CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 10-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #1181
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
Re: PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey

Hi again! Sorry it took me a few days to check back in.

I guess I was wrong in thinking you were measuring all those bodyparts every day! So I was somewhat wrong in my statement. I do believe that losing 200+ is admirable and deserves a High Five. I wasn't "turning around and saying the methods used left something to be desired", as you stated it. I guess it came out wrong. I am just of the opinion that such frequent measuring of bodyparts (which I know it's weekly, and not daily!) is definitely unnecessary. That's it. It's not bad, it's just not necessary. But remember when I typed that, I thought you were measuring all of that on a DAILY basis. Now that I know it is weekly I will cut you some slack

Once you reach even average strength numbers you might end up bulkier than you think and surprise yourself Good to know that is part of the plan!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #1182
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Wednesday Weekly Trend and Bodyweight Update

Date: October 17, 2012

Today is the end of Week 76 of my fat loss regimen.

Last Week's Bodyweight Trend: 248.9 lbs
This Week's Bodyweight Trend: 245.5 lbs
Last Week's Bodyweight: 243.8 lbs
This Week's Bodyweight: 241.4 lbs
Beginning Date for Bodyweight Measurements - May 4, 2011 - Bodyweight: 425.6 lbs
Total Bodyweight Trend Lost to Date: 180.1 lbs
Total Bodyweight Lost to Date: 184.2 lbs
Average Pounds Lost per Week: 2.42 lbs/week

Comments
I lost 3.4 pounds this past week on Bodyweight Trend, and 2.4 pounds of Bodyweight since last Wednesday. This is solid, steady progress, though I should see actual Bodyweight losses a bit higher than this. I tossed in an extra carb upcycle meal early in the week, which accounts for the slower bodyweight loss rate.

Going forward, I expect Bodyweight Trend weekly loss rates to drop into the high 2's to low 3's over the coming week, finally matching my average bodyweight losses over this time. All in all, things are going well and progress is steady and in line with expectations. My Omron readings are no longer plummeting like they were, which I expected, but they do continue to slowly drop. I expect to see decent results this Saturday with body measurements and continued good progress with my Sunday LBM update.

Bodyweight, Trend, and 7-Day Loss Rate for the Past Week
The Trend listed below is an exponential moving average with 10% smoothing. It tends to overstate current bodyweight as it lags behind the real data, but it smooths out erratic bodyweight readings and shows the actual bodyweight loss rate over time. An explanation of the "Trend" calculation's utility may be found in my previous post, "Turning Bodyweight Into A Semi-Useful Metric" (WFS).

_Date______Bodyweight_____Trend_____7 Day Loss Rate
10/10/12_____243.8 lbs_____248.9 lbs_____-4.4 Lbs/Wk
10/11/12_____243.8 lbs_____248.4 lbs_____-4.1 Lbs/Wk
10/12/12_____243.2 lbs_____247.9 lbs_____-4.0 Lbs/Wk
10/13/12_____243.4 lbs_____247.4 lbs_____-3.9 Lbs/Wk
10/14/12_____241.8 lbs_____246.8 lbs_____-3.8 Lbs/Wk
10/15/12_____242.4 lbs_____246.4 lbs_____-3.7 Lbs/Wk
10/16/12_____242.0 lbs_____246.0 lbs_____-3.5 Lbs/Wk
10/17/12_____241.4 lbs_____245.5 lbs_____-3.4 Lbs/Wk
Old 10-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #1183
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Looking good on the trend Luke. Slow and steady. Strong work Luke. How are you feeling generaly?
Old 10-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #1184
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
But remember when I typed that, I thought you were measuring all of that on a DAILY basis. Now that I know it is weekly I will cut you some slack
Heh. Thanks.

Yeah, as meticulous and obsessive as I can be about tracking all this data, even I think daily body measurements is way too much. Weekly suffices, thank you. I could probably do fine with biweekly, but I like to have a finer-grained snapshot of what is going on.

Of course, the trick with body measurements has always been consistency. I have managed to screw this one up big time, but then correct it. Using a tool like the Myo-Tape helps a lot, but I have to let the tool do its job - set consistent tension on the tape measure - and not play any cinching games with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
Once you reach even average strength numbers you might end up bulkier than you think and surprise yourself Good to know that is part of the plan!
You might be right, but I don't know. We'll see by and by. I can think of numerous slender and lanky cousins in my family, as well as lanky but muscular uncles and cousins. So it is hard to say just where my genetics take me in all of this. I might wind up somewhat muscular or somewhat slender. Either way, I will be tall and long-limbed, with a large ribcage. That much I know for certain.

In the end, I am not too worried about what I'll look like. Either way, I'll be a lot leaner that I originally imagined, and I don't really have a problem with that. What I do want is to be strong, as well as powerful, as in strength combined with speed. That is something which I can definitely train for and achieve, regardless of where the genetics take my physical appearance.

