CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 05-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #1641
Luke Seubert

Profile:
Re: PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Haskell
I have no issue with you temporarly refocusing to make sure you are progressing on your primary goal. I continue to believe that increases in LBM will fuel faster weight loss down the road, but that can be a frustrating route to take, and there's no harm is cashing-in some of those chips once in a great while. I'm not sure that after taking a week-off from lifting is the ideal time. I'd think you'd rather have the body convinced that it needs to preserve your muscle, when you drop your calories, but it may not make a huge difference, given that you are retaining the strength work.
Well, given that I am retaining the strength work, I think I'll be OK with respect to sustaining LBM. Ultimately, in order to loss fat one must accept some LBM losses. Those losses can be limited to a fair degree, but doing so requires an exceptionally stringent diet and exercise program. I think it is easier to take the fat off, lose a bit of LBM, and then rebuild that LBM when the diet can support the training program to do so.

Quote:
May I suggest that you consider giving the SLDLs a rest while you are on a reduced-calorie diet. You were getting beat-up as it was, and you've pulled the founder back in to the mix, so your posterior chain should be getting plenty of attention in a higher-frequency, lower-intensity manner.

As an aside, I reintroduced SLDLs to my workout over the weekend, and they are, as always, surprisingly beastly even at modest loads. I had 3 or 4 sets in mind, but after a good, long oly session, I settled for two and suffered just to get there.
Yeah, I am thinking of dropping the 1x8x30 warmup set and the 2x8x50 work sets, and just swap in 3x5x50 without any warmup. Coming on the heels of a carefully warmed up 1x5 deadlift work set, I don't think warmups are needed. Doing fewer total reps and fewer reps per set should help. One of my biggest problems with the Dumbbell RDLs is maintaining breath control over 8 reps of time. 5 reps should make all of this a bit easier, while still providing some extra and unique training stimulus.

Quote:
It's easier on the body to focus on one thing at a time, too. You would make more progress on strength work, if you ate to caloric balance/surplus, but in your case, it doesn't hurt to remind your body that it can't afford to remain as big as it is. You'll make slower progress, but you get the beneft of getting stronger as you go and having a better starting place for your next weight loss push.
Yeah, I can go into ketosis and peel off some fat while staying strong, but it makes for a miserable two weeks. Lifting while carb-depleted is no fun.

Quote:
Whatever gets you back on the bus, but don't let yourself be too swayed by the false information you were working with for the last several weeks. That is, keep your expectations modest. If you don't hit the 220s with your ketogenic approach, break it off before you crash, rather than abandoning the long-term approach altogether in favor of quick returns that cost you some hard-earned progress. Rather, give this a go for a week or two and then tweak that long-term approach and try the carb cycling or some other muslce-sparing diet designed to fuel performance as well as weight loss. (I'm not suggesting your current approach isn't good for that. I only suggesting that if you think it isn't working, tweak it before abandoning the overall approach.)
Agreed. This is a two-week push, tops. After that, I'll return to carb-cycling in conjunction with training as needed. I might keep the caloric and carb intake modest to foster continued weight loss, but I'll definitely bump everything up a bit. Basically, I need to kick over my metabolism to fat burning mode and then maintain that with a bit more carbohydrate and more calories and conditioning work.

As for not being able to hit the 220's by going ketogenic, oh, I think that will happen. I am at 233.4 already as of this morning. If I can't peel off another 4 or 5 pounds over the next 12 days, then I am either quite lame or I was far more glycogen depleted already than I had thought.

Me thinking I'm not that glycogen depleted nor lame.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #1642
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Tuesday Workouts
  • Date: May 28, 2013
Early AM
  • Warmup
  • SMR
  • Basic Mobility
  • Strength Training
    • Squat: 3x5x165
    • Bench Press: 3x5x58.25
    • Sub-Max Assisted Pullups: 5 Sets of 11 Reps Throughout the Day
Comments
Warmup, SMR, and Basic Mobility all went well. I am glad I dropped the Scap Pushups and Broomstick Dislocations as my shoulder is doing much better.

Strength training went well, but I did feel the effects of a week off. I had to take an extra minute or two of rest between the latter work sets. My pullups went well, and got stronger throughout the day until the last workout which was a bit tough.

