MPH pace. That is substantially improved fitness and much better conditioning.
Well, that, and you're rucking 90 pounds less than you were back then.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #1679
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Quote:
Well, that, and you're rucking 90 pounds less than you were back then.
Meh. It's not the same!
Old 07-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #1680
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Haven't heard from you in awhile Luke, are you doing ok?