CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
Daniel Frankel

Profile:
Yet another SS question...

I don't currently have a copy of my SS book as I lent it to a friend, so I figured I'd just post this question:

If I am eating right, sleeping right, and doing SS with nothing on the side (no trampolining as I am off during the summer, no metcons obviously, etc.), what would be an appropriate amount of weight to jump for each lift in between workouts. This will be my first linear progression program and I have done little strength work in the past. Here is what I was thinking:

DL --> +15
BS --> +10
BP --> +10 (Maybe +5)
OHP --> +5
PC --> +5

And then obviously as my sets get slower, or I miss reps, make much slower jumps
Old 06-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:
Re: Yet another SS question...

Ideally, you could/should make 10lbs jumps on the squat and deadlift, and 5lbs jumps on the other lifts. I did 10lbs jumps on my deadlift for 100lbs. My squat, that's another story. Though I would personally make 5lbs jumps on the squat; it's still 60lbs a month.

When it comes time for your first reset, set the weight back about 10% and cut the jumps in half. You should invest in some 1.25lbs plates for this. I guarantee it'll be worth it.

Also, pick up Practical Programming for Strength Training 2nd ed. It goes more in depth as far as the actual programming goes. For instance, Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training 2nd ed doesn't talk about the advanced novice, which I'm currently doing for my squats. It's for when you can no longer make the workout to workout jumps, but aren't quite ready for an intermediate program.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I would go slow and steady as opposed to being in a hurry to stall out. That means 5lb jumps on everything but deadlifts which would be 10lbs. In the long run you'll benefit from the extra time spent reinforcing good form at lower weights, and you're only delaying your race to a 300lb (or whatever) squat by a few weeks if you take it slow.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I would go slow and steady as opposed to being in a hurry to stall out. That means 5lb jumps on everything but deadlifts which would be 10lbs. In the long run you'll benefit from the extra time spent reinforcing good form at lower weights, and you're only delaying your race to a 300lb (or whatever) squat by a few weeks if you take it slow.
This is the standard amount for jumps for a male and it works quite well. Go with that.

Just remember to start off low and ramp up. You should be going for at LEAST 2 weeks before you start hitting the weight you could have done before. For example, if right now you can back squat 175 for 3 sets of 5, then start at 135 or 145 and work your way up. It will pay off.

How long do you plan to be on SS and how much weight do you plan to gain?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
This is the standard amount for jumps for a male and it works quite well. Go with that.

Just remember to start off low and ramp up. You should be going for at LEAST 2 weeks before you start hitting the weight you could have done before. For example, if right now you can back squat 175 for 3 sets of 5, then start at 135 or 145 and work your way up. It will pay off.

How long do you plan to be on SS and how much weight do you plan to gain?
I originally was just going to do it this summer, but after having a bit of an epiphany after watching the CANEAST Regionals last weekened, i realised that my bodyweight movement numbers are perfectly fine, but my strength is really far down in comparison to most crossfitters. Now, in my defense, im still a 16 (next month) year old kid who is obviously still growing, but Id like to just focus on strength for awhile, and I figured I would just do it until I stop making gains, and maybe reset a couple times (Any suggestions on how many before switching programming/programs?)

Weight-wise, I just figured that I would attempt to eat well, but as much as possible, and accept any gains that come. Is this bad? Should I have a target, and not stray from it? I currently weigh about 129-130.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

I think this is pretty much what we told you months ago.... Yes, adults do know what they're talking about now and then...

At 16, no, you should not try to stay below a weight target. Especially since you're already underweight for your height. Eat anything you can catch.

Katherine
Old 06-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #7
David Meverden

Profile:

Plans and goals almost always help.

I think to get really solid increases out of this you should commit to gaining 30#. Maybe even more. I'd guess that 160# at 5' 6" would be a pretty good weight from which to assess your next goals. Once you get to there, maybe stall out on SS, you can decide if you want to go heavier and get even stronger, or you could go the other way and lean back out a little bit to get faster while staying pretty strong.

For food I would start somewhere in the 4000 kcal range and track your weight. If you aren't gaining around 10 lbs a month you aren't eating enough.

As for stalls, to get the most out of the linear progression most people will do two resets. After that the returns are pretty diminishing.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #8
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I think this is pretty much what we told you months ago.... Yes, adults do know what they're talking about now and then...

At 16, no, you should not try to stay below a weight target. Especially since you're already underweight for your height. Eat anything you can catch.

Katherine
Haha, i looked back at that thread i made, and find it amusing that i wanted to get stronger eithout geting bigger.

And eating wise, perfect, thats makes it all the much easier.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #9
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
Haha, i looked back at that thread i made, and find it amusing that i wanted to get stronger eithout geting bigger.

And eating wise, perfect, thats makes it all the much easier.
You'll like a bigger you. Many girls will like you more, and many guys will respect you more.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:31 AM   #10
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
You'll like a bigger you. Many girls will like you more, and many guys will respect you more.
Well, I'm looking forward to it