Early AM Workout
Warmup
Brisk Walk - 2.0 Miles
  • Time: 30:17
  • Heart Rate: 112 BPM
Self-Myofascial Release for Squat & Bench Press
Lower Leg
  • Plantar Fascia - Softball
  • Soleus, Peroneals & Tibialis Anterior - Stick
  • Gastrocnemius & Achilles Tendon - 4" PVC Pipe
Upper Leg
  • Tensor Fascia Latae, Anterior Gluteus Medius & Gluteus Minimus - 4" PVC Pipe
  • IT Band - 4" PVC Pipe
  • Vastus Lateralis - 4" PVC Pipe
  • Rectus Femoris - 4" PVC Pipe
  • Vastus Medialis - 4" PVC Pipe
  • Quadricep - Stick
  • Adductor - Stick
  • Hamstring - Stick
Chest
  • Pectoralis Major - Softball & Wall
Back
  • Posterior Shoulder - Softball & Wall
  • Lastissimus Dorsi - Softball & Wall
  • Thoracic and Lumbar Spine - Softball & Wall
  • Rhomboids - 4" PVC Pipe
  • Thoracic Spine - 4" PVC Pipe
Arms
  • Shoulders - Baseball
  • Triceps - Baseball
  • Biceps - Baseball
  • Wrist Flexors & Extensors - Baseball
Basic Mobility Workout
10 Reps Each
  • Yoga Twist
  • Bent Knee Twist
  • Side Twist
  • Side-Lying Trunk Twist
  • Supine Bridge
  • Cat-Camel
  • Birddog
  • Fire Hydrant
  • Calf Stretch
  • Anterior-Posterior Leg Swing
  • Side to Side Leg Swing
  • Windmill
  • Squat To Stand
Strength Training
Barbell Low Back Squat
  • Warmup Set - 5x65
    • Rest Minutes - 1
  • Warmup Set - 5x65
    • Rest Minutes - 1
  • Warmup Set - 5x90
    • Rest Minutes - 1
  • Warmup Set - 3x115
    • Rest Minutes - 2
  • Warmup Set - 2x140
    • Rest Minutes - 3
  • Work Set - 5x165
    • Rest Minutes - 3
  • Work Set - 5x165
    • Rest Minutes - 3
  • Work Set - 5x165
Unilateral Dumbbell Bench Press
  • Warmup Set - 5x22.5
    • Rest Minutes - 1
  • Warmup Set - 5x22.5
    • Rest Minutes - 1
  • Warmup Set - 5x30
    • Rest Minutes - 1
  • Warmup Set - 3x40
    • Rest Minutes - 2
  • Warmup Set - 2x47.5
    • Rest Minutes - 2
  • Work Set - 5x58.25
    • Rest Minutes - 3
  • Work Set - 5x58.25
    • Rest Minutes - 3
  • Work Set - 5x58.25
Sub-Maximal GTG Pullups
  • Number of Sets: 5
  • Number of Reps: 11 (80% of PR)
Sets Performed Periodically Throughout the Day
Neutral Grip
Stretch Tubing Assisted - Black & Blue Tubes
Old 05-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #1643
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Wednesday Workouts
  • Date: May 29, 2013
Early AM
  • Warmup
  • SMR
  • Basic Mobility
  • Strength Training
    • Max-1 Assisted Pullups: 3 Sets of 14, 9, 9 Reps for 32 Total Reps
    • Power Clean: 5x3x105
Late PM
  • Intermediate Mobility
  • Recovery Work
Comments
Warmup, SMR, and mobility work went well. I pulled a 14,9,9 = 32 Total for pullups. This is one less rep total than my last workout, but on the first set I got one more rep in, bumping up from 13 to 14. The second set was pretty weak. This is all due, I suspect, to the layoff from workouts for a week, along with lower glycogen reserves.

The Power Cleans were pretty mediocre. I did OK with the early worksets, but the last workset was quite weak with bad form. I think I will drop the load by 5 pounds for the next workout, and build up in 2.5 pound increments from there. These explosive movements are quite different when you hit the upper limit from the slower strength movements. At least with the squat or deadlift, you can struggle through a rep. But the Power Clean you can either do or you can't.