One of the nice things about the downgrading of my LBM numbers, and my final projected LBM numbers; is that my current strength levels aren't quite so bad. I am referring here to the Kilgore strength standards charts for all the basic lifts for men and women of varying bodyweights. When I compare my current lifts vis a vis the standards at 181 pounds of bodyweight, rather than 220, which is closer to where I'll wind up; my current strength levels are sorta OK. Instead of being awful, my upper body strength is merely poor. Instead of being poor, my lower body strength is so-so. In time, I will improve upon all of my lifts considerably. For now, at least I am not starting from so deep in the hole.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #1185
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
Looking good on the trend Luke. Slow and steady. Strong work Luke. How are you feeling generaly?
Thank you, Nik, I appreciate the compliment.

How am I feeling generally? Eh... OK. Sorta. Losing the first 180 pounds is easy. Losing the last 60 pounds is tough. As I peel off the bodyfat, losing the rest of the bodyfat quickly becomes steadily harder. This past diet cycle has been hard to crank up and get consistent with. From time to time, I experience a fair amount of lethargy and lightheadedness. I can deal with this as the symptoms aren't too pronounced, but it is annoying.

Of greater concern is that I more frequently come down with little colds and such. I don't get severely sick, but I do feel under the weather for a few days. This was once a rare occurrence. Nowadays, it is more frequent. My immune system isn't quite as robust as it once was.

This is an understandable development. I have basically undergone slow-motion, moderated starvation for a year and a half. This grinds down the metabolism and immune system over time. I have countered this as much as possible with twice-weekly carb and calorie upcycles, and two-week, high-carb, caloric-balance diet breaks from time to time. Despite these efforts, losing 2.4 pounds per week of Bodyweight over 76 weeks takes its toll on the body.

Later this Winter, I will take an extended break from fat loss, with plenty of calories and exercise. This should allow my metabolism and immune system to recover and get stronger. I'm sure I'll feel better as a result. And I'll then be in a strong position to peel off the remaining fat come the Spring. My metabolism tends to bottom out in the depths of Winter due to a residual hibernation effect anyway, and I tend to lose more lean body mass and less fat during that time. So I think I am better off taking a break then, and working on other fitness goals for a while.

Last edited by Luke Seubert : 10-17-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #1186
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Man, you have it nailed. I was going to hit on the little colds and low imune and low carb, but you are well versed. Keep on it.

So how about just daily life moving arround ect. Joit pain and such?

I have not forgot the mobility videos for your shoulders, but like you said, it is not top of importance.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #1187
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Quote:
Man, you have it nailed. I was going to hit on the little colds and low imune and low carb, but you are well versed. Keep on it.
I try to be as self-aware as possible during this process. One of the keys to that is posting to this log, and then re-reading it from time to time to spot trends. That is how I noticed the weakened immune system issue. This, combined with my continuing research into nutrition and diet, helps me to figure out these problems and resolve them.

For example, once upon a time, I was a big fan of low-carb dieting. Nowadays, I take a much more nuanced and moderate approach based upon my personal experience and further study. Cycles of low-carb dieting can work very well for obese people who need to lose fat. But they need to eat substantial amounts of healthy carbs a few times a week, and take the occasional break from low-carb dieting entirely. Chronic low-carb consumption is bad for the metabolism and various critical hormone levels.

Quote:
So how about just daily life moving arround ect. Joit pain and such?
In this area I am doing very well indeed. I can't remember any significant joint pain recently. I can't even remember when the last time was that I took some ibuprofen for an ache a some sort. A couple of months I guess. Both my lower and upper back are much stronger, both from the strength training and far less fatigue from having to support such a big, heavy belly.

I am quite careful to warm up thoroughly for my workouts, and cool down appropriately too. My workouts are moderate, not strenuous. With daily caloric deficits of around 1,800 c/day on my PSMF days; I just can't train hard. Training less strenuously means less opportunity for injuries, aches, pains, etc.

Finally, my Paleo diet and fish oil consumption are strongly anti-inflammatory. I don't suffer nearly the silent inflammation that I once did. Losing 180+ pounds of excess weight helps with this as well.

Quote:
I have not forgot the mobility videos for your shoulders, but like you said, it is not top of importance.
Yeah, I won't be working on that stuff until late January. I'll be adding that and foam roller work as well. I'll be doing lots of interesting stuff this Winter in terms of exercise and workouts.

One of my problems during this rapid fat loss phase is that I tend to over-exercise and burn myself out. I have done it over and over and over, and always tells myself that I won't do it again, but I always do. Last month I knocked back the intensity of my weight training but moved up to 3x/week instead of 2x/week with workouts. It was too much, and I crashed yet again.

The upcoming long Winter break from severe caloric deficits is a way for me to get this issue out of my system, so to speak. With a proper mixed sport athletic diet to sustain me, I'll be able to do all sorts of hard exercise and just work on pure fitness for a while without bothering to worry at all about fatness. It will be a welcome break, both psychologically and physiologically.