Early AM Workout
Warmup
Mini-Trampoline Rebounding
  • Time: 10:00
  • Heart Rate: n/a BPM
Self-Myofascial Release for Pullup & Power Clean
Lower Leg
  • Plantar Fascia - Softball
  • Soleus, Peroneals & Tibialis Anterior - Stick
  • Gastrocnemius & Achilles Tendon - 4" PVC Pipe
Upper Leg
  • IT Band - 4" PVC Pipe
  • Quadricep - Stick
  • Adductor - Stick
  • Hamstring - Stick
Chest
Back
Arms
  • Shoulders - Baseball
  • Triceps - Baseball
  • Biceps - Baseball
Basic Mobility Workout
10 Reps Each
  • Yoga Twist
  • Bent Knee Twist
  • Side Twist
  • Side-Lying Trunk Twist
  • Supine Bridge
  • Cat-Camel
  • Birddog
  • Fire Hydrant
  • Calf Stretch
  • Side to Side Leg Swing
  • Windmill
  • Squat To Stand
Strength Training
Pullups, Stretch Tubing Assisted - Neutral Grip - Blk-Blu Tubes
  • Max Reps Minus One - 14
    • Rest Minutes - 3
  • Max Reps Minus One - 9
    • Rest Minutes - 3
  • Max Reps Minus One - 9
Power Cleans
  • Warmup Set - 5x50
    • Rest Minutes - 1
  • Warmup Set - 5x50
    • Rest Minutes - 1
  • Warmup Set - 3x72.5
    • Rest Minutes - 2
  • Warmup Set - 2x87.5
    • Rest Minutes - 2
  • Work Set - 3x105
    • Rest Minutes - 2
  • Work Set - 3x105
    • Rest Minutes - 2
  • Work Set - 3x105
    • Rest Minutes - 2
  • Work Set - 3x105
    • Rest Minutes - 2
  • Work Set - 3x105
Late PM Workout
Intermediate Mobility Workout
10 Reps Each
  • Yoga Twist
  • Bent Knee Twist
  • Side Twist
  • Side-Lying Trunk Twist
  • Supine Scorpion
  • Prone Scorpion
  • Single-Leg Supine Bridge
  • Hip Correction
  • High Knee Walk
  • Pull-Back Butt Kick
  • Mini-Band Side Step
  • Cradle Walk
  • Running Butt Kick
  • Prone IT Band Stretch
  • Squat To Stand
Recovery Work
Posterior Chain
  • Preparatory Breathing, Stretching & Light Isometric Founder
  • Founder - Repeat 3X
  • Back Extension - 3 Sets of 10 Reps
  • Lunge Stretch - 3 Reps Left and then 3 Reps Right
  • Wide Stance Founder - Repeat 3X
Old 05-30-2013, 03:54 AM   #1644
Luke Seubert

Profile:

And Now For Something Completely Different...
This is a fascinating video, well worth the seven minute run time. Mikoka Shida definitely has a unique talent, and as she builds her intricately balanced living mobile, she displays some very impressive grip strength towards the end. That thing weighs a lot and she holds it with incredible steadiness. Observe her arm and back musculature - underneath the whole Asian hottie thing she's got going, she is quite strong.

Her showmanship and sense of timing are also quite impressive. Watch until the very end - the denouement is understated but spectacular.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #1645
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Thursday Workout
  • Date: May 30, 2013
Early AM
  • Strength Training
  • Bench Press: 3x5x60
  • Sub-Max Assisted Pullups: 6 Sets of 11 Reps Throughout the Day
Comments
With this being a light day, and my still dealing with some sunburn, I kept today's workout pretty light indeed. I skipped the warmup, mobility, and SMR work. SMR on 4" PVC with sunburned legs is no fun. So I stuck with the weight lifting and kept it at that.

Bench presses went well, with a workset at 3x5x60. I think I will hold this lift and my other lifts next week during this ketogenic diet phase.

The pullups also went well, and I got in all sets and reps scheduled for the day. I am not doing pullups tomorrow, as I want to see if at this point, less is more. I might need a bit less work and a bit more recovery. If that doesn't work, I'll try other strategies to get my rep totals up.

Early AM Workout[indent]Strength Training
Unilateral Dumbbell Bench Press
  • Warmup Set - 5x22.5
    • Rest Minutes - 1
  • Warmup Set - 5x22.5
    • Rest Minutes - 1
  • Warmup Set - 5x32.5
    • Rest Minutes - 1
  • Warmup Set - 3x40
    • Rest Minutes - 2
  • Warmup Set - 2x50
    • Rest Minutes - 2
  • Work Set - 5x60
    • Rest Minutes - 3
  • Work Set - 5x60
    • Rest Minutes - 3
  • Work Set - 5x60
Sub-Maximal GTG Pullups
  • Number of Sets: 6
  • Number of Reps: 11 (80% of PR)
Neutral Grip
Old 06-01-2013, 04:03 AM   #1646
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Busy Weekend
I am busy hauling a bunch of rubbish this weekend, and so my exercise regimen is suspended for a few days. I'll get plenty of exercise hauling boxes up stairs.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:30 AM   #1647
Luke Seubert

Profile:

This Is Why, If You Are Serious About Getting Fit and Healthy, You Must Avoid Processed Foods...
The brief article linked below explains how modern processed foods are literally "engineered" to maximize profits. How? By achieving the ideal balance of sugar, salt, and fat called the "bliss point" while at the same time achieving "vanishing caloric density". That is, when you eat a food, it is designed in such a way to disappear from the mouth so quickly that the brain thinks it hasn't eaten much and thus signals to eat more. When you combine bliss point and vanishing caloric density with cheap ingredients, i.e. nutrient poor processed oils and white carbohydrates; you get the worldwide obesity epidemic.

When you add in all the marketing and advertising, along with the food engineering, is it any wonder that processed foods are addictive? Breaking that addiction is one of the most vital keys to achieving superior health and fitness in our contemporary society. Being aware of the incredible addictive power of processed food is the first step in breaking that addiction.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:12 AM   #1648
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Weekly Update - Comments on Week 109 of Fat Loss Regimen

I made respectable progress this week, though not as much as I had hoped for. While I lost 3 pounds it would have been 5 were it not for the late week carb-up necessitated by the sudden multi-day basement cleaning project. I hope to drop back into ketosis early this week, and I might extend my June 9 ketogenic diet deadline a bit.

Be aware that many of my metrics are a bit suspect, as I have not yet replaced the Myo-Tape, which means that my composite BFC estimate is somewhat off. So take many of the numbers below with a grain of salt.

BFC dropped from 24.2% to 23.3% which is outstanding. Interestingly, the Omron led the way with its 4-day rolling average dropping from 25.5% to 24.2%, a whopping 1.3% decline! Some of that is skewed by my going into ketosis early in the week. My tape measure & formula BFC estimate was less impressive, going from 23.0% to 22.3%. But this number is likely off anyway, so it is what it is. Once I get back to accurate measurements, I expect that number to go up, which will bring my composite BFC number up as well.

Bodyweight dropped from 236 to 233 pounds. It did hit 232 and was on the way to 231 for the week, but life intervened. After dropping down to 178 for a few days, LBM popped back up to 179 which is most welcome. FBM dropped from 57 to 54 pounds, and even though I don't trust these numbers very much right now, I am still happy enough with this.

Total Body Measurements, highly suspect for now, did drop nicely this past week by around 7 cm. I did see a drop of 0.5 inches off of my waist measurement, from 36.6 to 36.1. How much of this is real versus how much is my damaged Myo-Tape continuing to stretch out a bit, I don't quite know. I did lose something off my belly this week, but I don't think it was quite half an inch.

FFMI held stedy at 21.9 which is good, while BMI dropped with Bodyweight from 29.7 to 29.3 which is also good. Right now, bodyweight is my most reliable metric which isn't saying much. But at least it is going in the right direction.

With the big and unexpected rubbish hauling project out of the way, I do not expect anything beyond normal physical exertion this coming week. This will allow me to return to my regular exercise and diet regimen. That diet regimen is, for the next week or so, a low-carb, ketogenic, Paleo diet. Once I shed some of this spare glycogen from my system and kick my metabolism into heavy fat burning mode, I will return to more vigorous exercise coupled with enough carb cycling to sustain it.