Last edited by Luke Seubert : 10-17-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #1188
Luke Seubert

Profile:

WOD - Starting Strength - Extended Routine B

Date: October 17, 2012

Conditions
  • Indoors
Comments
This was another strong workout and I am kicking up all my weights and reps by pretty decent amounts once again. Carbing up throughout the day and doing my strength training later in the day definitely helps with energy levels. This is why I can really only do two strength workouts per week, coinciding with my carb upcycle days; while I am otherwise running big daily caloric deficits and losing fat the rest of the week.

Warmup
  • 2.0 Mile Walk
Squat
  • Barbell Low Back Squat - Warmup Set - 5x60
    • Rest Minutes - n/a
  • Barbell Low Back Squat - Warmup Set - 5x60
    • Rest Minutes - n/a
  • Barbell Low Back Squat - Warmup Set - 5x80
    • Rest Minutes - n/a
  • Barbell Low Back Squat - Warmup Set - 3x100
    • Rest Minutes - n/a
  • Barbell Low Back Squat - Warmup Set - 2x125
    • Rest Minutes - 4
  • Barbell Low Back Squat - Work Set - 5x145
    • Rest Minutes - 5
    • Rest Minutes - 5
Press
  • One-Hand Dumbbell Press - Warmup Set - 5x16.875
    • Rest Minutes - n/a
  • One-Hand Dumbbell Press - Warmup Set - 5x16.875
    • Rest Minutes - n/a
  • One-Hand Dumbbell Press - Warmup Set - 5x23.125
    • Rest Minutes - n/a
  • One-Hand Dumbbell Press - Warmup Set - 3x29.375
    • Rest Minutes - n/a
  • One-Hand Dumbbell Press - Warmup Set - 2x35.625
    • Rest Minutes - 5
  • One-Hand Dumbbell Press - Work Set - 5x42.5
    • Rest Minutes - 5
    • Rest Minutes - 5
Pullup
  • Pullups - Tubing Assisted - Blk-Blu-Org-Ylw - 13 reps
    • Rest Minutes - 5
    • Rest Minutes - 6
Biceps Curl & Triceps Extension Superset
  • Dumbbell Arnold Curl - Work Set - 5x28.75
  • Dumbell Triceps Extension - Work Set - 5x23.75
    • Rest Minutes - 5
    • Rest Minutes - 5
Power Clean
(Listed weight is for each of two dumbbells)
  • Dumbbell Power Clean - Warmup Set - 5x17.5
    • Rest Minutes - n/a
  • Dumbbell Power Clean - Warmup Set - 5x17.5
    • Rest Minutes - n/a
  • Dumbbell Power Clean - Warmup Set - 5x24.375
    • Rest Minutes - n/a
  • Dumbbell Power Clean - Warmup Set - 3x31.25
    • Rest Minutes - n/a
  • Dumbbell Power Clean - Warmup Set - 2x38.125
    • Rest Minutes - n/a
  • Dumbbell Power Clean - Work Set - 3x45
    • Rest Minutes - 3
    • Rest Minutes -3
    • Rest Minutes - 3
    • Rest Minutes - 4
Old 10-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #1189
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Seubert View Post
In this area I am doing very well indeed. I can't remember any significant joint pain recently.
Upon further consideration, I have to correct this statement.

I have an old injury in my left shoulder. Well, sort of between the shoulder joint and the upper bicep - some scar tissue I suspect. Sometimes, when I extend my elbow and raise my arm in front of me, the area feels stiff and might sting a bit.

This problem gets worse if I sleep on my left side, compressing my shoulder joint during the night. Happily, with continued weight loss, I am comfortable sleeping on my back, which definitely helps heal up this area.

Additionally, all my various upper body strength exercises are helping as well. This old injury is slowly healing up, and there are a number of days now where I barely notice it. I believe that some day it will be completely gone, much as my once dinged-up left knee used to be weak and blow out on me now and then. It has been solid and strong for quite a long time now. Thank you deep back squats.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #1190
Luke Seubert

Profile:

WOD - Walking Day
  • Date: October 18, 2012
Conditions
  • Temperature: 69 F
  • Heat Index: 69 F
  • Humidity: 66%
Comments
This was a brisk but not especially fast walk, coming as it did less than 24 hours after my strength training workout. Still, it was a good, moderate aerobic workout, and I got a lot of blood pumping and worked up a good sweat thanks to being overdressed for the warmer-than-expected temps. Workouts like this aid in recovery as well as depleting glycogen reserves, putting me back into ketosis. This was an especially good workout for my legs and lower body, as I was still feeling the effects of the squats and power cleans from yesterday.

With all the heavy and eventually damp clothing, my heart rate monitor flaked out again and didn't send clean signals to my wrist watch, hence the "???" after the 102 BPM listed below.

Walk - 3.1 Flat and Hilly Miles - 5k (Current PR - 43:04 @ 124??? BPM on 09/23/12, 4.32 MPH)
  • Time: 48:49
  • Heart Rate: 102??? BPM