Fat Loss Metrics - Goals & Results

Below are various metrics which I use to track the status of my fat loss regimen. Each metric includes: Current Goal; Current Result; and the Initial Result from early May of 2011 when I began. Over time the Current Goals will change as I move through different phases of my program. January 12, 2014 is the deadline for my Current Goals.
Quote:
Body Fat Composition - BFC

Ultimate Goal: 10% BFC
  • Current Goal: About 15% BFC by Jan 12, 2014 - 32 weeks to go
  • Current Result: 23.3%
  • Initial Result - Early May, 2011: 48.6% BFC

Bodyweight - BW
  • Current Goal: About 202 lbs
  • Current Result: 233 lbs
  • Initial Result: 426 lbs

Lean Body Mass - LBM
  • Current Goal: About 172 lbs
  • Current Result: 179 lbs
  • Initial Result: 219 lbs

Fat Body Mass - FBM
  • Current Goal: About 30 lbs
  • Current Result: 54 lbs
  • Initial Result: 207 lbs

Waist Measurement - WM
  • Current Goal: Between 31 and 33 inches? (Maybe less?)
  • Current Result: 36.1 inches
  • Initial Result: 66.4 inches

Fat Free Mass Index - FFMI
  • Current Goal: Between 20.8 and 21.2
  • Current Result: 21.9 FFMI
  • Initial Result: 26.9 FFMI

Body Mass Index - BMI
  • Current Goal: 25.4 BMI
  • Current Result: 29.3 BMI
  • Initial Result: 53.5 BMI

Daily Metric Averages Over The Past Two Weeks

Every morning I take four measurements for my spreadsheet: Bodyweight, Omron BFC, Waist Measurement, and Neck Measurement. From this data I compute the metrics in the table below, yielding a comprehensive view of my progress. As I make changes in my diet or exercise, the effects quickly show up in these numbers. This allows me to fine-tune my fat loss regimen. Also, these numbers have proven to be a strong motivational tool. The results for each day in the table below are not the actual raw data. Instead, the results are based upon a four-day rolling average which combines the data from that day and the previous three days.

Quote:
__Date_____BFC____Weight___LBM____FBM_____WM___FFM I___BMI_
05/19/13___23.7%___237 lbs___181 lbs___56 lbs___36.8 in___22.1___29.8
05/20/13___23.7%___236 lbs___180 lbs___56 lbs___36.8 in___22.1___29.7
05/21/13___23.9%___237 lbs___180 lbs___57 lbs___36.8 in___22.0___29.8
05/22/13___23.9%___237 lbs___181 lbs___57 lbs___36.7 in___22.1___29.9
05/23/13___24.0%___238 lbs___180 lbs___57 lbs___36.7 in___22.1___29.9
05/24/13___24.1%___237 lbs___180 lbs___57 lbs___36.7 in___22.0___29.8
05/25/13___24.2%___237 lbs___179 lbs___57 lbs___36.6 in___21.9___29.8
05/26/13___24.2%___236 lbs___179 lbs___57 lbs___36.6 in___21.9___29.7
05/27/13___24.2%___236 lbs___179 lbs___57 lbs___36.6 in___21.9___29.7
05/28/13___24.1%___236 lbs___179 lbs___57 lbs___36.6 in___21.9___29.6
05/29/13___23.8%___235 lbs___179 lbs___56 lbs___36.5 in___21.9___29.5
05/30/13___23.7%___234 lbs___178 lbs___55 lbs___36.4 in___21.8___29.4
05/31/13___23.5%___232 lbs___178 lbs___55 lbs___36.2 in___21.8___29.2
06/01/13___23.3%___233 lbs___178 lbs___54 lbs___36.1 in___21.8___29.3
06/02/13___23.3%___233 lbs___179 lbs___54 lbs___36.1 in___21.9___29.3

Weekly Metric Averages Over The Past Three Months

The metric results listed below show my progress from week to week over a period of twelve weeks. This information provides a better sense of my medium-term progress.

Quote:
__Date_____BFC____Weight___LBM____FBM_____WM___FFM I___BMI_
03/10/13___25.3%___238 lbs___178 lbs___60 lbs___39.1 in___21.7___29.9
03/17/13___25.3%___235 lbs___176 lbs___60 lbs___39.2 in___21.5___29.6
03/24/13___25.5%___239 lbs___178 lbs___61 lbs___39.2 in___21.8___30.1
03/31/13___25.9%___242 lbs___180 lbs___63 lbs___39.5 in___22.0___30.5
04/07/13___26.5%___245 lbs___180 lbs___65 lbs___40.0 in___22.0___30.8
04/14/13___25.8%___240 lbs___178 lbs___62 lbs___39.1 in___21.8___30.2
04/21/13___25.4%___238 lbs___178 lbs___60 lbs___38.8 in___21.7___30.0
04/28/13___24.9%___236 lbs___177 lbs___59 lbs___38.3 in___21.6___29.6
05/05/13___24.7%___239 lbs___180 lbs___59 lbs___37.8 in___22.0___30.0
05/12/13___24.2%___238 lbs___180 lbs___58 lbs___37.5 in___22.0___29.9
05/19/13___23.7%___237 lbs___181 lbs___56 lbs___36.8 in___22.1___29.8
05/26/13___24.2%___236 lbs___179 lbs___57 lbs___36.6 in___21.9___29.7
06/02/13___23.3%___233 lbs___179 lbs___54 lbs___36.1 in___21.9___29.3

Projected Metric Estimates Based Upon Declining BFC

The table below is my poignant reminder of the task still before me. It shows estimated projections of what my fat loss metrics could look like as my BFC steadily drops, revealing how far I have yet to go. Given the crude estimate that my BFC number is, these projections are also likely to be less than accurate. Moreover, from time to time I will take breaks from fat loss, allowing me to exercise more intensely and rebuild lost muscle mass. So it is quite possible that the final Weight and LBM numbers projected at 10% BFC are a bit too low.

Quote:
BFC_To Lose_Weight___LBM_____FBM___FFMI___BMI_
22%___05 lbs___228 lbs___178 lbs___50 lbs___21.7___28.6
20%___13 lbs___220 lbs___176 lbs___44 lbs___21.5___27.6
18%___21 lbs___212 lbs___174 lbs___38 lbs___21.2___26.7
16%___28 lbs___205 lbs___172 lbs___33 lbs___21.0___25.8
15%___31 lbs___202 lbs___171 lbs___30 lbs___20.9___25.4
14%___35 lbs___198 lbs___170 lbs___28 lbs___20.8___24.9
12%___41 lbs___192 lbs___169 lbs___23 lbs___20.6___24.2
10%___47 lbs___186 lbs___168 lbs___19 lbs___20.5___23.4
Old 06-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #1649
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Monday Workout
  • Date: June 3, 2013
Early AM
  • Warmup
  • SMR
  • Basic Mobility
  • Strength Training
    • Press: 3x5x46.875
    • Sub-Max Pullups: 8 Sets of 9 Reps Throughout the Day
Later PM
  • SMR
  • Intermediate Mobility
  • GPP Minute Drill #3
Comments
I'm back in the saddle again! Although I spent all day yesterday doing heavy hauling, I also returned to my hardcore, low-carb, Paleo diet to burn off the glycogen and water I picked up over the past few days. Today I am back on my regular exercise routine. This morning, my weight continued to drop swiftly and I set new PRs on both my Omron and Tape Measure & Formula BFC estimates. The 220's are just around the corner.

Warmup went well today with a good time on my 2.0 mile walk, during which I sprinted up the two steepest hills. SMR and Mobility work likewise went well.

My unilateral dumbbell press strength training was very solid, with good form and strength in the lift. I am holding weights steady while working my way back into ketosis, but the workouts should nonetheless help build a little strength and help retain muscle mass. GTG Sub-Maximal pullup sets throughout the day likewise were strong. I am focusing on finishing the top of the lift with good form and full strength. On the last few reps of each set, I do a long, slow negative.

The evening workout was SMR, Intermediate Mobility, and Minute Drill #3. Usually I would do my Recovery workout during a hard ketogenic diet, but I did Minute Drill instead to burn off some extra carbs and energy.

Early AM Workout
Warmup
Brisk Walk - 2.0 Miles
  • Time: 29:05
  • Heart Rate: 113 BPM
Self-Myofascial Release for Press
Chest
Back
Arms
  • Shoulders - Baseball
  • Triceps - Baseball
  • Biceps - Baseball
Basic Mobility Workout
10 Reps Each
  • Yoga Twist
  • Bent Knee Twist
  • Side Twist
  • Side-Lying Trunk Twist
  • Supine Bridge
  • Cat-Camel
  • Birddog
  • Scap Pushup
  • Fire Hydrant
  • Calf Stretch
  • Side to Side Leg Swing
  • Windmill
  • Broomstick Dislocation
  • Squat To Stand
Strength Training
Unilateral Dumbbell Press
  • Warmup Set - 5x17.5
    • Rest Minutes - 1
  • Warmup Set - 5x17.5
    • Rest Minutes - 1
  • Warmup Set - 5x25
    • Rest Minutes - 1
  • Warmup Set - 3x32.5
    • Rest Minutes - 2
  • Warmup Set - 2x37.5
    • Rest Minutes - 2
  • Work Set - 5x46.875
    • Rest Minutes - 3
  • Work Set - 5x46.875
    • Rest Minutes - 3
  • Work Set - 5x46.875
Sub-Maximal GTG Pullups
  • Number of Sets: 8
  • Number of Reps: 9 (67% of PR)
Neutral Grip
Late PM Workout

Self-Myofascial Release
Upper Leg
  • IT Band - 4" PVC Pipe
  • Quadricep - Stick
  • Adductor - Stick
  • Hamstring - Stick
Butt
  • Gluteus Maximus - 4" PVC Pipe
  • Posterior Gluteus Medius - 4" PVC Pipe
  • Piriformis - 4" PVC Pipe
Intermediate Mobility Workout
10 Reps Each
  • Yoga Twist
  • Bent Knee Twist
  • Side Twist
  • Side-Lying Trunk Twist
  • Supine Scorpion
  • Prone Scorpion
  • Single-Leg Supine Bridge
  • Hip Correction
  • High Knee Walk
  • Pull-Back Butt Kick
  • Mini-Band Side Step
  • Cradle Walk
  • Running Butt Kick
  • Prone IT Band Stretch
  • Squat To Stand
GPP Minute Drill #3
  • Seconds For Each Exercise: 30
  • Exercises Per Round: 6
  • Number Of Rounds: 4
  • Seconds Of Rest Between Rounds: 60
Round Of Exercises
  1. Burpees
  2. Split Jumps
  3. Grasshoppers
  4. Burpees
  5. Split Jumps
  6. Mountain Climbers
Average Heart Rate: 118 BPM
Peak Heart Rate: High 130's BPM
Total Work Time - 12:00
Total Exercise Time - 15:00
Old 06-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #1650
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Tuesday Workouts
  • Date: June 4 , 2013
Late PM
  • Warmup
  • Strength Training
    • Barbell Low Back Squat: 3x5x165
    • Unilateral Dumbbell Bench Press: 5x60, 3x60, 5x50
    • Sub-Max Assisted Pullups: 6 Sets of 11 Reps Throughout the Day
Comments
Warmup went well with a good time and a decent heart rate. Life intervened precluding two workouts of length today, so I just did my strength training this evening.

Squats went quite well. Likely because I am deeper into ketosis now with less glycogen reserves and less energy, even though I have lifted this weight without a problem before; I finally really had to engage some hard hip drive to pull up out of the bottom with the latter reps. Up until now I haven't really done this, not like today. I now better understand what Rippetoe was talking about when he said that hip drive pulls you up out of the bottom of the squat - it feels different than just lifting with the legs. I regard this as a good development, learning better how to properly do a heavier squat.

Unilateral dumbbell bench presses weren't so good. My lifts were weak, and I didn't complete the 2nd or 3rd worksets as Rx'd. On the 2nd set, I did only 3 reps and got gassed. For the 3rd set, I cut the weight back from 60 to 50 pounds and did 5 reps. I have lifted this before at 3x5x60 without a problem. I attribute this weakness to my getting deeper into ketosis and my glycogen reserves depleting, which leaves me slightly weaker. I'll try 3x5x60 again on Thursday in hopes that this session will strengthen me enough to get the job done. That is a solo session, which should help as I won't be tired out beforehand by the squats.

Finally, I finished up with my GTG Sub-maximal pullups, doing 6 sets of 11 reps. Everything went well with these, and I hope to show some progress with tomorrow's regular pullup workout. However, since I am going into ketosis, I might not have the oomph to crank out more total reps. We'll see.

Late PM Workout
Warmup
Brisk Walk - 2.0 Miles
  • Time: 29:27
  • Heart Rate: 108 BPM
Strength Training
Barbell Low Back Squat
  • Warmup Set - 5x65
    • Rest Minutes - 1
  • Warmup Set - 5x65
    • Rest Minutes - 1
  • Warmup Set - 5x90